Where is Katy Taylor? Anyone? | Golden Skate

Where is Katy Taylor? Anyone?

kasia16

On the Ice
Does anyone have any update on Katy? Did she quit?

I've just come across her SP performance from 2007 Nationals on youtube and got a bit sentimental... sigh.

I was a huge fan of hers when she was at junior level.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I know she quit skating, but I have no idea what she is going. College, career?
There is nothing on wikipedia about her that we don't already know. Good question.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The last information that I know of was a news article from January of last year; 17 months ago. She said she was considering returning to skating, but I never heard any more about her. She would have graduated from high school last June.

FSOWebmaster

On the Ice
Katy graduated from high school in 2008. She currently attends college in Cyfair, Texas, where (last we heard from her) she is majoring in broadcasting. She skates but her eyes aren't likely set on a major comeback. Katy has done shows since her last major competitions.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Actually, in the interview last year, she stated she no longer wanted a pink hummer. I assumed that was just a phase she was going through.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
That Houston Chronicle article about Katy Taylor is archived online at:
http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2008_4500686
She's given up her dream of buying a hot pink Hummer - "I look back now and ask, `Why did I want that?'" she said, laughing - and is comfortable driving her grandmother's white Buick.
"Since I turned 18, my parents give me tips, but I decide, and I pay the consequences and get the rewards," she said. "I really feel like an adult now.
There was never any official public announcement from Katy Taylor about a retirement from competitive skating or her skating plans since this article was published in late January 2008. She reportedly had fun skating the role of the Rat Queen in her club's "Nutcracker" show this past December :) and, last I heard, she was leaving her skating options open.

Last edited:

kasia16

On the Ice
Thanks for all the answers.

It's kinda sad all Chicklets ended up having not so successful skating careers.

I just hope Kimmie hasn't said the last word yet.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
It's kinda sad all Chicklets ended up having not so successful skating careers.

Not so successful? Katy was the 2004 Jr. World bronze medalist and the 2006 4CC gold medalist and Kimmie was the 2006 World Champ, 2007 National Champ, and 2007 4CC Champ. The only exception would really be Danielle Kahle.

The only thing that's really unfortunate about the Chicklets is that none of them really ended their career on a high note (hopefully Kimmie will prove me wrong though).

kasia16

On the Ice
Not so successful? Katy was the 2004 Jr. World bronze medalist and the 2006 4CC gold medalist and Kimmie was the 2006 World Champ, 2007 National Champ, and 2007 4CC Champ. The only exception would really be Danielle Kahle.

Well, I wanted Katy to be on the worlds podium ;) and speaking about Kimmie, I believe her 2006 victory was a surprise to everyone (including her).
What is the most disappointing to me, she hasn't developed much as a skater since then. I liked her much more in her junior years, even if it was only because I could hope that one day she would become a great, fully shaped skater.

Despite of winning a couple of important titles, if I should consider their potential, none of them really lived up to my expectations.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Katy and Danielle

I really enjoyed Katy's SP at Nationals 2007. It was lovely and it looked like she had found her motivation again. Hope she is enjoying her life now.

Danielle Kahle left Frank Carroll sometime in 2008. She finished 11th at Finlandia Trophy in October 2008 with Charlene Wong as her coach. I did notice that her bio has never been updated to show the coaching change. She wasn't at Nationals 2009 and I don't think I saw her in 2008 either (but I didn't check results). It just seemed to me that the puberty bug did Danielle in. When she was shorter and tiny she could really rotate. Then, she grew and seemed to have a lot of jump problems which she couldn't overcome. JMO. I just checked the results for Nationals 2008 and Danielle did skate...she was 10th in the SP, 13th in the FS and 12th overall. My bad for not checking this before posting!

Last edited:

dewey

Rinkside
What is the most disappointing to me, she hasn't developed much as a skater since then.

Really? I think she is much more expressive than she used to be, it just unfortunately coincided with jump problems.

kasia16

On the Ice
She is more expressive, but in comparision it's nowhere near transformation Yu-Na, Mao or even Miki went through (I'm referring to them just because they all are world champs that followed Kimmie and all were considered 'jumping beans' at some point) .

Check out Mao or Yu-Na's performances from 2006. Their skating is in the whole new league now. To me Kimmie hasn't changed nearly at all. She still has a very bad posture and most of her upper body movements are far from being flattering.

Maybe it all comes down to her natural abilities and she'll never be able to fix certain things that really bother me in her skating.

I hope she proves me wrong.

MFarone, thx for the update on Danielle.

gold12345

Medalist
I really enjoyed Katy's SP at Nationals 2007. It was lovely and it looked like she had found her motivation again. Hope she is enjoying her life now.

Danielle Kahle left Frank Carroll sometime in 2008. She finished 11th at Finlandia Trophy in October 2008 with Charlene Wong as her coach. I did notice that her bio has never been updated to show the coaching change. She wasn't at Nationals 2009 and I don't think I saw her in 2008 either (but I didn't check results). It just seemed to me that the puberty bug did Danielle in. When she was shorter and tiny she could really rotate. Then, she grew and seemed to have a lot of jump problems which she couldn't overcome. JMO. I just checked the results for Nationals 2008 and Danielle did skate...she was 10th in the SP, 13th in the FS and 12th overall. My bad for not checking this before posting!

Kahle was never really a solid jumper. Aside from maybe her 3L, she really struggled with consistency on all the other triples, and I don't know if she ever had a 3Lz.

She competed at Sectionals in Nov '08 and placed 7th, which didn't qualify her to '09 Nationals.