Why GS has some different guidelines | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why GS has some different guidelines

Medusa

Record Breaker
There's a good reason for which I'm here and not on FSU!!!
But they have great smilies on FSU. I love those smilies. Not the really mean ones, but they have this kick-butt smilie, and this drama-diva smilie, then the cheerleader smilie, this popcorn eating smilie, the bloc-judge smilie (that one would be great for janetfan or joe), the COP smilie sitting there with books and computer with glasses on... ;)

Yes, I am that childish.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
But they have great smilies on FSU. I love those smilies. Not the really mean ones, but they have this kick-butt smilie, and this drama-diva smilie, then the cheerleader smilie, this popcorn eating smilie, the bloc-judge smilie (that one would be great of janetfan or joe), the COP smilie sitting there with books and computer with glasses on... ;)

If they have a smilie spitting out watermelon seeds then I will register right away ;)

And I am changing some views as I hear different pov's. Now I start to blame Scott for biased and dishonest commentary.
I also defended Weir this morning
:eek:

seniorita

Record Breaker
yeah they have some cool smilies but smilies exist to enhance the text, and this is not the case there..

janetfan have this and stay here:p
1ead1209171af8439b5e575c1f1a95f7.gif

janetfan

Match Penalty
yeah they have some cool smilies but smilies exist to enhance the text, and this is not the case there..

janetfan have this and stay here:p
1ead1209171af8439b5e575c1f1a95f7.gif

Unbelievable!
:rofl: :rofl:

but do you have one playing the flute?

Last edited:
Here's the direct link to Kirk's June 29th blog entry on trueslant.com:

Skaters and the Message Boards

Hey Jenny, check this out! You rock! :rock: I had a chance to meet you at Skate America in Spokane, when you blew eveyone away in the Short Program and were the toast of the town.

Plus, you were the prettiest girl in the meet-and-greet room at the Davenport hotel, except for your sister. :cool:

You were robbed at Skate America in Pittsburgh -- you skated circles around Sasha.

Sure it was fun reading this stuff when it was about one of my competitors, but when time and time again strangers would continually break apart the weakness in my skating and appearance...

:rofl:

... So, does anyone think that one of our GS posters is Jenny Kirk in disguise? (I am actually Brian Boitano, BTW.)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Plus, you were the prettiest girl in the meet-and-greet room at the Davenport hotel, except for your sister. :cool:

... So, does anyone think that Jenny is actually one of our GS posters in disguise? (I am Brian Boitano, BTW.)

I always thought Jennifer was a real cutie pie :)
but liked her better with dark hair :yes:

So if you are really Boitano....then who is the real Plushy? :p

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting that even though Jenny was referring to all skating boards, she mentioned only FSU by name. I wonder if she's been here, too. (Hey Jenny, if you're reading this, I consider this board my home- you can probably tell by the post count, lol- although I posted in the FSU thread on your post, I only occasionally post there [although I visit regularly] )

Also, overall I find this board more respectful (partially due to the mods) although stuff still gets said that might not be good for skaters to read. Generally I just think skaters should stay away from these boards- unless they've got such a thick skin that they can take the worst of comments and shrug it off. I seriously think it's one of those "proceed at your own risk" things. Yes, posters could be a little more careful, BUT the skaters themselves chose to read it, so ultimately it falls on them to make the choice whether to lurk or not, and consider that not everyone has glowing words of praise for them. For that reason, IMHO, the fans on these boards cannot be held responsible for any skaters' (or parents, coaches, etc.) hurt feelings.

I realize some may think I'm being harsh, but this is the way I truly feel, when all is said and done- take it or leave it.

Last edited:
For that reason, IMHO, the fans on these boards cannot be responsible for any skaters' (or parents, coaches, etc.) hurt feelings.

Oh, I don't agree at all. I think if you say something that hurts someone's feelings, then you are responsible for having hurt that person's feelings.

That just seems like common sense to me.

It's too bad she didn't mention GS as the great alternative to FSU. There are some stinging remarks here too but on the whole the general tone is a lot more cordial.

Many times posters here have commented that we can say anything here because few skaters have time, or are foolish enough, to read these silly boards. Jenny Kirk confirms that in fact they are reading, poor dears.

A good reason to keep this "the nice board."

She made a good distinction between criticizing a skater's performance and attacking their character or off-ice life. We do a pretty good job of observing that distinction, IMO.

One thing I like about GS is that whenever something mean is said, another poster will jump in with something nice, so that at least there's a balance. If a skater is reading, they'll know they have friends as well as enemies. :thumbsup: On that other board, there's a tendency to gang up and clobber. :disagree:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
She made a good distinction between criticizing a skater's performance and attacking their character or off-ice life. We do a pretty good job of observing that distinction, IMO.

One thing I like about GS is that whenever something mean is said, another poster will jump in with something nice, so that at least there's a balance. If a skater is reading, they'll know they have friends as well as enemies. :thumbsup: On that other board, there's a tendency to gang up and clobber. :disagree:

My thoughts exactly. Even though sometimes things can get out of hand (expecially when it comes to Mao fans vs Yu-Na fans), GS tends to be a forum where people express themselves, often critcise skaters, but very rarely just go around bashing people. What i hace noticed is that the people who are just plain nasty (in the English sense of the word) aren't real members, just people who happen to be passing by.
Sometimes the criticism can be tough, but it's rarely unfair. What I enjoy about this forum is that there are a whole range of opinions, and by reading the threads, one gets to see different points of view.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's too bad she didn't mention GS as the great alternative to FSU. There are some stinging remarks here too but on the whole the general tone is a lot more cordial.

Many times posters here have commented that we can say anything here because few skaters have time, or are foolish enough, to read these silly boards. Jenny Kirk confirms that in fact they are reading, poor dears.

A good reason to keep this "the nice board."

Well said! :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh, I don't agree at all. I think if you say something that hurts someone's feelings, then you are responsible for having hurt that person's feelings.

That just seems like common sense to me.

To their face, yes. Or behind their back to folks they know, perhaps.

But in the case of strangers at a fan forum, the skaters should know what they're getting into when they choose to lurk about. Note that the keyword here is CHOOSE, in other words they don't have to read it if they don't want to. Now, if they have thick skin and can take the heat, then I have no problem with this phenomenon. But if it's just a case of "curiosity killed the cat", well, they knew what was coming.

I just don't think we should (as a whole) change or tiptoe about because of this, that's all.

ETA: and above all, now that Twitter has come about and enabled fans to communicate directly with some of their favorite skaters, please don't mention any of these boards to them! Not that they don't already know about them, but constantly mentioning them might be the breaking point for them to decide to "check things out". It's for their sake, remember.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I don't post on FSUniverse, but I lurk there quite often. I think it's hilarious, the PBP threads especially. also, they get points for introducing the term voidy into figure skating discussions - it did come from there, didn't it?

I choose to post on GS because I usually don't write that snarky, and FSUniverse pretty much requires consistent snarking (and a thick skin). But really, can't we just say we like being part of the discussion here without turning it into a contest which forum is better? They're just different. It's possible to like just one, it's possible to like both, and I don't see the point of making this thread about another forum.

R.D.

Record Breaker

As I said, it's their choice to read or not. As for non-stop, unwavering support, well, that's what fan forums are for. *shrug*

However, I do agree that GS tends to be more easygoing than FSU. But things are still said here that some skaters are better off not seeing. I still would not mention GS nor FSU to any skaters directly. If they hear about them, let it be through Google or other means.

[Jenny] made a good distinction between criticizing a skater's performance and attacking their character or off-ice life. We do a pretty good job of observing that distinction, IMO.

Agree, although interpretation of that distinction seems to differ from poster to poster.

Well, I've seen posters "gang up" on skaters here on GS as well. It happens a lot less than it used to, but I still see it going on.

P.S. it's funny we fans still call her Jenny. On her blog, her twitter, etc. she spells out her full name (Jennifer). I assume that's what she goes by now.

Medusa

Record Breaker
But really, can't we just say we like being part of the discussion here without turning it into a contest which forum is better? They're just different. It's possible to like just one, it's possible to like both, and I don't see the point of making this thread about another forum.
Definitely. Because this started to sound like "We are so brilliant and great - and they are, well, everything but brilliant and great." Made us sound very snarky.

And FSU still has better smilies.

R.D.

Record Breaker
FTR, I like both forums. They both offer different atmospheres, different perspectives, and have differing active poster groups which leads to different insights, often on the same topic.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
FTR, I like both forums. They both offer a different atmosphere, different perspectives, and have differing active poster groups which leads to different insights, often on the same topic.
What means FTR? (deciphering netspeak in a foreign language can be difficult...)