Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is flexibility so appreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Try doing a sitsspin without bending your knees. The definition of flexibility is being able to bend.
    Well, yes...but I can bend my knees. My elbows, too. I do not consider myself to have extraordinary flexibility on that account.

I cannot raise my leg over my head, with or without hand assist. I just tried it. I can only get about a forty-five degree split. Not flexible enough.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    hey, didnt you see the sign of the topic :Dont try this at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, yes...but I can bend my knees. My elbows, too. I do not consider myself to have extraordinary flexibility on that account.

I cannot raise my leg over my head, with or without hand assist. I just tried it. I can only get about a forty-five degree split. Not flexible enough.
    Flexibilty was never my strong point either but it can improve if you work at it. Some people are definitely born with more but activities like Dance and Yoga can help. In my case it was 3 years of BJJ training that added greatly to my flexibilty. But I could have studied Yoga or anything else for years and never would have approached Sasha's flexibilty.
    But like you, I can bend my knees. I can also touch my toes although it is easier after a few beers.

i think flexibility is something you earn in young age, the youngest the better, and you conserve a percentage of it as years go by, as long as you exercise it once a while. I dont know if you can manage to increase your range of motion and bring your foot to your ear, no matter how you practice, once being an adult.

I can also touch my toes although it is easier after a few beers.
    try few more beers and you might end up like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tte_spiral.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    i think flexibility is something you earn in young age, the youngest the better, and you conserve a percentage of it as years go by, as long as you exercise it once a while. I dont know if you can manage to increase your range of motion and bring your foot to your ear, no matter how you practice, once being an adult.

try few more beers and you might end up like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tte_spiral.jpg
    I would need vodka to even think about such a position
    Sasha

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Flexibility is also in your genes - my dad for example, really really old these days - can still do loads of stuff most people my age can't do. When I was doing gymnastics as a teen, everything that had to do with flexibility came so easy to me, I never had to work on flexibility much.

1. Why did you use the modifier extraordinary and what did it mean?

2. Well, you can if you take Acrobatic classes.

Oh, I forgot:

Baseball Players need to stretch those bodies to catch line drives.

I can't believe that fans think only of I Spins and acrobatics as flexibility. They should visit a Rehab Center. Those patients are hoping they get the flexibility back to move all those broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    1. Why did you use the modifier extraordinary and what did it mean?
    By exraordinary I meant, moreso than most people. I can bend my knee, but not any more than other people can.

Sasha Cohen has extraordinary flexibility because she can twist and bend in ways that most people cannot.

I think what we are talking about on this thread is whether or not exhibitions of extraordinary flexibility, as we see in skaters liike Sasha, adds anything of value to a skating program.

(Then there is truly feaky flexibility, like contortionists who can lock their legs behind their heads and walk around on their hands . But that sort of thing does not apply to figure skating.)

2. Well, you can if you take Acrobatic classes.
    I fear it is too late.
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-18-2009 at 09:00 AM.

I think maybe we have in mind flexibility as the ability of further things than those an everyday person can do when healthy .

ok mm said it with better words
    Last edited by seniorita; 06-18-2009 at 09:03 AM.

By exraordinary I meant, moreso than most people. I can bend my knee, but not any more than other people can.

Sasha Cohen has extraordinary flexibility because she can twist and bend in ways that most people cannot.

I think what we are talking about on this thread is whether or not exhibitions of extraordinary flexibility, as we see in skaters liike Sasha, adds anything of value to a skating program.

(Then there is truly feaky flexibility, like contortionists who can lock their legs behind their heads. But that sort of thing does not apply to figure skating.)
    I noticed you didn't explain acrobatics as in Cirque du Soleil.
    I just think flexibility is the wrong word. I would think supple would be a better word which descibes many skaters, especially Michelle Kwan. For Sasha's ability to perform acrobatic skating as one would perform acrobatic gymnastics which she studied is an innovative addition to her programs, but there have always been skaters who did acrobatics on ice, and so many more since the scoring gets higher points. Denise should be praised with this. But is it figure skating? That's THE question.

I fear it is too late.
    Nah. It is a lot of work though and even fromer acrobats after retiring do not wish to make a comeback. If you don't use it, you lose it.

Custom Title
    IMO, Sasha enhances her programs with beautiful moves that are highlighted by her extraordinary flexibility:
    http://www.sasha-cohen.com/wp-conten...ha-cohen-1.jpg

And she is capable of positions that are too extreme for me to enjoy if she placed them in programs:
    http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/G...74178_8521.jpg

Beautiful figure skating:
    http://www.artsboston.org/images/eve...haCohen_SM.JPG
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/3...7843f7.jpg?v=0

Too much:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/phot...0/01/cohen.jpg
    http://assets.gearlive.com/tvenvy/bl...ents_sasha.JPG

However, those "too much" pictures are stretching exercises that allow her to do the "beautiful skating" moves.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I fear it is too late.
    Like Joe said, Nah.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...5-2862,00.html
    Be sure to watch the video.

I see a sit spin as something anyone with average flexibility that is mostly healthy can accomplish with the right muscle strength and some work. I see a full split spiral as something that requires extraordinary flexibility beyond what an average healthy person can expect to achieve even with some work.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast