Why GS has some different guidelines | Golden Skate

Why GS has some different guidelines

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
How GS is Different from other skating forums?

We are a news service as well as a forum.

We have individuals at events with press passes who go to the press events and write great, detailed reviews of the events.

We have great interviews with skaters. In fact, we get really good interviews on GS exactly because we do not allow indiscriminate trashing of skaters or coaches, nor do we allow unsupported rumors.

So before you post something that is thoroughly outrageous about a skater or team, consider how you (Jane Skatesalot) would respond to a request for a GS interview in the following case. You've never heard of GS, so you check it out to see whether or not you wish to be associated with GS. Now suppose you read on GS:

"Jane Skateslot reminds me of a vulture who eats her young."

If a GS reporter then asks:

"So, Jane , how about an exclusive interview for Golden Skate?"

What do you think you will tell the GS reporter? What do you think you will tell your friends, who are also elite skaters about GS?

GS also is intended to be a resource for young skaters, so we try to maintain a Suitable for Young Teens rating. As a result, we are quite picky that your language would be G rated, so to speak.

Are there any other guidelines that you find different or would like to ask questions about?

If so, bring it on. It's the off-season, and it's a good time to talk about these things.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Good post, and I particularly want to thank you for writing "different from" instead of "different than". Bless you for that. :clap:

skamper23

Medalist
How GS is Different from other skating forums?

We are a news service as well as a forum.

We have individuals at events with press passes who go to the press events and write great, detailed reviews of the events.

That would be my dream job, to travel around to skating events and shows and write about them! :rock:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Well that's why I'm on golden skate and not some other forum - on most other forums there's too much trashing!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I remember a few months ago, I logged on and dropped into the middle of a vicious argument. I posted a note - "I thought I clicked on FSUniverse!" :laugh:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I remember a few months ago, I logged on and dropped into the middle of a vicious argument. I posted a note - "I thought I clicked on FSUniverse!" :laugh:
That was probably me trashing the Superchan. I still feel bad about it. I honestly do, I really don't know why I am sometimes like dog with a bone, I just can't seem to let it go.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
That was probably me trashing the Superchan. I still feel bad about it. I honestly do, I really don't know why I am sometimes like dog with a bone, I just can't seem to let it go.

The problem is, sometimes things come out much worse written than how they're intended to. Sometimes normal criticism can sound really nasty, especially if one is talking about overgraded skaters - then it just sounds as if you think the skater is rubbish.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
The problem is, sometimes things come out much worse written than how they're intended to. Sometimes normal criticism can sound really nasty, especially if one is talking about overgraded skaters - then it just sounds as if you think the skater is rubbish.

That's true. Especially if you are not writing in your own language. The posts can easily be misunderstood.

sorcerer

Final Flight
When someone points out a skater's shortcomings, what bothers me the most is the question "Is this to encourage the skater or just denouncing him/her?"

I can see, most of the time, the love for figure skating behind severe words, and so I can read it as encouragement.

But there are times, though rare, that I feel as if it's not only denouncing but intentionally discouraging the skater and his/her fans.

Occasional maliciousness is not only on other boards...including the one on ISU...but also on GS, it's something universal, maybe even something humain.

I imagine that moderation is really hard work, but I would welcome courageous controll over any malicious statements to the eyes of the mods.
Even if moderation turns out once in a while overdoing, I think GS members will understand.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Indeed. The moderators do have a difficult job and I applaud them for the work they have done in trying to keep the GS Forum a friendly, yet fun and informative one. :rock: On that note, members should be aware that the moderators do not act as individuals, but as a "team". They carefully review and discuss (as a group) what actions, if any, should be taken when post is reported or a situation arises that needs special attention. And they do this for free.

We pride ourselves in allowing people to voice their opinions. We do not like, nor have the time, to censor every post. Hence the Guidelines.

With that said, there are many ways to voice an opinion without trashing a person and/or starting a rumor. For example, I've seen posts that read something to the effect:

..so and so has anexoria...

This is totally unacceptable unless this has been made public by the skater(s). Therefore, an acceptable post would be:

..so and so appears frightfully thin.

Another example:

Asian skaters are....

This can be very offensive for both skaters and posters. While the term "asian" is a universal demonym for people from Asia, it emcompasses about 60% of the world's population! Therefore, a more acceptable and less discriminate way would be:

Chinese skaters are....

...or Japanese, or Korean, etc....

You get the idea....the Guidelines say it all, so when in doubt, check it out. ;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
As one who can get a bit "snarky" at times, I can say with total confidence that the GS mods are a great group who are more than just, fair and above board when dealing with problem children. :clap::clap::clap:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I can say with total confidence that the GS mods are a great group who are more than just, fair and above board when dealing with problem children. :clap::clap::clap:

Yes, that's true. Though when I woke up yesterday morning and logged on, I thought the Golden Skate guidelines had gotten ...... um ...... a little lax. :eek:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As one who can get a bit "snarky" at times, I can say with total confidence that the GS mods are a great group who are more than just, fair and above board when dealing with problem children. :clap::clap::clap:

alright, what do you want? ;) brownnoser! ;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
alright, what do you want? ;) brownnoser! ;)

:rofl::rofl:

HA! No, I am not brownosing nor do I want anything... but its always a good idea for people like me to be nice to people like you when an olympic season is getting ready to kick off... and my evil twin is telling my fingers "yes, type that! no, its not nasty - its funny! NO ONE would take offense to such a simple observation - they know that girl can't skate!"

And the next thing you know I'm in hot water...again. with some board newbie. who doesn't worship :bow:Kwan:bow:

what is an uber to do??:p