Should the ISU expand the field for the Grand Prix final? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Should the ISU expand the field for the Grand Prix final?

i love to skate

Medalist
I can see how your view is fine and does show a fair approach and respect for the Olympic spirit. BTW, I like hockey much better played on International size rinks with Intl rules.

We really are opposite! :laugh: I prefer it on NHL sized ice. I am so happy that's what is will be played on Vancouver! I can't wait for the Olympics!!

janetfan

Match Penalty
We really are opposite! :laugh: I prefer it on NHL sized ice. I am so happy that's what is will be played on Vancouver! I can't wait for the Olympics!!

Maybe being from Philly and having watched the Flyers "neanderthal" approach to hockey for so many years has heightened my respect for the skill I see in the Olympic tournament. :yes: I like the emphasis on passing and skating skill rather than "dumping the puck into the corner and trying to check your opponent through the boards" style that the Flyers have played since the 70's.

Back closer to topic - will the GP series be televised in Canada next season (other than Skate Canada?)

i love to skate

Medalist
Back closer to topic - will the GP series be televised in Canada next season (other than Skate Canada?)

No, I don't think the CBC will be broadcasting the GP events (besides Skate Canada). I think they are trying to come up with a solution so they can afford to but with the CBC being publicly owned they have really taken a hit with the recession. I believe they also cannot afford to renew their contract due to the high asking price of the ISU. It's really disappointing how the ISU has handled the broadcast rights for many countries.

janetfan

Match Penalty
No, I don't think the CBC will be broadcasting the GP events (besides Skate Canada). I think they are trying to come up with a solution so they can afford to but with the CBC being publicly owned they have really taken a hit with the recession. I believe they also cannot afford to renew their contract due to the high asking price of the ISU. It's really disappointing how the ISU has handled the broadcast rights for many countries.

That's sort of the point I was referring to about adding more skaters to the GPF. It feels like that old question "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it still make a sound." Actually I always thought that was a silly old saying. But I think the ISU needs to find a way to get more skating back on the air in N. America before they worry about changing formats to their existing events. Of course if they are making so much money from the Asian federations maybe they don't need to worry about the N. American market. I just find it hard to feel bad for them when they say they are so pressed for cash if that is their attitude.

The ISU is in a tough position with respect to television negotiations in North America. If they give the broadcast rights away for free (which is basically what they did for LA Worlds), they are devaluing their own product.

But if they drive a harder bargain, then they are pricing themselves out of the game altogether.

The USFSA is in a similar pickle. As I understand their contract with NBC, the amont of money NBC pays for Skate America and U.S. Nationals is zero. It is up to the USFSA to sell enough advertising to break even.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The ISU is in a tough position with respect to television negotiations in North America. If they give the broadcast rights away for free (which is basically what they did for LA Worlds), they are devaluing their own product.

But if they drive a harder bargain, then they are pricing themselves out of the game altogether.

The USFSA is in a similar pickle. As I understand their contract with NBC, the amont of money NBC pays for Skate America and U.S. Nationals is zero. It is up to the USFSA to sell enough advertising to break even.

Thanks mm. What might be some of the reasons that skating has sunk to this low level of TV marketabilty in N. America?
And even if it seems like a step back - how badly does US Skating need Sasha and MICHELLE back???
I think there can be little doubt that US singles skaters are lacking in charisma. I don't like to say that but it seems more than obvious to me. I happen to really like many of them - but I still see no one - male or female coming close to what Sasha and especially Michelle brought to the table.
Maybe those thoughts have nothing to do with the current plight but if not, then what are the reasons networks can't sell skating to their sponsors??

What might be some of the reasons that skating has sunk to this low level of TV marketabilty in N. America?

My own personal opinion is that the root cause is a societal shift that the figure skating establishment has little control over.

If you think of a figure skating competition as half sporting event, half beauty contest, it is the beauty contest part that people are just not interested in any more. It seems quaint and old-fashioned -- if not outright objectionable -- to line up a bunch of pretty girls in skimpy costumes and make them perform cute little routines for us.

The Miss America Pagaent used to be huge in the 1950s. Now, I think we have moved on. (JMO.)

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist

The ISU brought on this problem themselves though. They should have realized their asking price was much too high compared to what the Networks were willing to pay. The ISU should have dropped down the price much sooner than they did. That's why they had to give away the rights for practically nothing. They also shot themselves in the foot with trying to package figure skating and speed skating together. The ISU needs to realize this is not the late 90's and they can't ask for astronomical prices anymore....especially considering the world recession.

The sinking of figure skating began not with SLC, although that was the final straw, it was the childish antics on Sunday afternoon TV. The TV ratings were so bad, the networks had to dump these silly comps. I will admit that some fans loved it but since I am a sports fan, I actually hated them. It made Figure Skating look like children dressing up and skating for the fun of it. It was baaaad for the sport.

With viewers switching to cable on Sunday afternoons for a Yankees or Mets game ...... well, you know the rest.

We are hoping that NBC will show not only a profit with their sponsors of Figure Skating, but also a higher ratings than in the previous OLYS.

Keep tuned.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The sinking of figure skating began not with SLC, although that was the final straw, it was the childish antics on Sunday afternoon TV. The TV ratings were so bad, the networks had to dump these silly comps. I will admit that some fans loved it but since I am a sports fan, I actually hated them. It made Figure Skating look like children dressing up and skating for the fun of it. It was baaaad for the sport.

With viewers switching to cable on Sunday afternoons for a Yankees or Mets game ...... well, you know the rest.

We are hoping that NBC will show not only a profit with their sponsors of Figure Skating, but also a higher ratings than in the previous OLYS.

Keep tuned.

I agree that too many silly network produced skating shows probably did more to hurt skating's image than help it. Let's hope NBC and it's cable stations will show more this year. Geez, I would like to see TEB on TV instead of YouTube clips but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens next season.
But I also think ISU got too greedy as was pointed out in a previous post and they hurt themselves along with skating fans..

Medusa

Record Breaker
Geez, I would like to see TEB on TV instead of YouTube clips but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens next season.
Russian TV is the answer. And Eurosport will hopefully broadcast the Grand Prix again.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Russian TV is the answer. And Eurosport will hopefully broadcast the Grand Prix again.

Thanks medusa but I don't get those stations here. Any thoughts about icenetwork? I thought about subscibing - but again, I am not wild about little clips on my computer as opposed to what I can see on my much bigger television

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Any thoughts about icenetwork? I thought about subscibing - but again, I am not wild about little clips on my computer as opposed to what I can see on my much bigger television

What you can see on your much bigger television may be nothing if the event is not broadcast. I have trouble with IceNetwork giving me a black screen during big events. I don't know if I will resubscribe.

janetfan

Match Penalty
. I have trouble with IceNetwork giving me a black screen during big events. I don't know if I will resubscribe.

Thanks P-Bob, I appreciate hearing your thoughts on that.
If you meet Sweet Caroline at the reception please tell her that I love her skating :love:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Thanks medusa but I don't get those stations here. Any thoughts about icenetwork? I thought about subscibing - but again, I am not wild about little clips on my computer as opposed to what I can see on my much bigger television
Hmpf. Russian TV is through Internet, costs something though; 40€ for 3 months I think? I don't want to advertise for them here, but it worked pretty well for me during last season, it also included Russian Nationals, which was a treat. And the resolution is okay, I have a wide screen monitor and it was very nearly like a TV. Plus, it does wonders for your Russian skills.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Hmpf. Russian TV is through Internet, costs something though; 40€ for 3 months I think? I don't want to advertise for them here, but it worked pretty well for me during last season, it also included Russian Nationals, which was a treat. And the resolution is okay, I have a wide screen monitor and it was very nearly like a TV. Plus, it does wonders for your Russian skills.

Thanks for the tip medusa. My Russian could use some brushing up.
So could my German, French and Spanish. I suffer from the American "Do you speak English" syndrome. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
yes i used it also last year and it was great, they aired the whole event, from the very first skater, and they replayed the competitions after weeks. Reception is very good.
Slight problem is that at the end of the day, my head was so boiled from russian language that i actually thought i understood what they were saying.:pBut they dont speak much, usually they let you enjoy the program.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Thanks for the tip medusa. My Russian could use some brushing up.
So could my German, French and Spanish. I suffer from the American "Do you speak English" syndrome. :)
We should have international forums here. One in French, one in German, one in Japanese, one in Korean, one in Spanish...
Slight problem is that at the end of the day, my head was so boiled from russian language that i actually thought i understood what they were saying.:pBut they dont speak much, usually they let you enjoy the program.
Haha. Same goes for me. You listen Russian the entire day, you write loads of English posts at Goldenskate and some French at Passion Patinage - and when I called my Mum in the evening I was like: Wait, can I still speak German?

seniorita

Record Breaker
We should have international forums here. One in French, one in German, one in Japanese, one in Korean, one in Spanish..

and one greek..?so i can ramble alone there? :sheesh:
i didnt know Passion Patinage, is it a forum?although speaking in french about skating is almost like shooting my brain, c 'est pas possible!