I have this famous Michelle poster (photo by sports photographer Dave Black). I got it for free by sweet-talking Shep Goldbreg’s secretary.
The Maxxis tire company put out a series of Michelle posters that they would send you for free if you asked for one.
Nice posters mm. I did notice Michelle's hands right away
Here is a link to some Fine Art posters with skating themes.
I don't think these are what jjane is looking for - but I have several of them and like them alot. The "Bonnard" is in my study, others I put up for the holiday season.
AFAIK, Evan and Caroline don't have posters... skating isn't co$t effective to produce mass quantities. Though you might check the USFSA's online store, maybe they have something?
L'art pour l'art
Just make some fanart in really high resolution and go to a print / copy-shop to have it printed on 60cm x 90cm or something like that.
Wouldn't you have to get permission to use the photos first in order to make fanart? Not sure how this works, info appreciated. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Medusa
Technically, permission is needed for any kind of reproduction or even recreation (e.g. Obama hope poster by Fairey), for the purpose of personal wall decor guess one can get away with it.
However, the high resolution part seems to be most difficult. I am not a great painter (lol), and there is a limit how much software can enlarge a photo without compromising quality significantly.
Up to this point I see potential solutions as
1) Sweet talk a FS photographer into releasing a good photo strictly for personal use. I actually wonder if skaters themselves own royalty-free high resolution images that they don't mind sharing? :P
2) Go to shows and competitions with a good camera, take photos when allowed
3) Recording HD broadcasts (did I understand it right Medusa? Huge equipment barriers for me here)
4) Purchase a photo from Gettyimages. Confirmed that they do not sell prints. Most feasible, just $$$$$$$$$$$$. (any other sites carry figure skater photos?)
Golden Skate forum folks are GREAT, thank you for alllllll your inputs!
5) Sweet talk USOFA or USOC or TeamUSA.org into carrying skater posters or partnering with some custom-printing sites. Technology innovations enabled on-demand-production already, no mass production is necessary...
Last edited by jjane45; 06-18-2009 at 05:17 PM.
I have the Maxxis posters. If you are interested, PM me.
Originally Posted by Mathman
Thank you everyone
OK I am giving up "standard" size posters for now, settling with 8x10 prints from web images, plus will order customized T-shirts from photo-generated silhouettes. Did I mention I want these autographed someday?
Off topic: what do you ask skaters to autograph on? I've only been to two smaller ice shows and majority of the people seem to just buy programs for autograph purposes?
Last edited by jjane45; 06-20-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Mrs. Roman Kostomarov
I have autographed programs, a t-shirt and a club jacket
Originally Posted by jjane45
Evan Lysacek signed a USFSA tshirt for me... but most of my autographs are on photos or programs