World title brings new attention to Lysacek | Page 4 | Golden Skate

World title brings new attention to Lysacek

jennylovskt

Medalist
Article about Evan Lysacek who was interviewed while at Champs Camp this past weekend: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090617&content_id=5371144&vkey=ice_news

"If I've ever thought about placing or winning, I don't do well," he explained. "If I say, 'I have to win,' it doesn't happen. I didn't go into worlds thinking 'I have to win, I'm going to win, I can win,' I just went in with my blinders on and did my job. That has a lot to do with my coach, Frank Carroll, he said, 'You don't have to do anything except skate your best.' That's definitely going to be my approach."

This is ultimately the winning strategy for any thing.:yes:

merrybari

Final Flight
This is ultimately the winning strategy for any thing.:yes:

Quote:
"If I've ever thought about placing or winning, I don't do well," he explained. "If I say, 'I have to win,' it doesn't happen. I didn't go into worlds thinking 'I have to win, I'm going to win, I can win,' I just went in with my blinders on and did my job. That has a lot to do with my coach, Frank Carroll, he said, 'You don't have to do anything except skate your best.' That's definitely going to be my approach."

ITA!! :agree: None better!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
No not really - for me he shines with whatever he chooses. My thought is that only he can do it THAT way! not that no one else could skate to that music. I enjoy seeing what he brings to the ice - he always brings me into the program with him - whatever it might be. That's what's important over and above the music choice to me.

For that matter, I like to see what any skater can do with the music THEY choose. I probably could watch all skaters skate to the same music and enjoy each and every one for the specialness they bring to it. That's just me.
Yes, I guess we just have a different approach to things; I really appreciate it when skaters think outside the box when it comes to music choices (and program construction, too ;)). I can deal with CDs in dance, but if I had to watch all the ladies skate to Carmen or something... :eek:!

merrybari

Final Flight
Yes, I guess we just have a different approach to things; I really appreciate it when skaters think outside the box when it comes to music choices (and program construction, too ;)). I can deal with CDs in dance, but if I had to watch all the ladies skate to Carmen or something... :eek:!

CDs are a different story for me. :) Doesn't bother me that the music is the same, but after a while it does get tiring that mostly the steps are the same too.

I appreciate outside the box for EX and he's gone way outside it with Stronger this season and Billie Jean last. I happen to like it/them, but others don't.

For competition I think skater/athletes who have been training a lifetime to reach a goal need to be smart as well especially in the age of COPs and consider if the JUDGES appreciate outside the box thinking. They are the ones who control the results. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And sometimes it seems it depends on the skater - lots of pre-conceptions despite disclaimers otherwise.

Besides - in Evan's case I think he stepped way outside the box going to TT last season to re-invent himself - music and skating, which ultimately saw him reach the top of the world.

Isn't it fun to speculate? And that's what this is, actually, because we have no idea what he'll skate to this year. Neither does he at this point until he and Lori put their heads together. I wonder if he's as curious as we are. :) Personally I can't wait to find out.

One thing we can be sure of, is that some of us will be happy with his - and other skaters - choices and other's won't. In the end it's what the skater likes that counts. I just appreciate the skill, time and effort put into the programs and being in the building to watch the results, (program not scores) whatever they may be.

Which brings us back full circle - different strokes. Fun to share thoughts though! :agree: