Thread: Cinquanta seeks to test track team competition for Olympics

Hybrid View

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar

Cinquanta seeks to test track team competition for Olympics

Success of the recent World Team Trophy competition in Japan has Mr. Cinquanta now considering the addition of a team competition to the Olympics. He invisions such a team event taking place before the individual Olympic events and NGB's could use the same skaters from the team, in the individual events, or possibly other skaters.

Cinquanta told Philip Hersh that such an event would have to be test tracked, most likely at a near-term World Championships before being accepted as an olympic event. 2014 is the earliest that it might be added to the Olympic calendar.

Source - Philip Hersh's latest blog: 'ISU president: Sasha was Santa in 2006'

Banned
    ``I believe the era of Sasha Cohen as loser when the favorite is over. Now we can have the Sasha Cohen era as a strong skater with more experience. If she wanted experience as a loser, she has enough.''
    Remember kids: if you don't win the top gold medals of the sport, you're a loser!

I guess Michelle Kwan was a loser as well!

I think speedy should do his team skating thing, and while he's at it just do away with any medal other than gold, because obviously they don't matter. He should also expand his focus to berate even more legendary skaters that helped pay his salary.
    Last edited by Particle Man; 06-23-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Custom Title
    I haven't seen any hard numbers, but I think the ISU made a fortune with that World Team Trophy event.

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Adding a team event before the individual disciplines in the Olympics will become a fan favorite and rake in much additional income for the IOC for very little added expense.

Reports are that the ISU and JSF made huge profits from the first World Team Trophy, so look for a team event in the 2014 winter games.

Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    Adding a team event before the individual disciplines in the Olympics will become a fan favorite and rake in much additional income for the IOC for very little added expense.

Reports are that the ISU and JSF made huge profits from the first World Team Trophy, so look for a team event in the 2014 winter games.

Logistically it seems to be very possible since the skaters are already there. But Japanese TV money won't cover any added expenses the way they did at WTT.
    Interesting to let them use different skaters (a way for bigger Federations to give an Olympic experience to skaters who just miss making their National team).
    I particularly enjoy the team competition at Gymnastic events - maybe ISU is hoping for a similar effect with the Team competition.
    For TV coverage, wouldn't a skating team event be better than curling or some of the less popular winter events? (apologies to any curling fans )

Custom Title
    Wheee more fs olympic medals!!! Now more skaters can claim they are OG medalists

The only problem I see, though, is that there are probably only 6-7 countries eligible to host WTT and probably only one of them has resources to actually host the event.

Custom Title
    A team event at the Olympics would be amazing! More chances for the skaters to perform in an Olympic setting, more chances for medals, and more chances to increase team unity in what is typically an individual sport. Also, countries would now be encouraged to develop a true team of skaters, rather than focusing almost solely on any one discipline.

I truly hope they follow through with this and we get to see this in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I haven't seen any hard numbers, but I think the ISU made a fortune with that World Team Trophy event.
    I'm not at all well versed in the financial end of figure skating, and I would like to know more.

While the ISU gave its blessing for the WTT, and the Japanese paid for the entire organizational costs, what percentage of profits (if there were any) would go to the ISU?

Custom Title
    particle man
    cinquanta, did come out about 2004-2006 a bit before the olmpics did call michelle a loser,
    but in this case with sasha, it is almost like a (hidden agenda) that came out.
    that the isu was going to cheat for Sasha irina at the olympics to win but because she couldn't stand on her feet and skated like she did and Shizukawa came out and skated like she did the judges couldn't give it to her despite her high pcs scores.
    and especially at the worlds, the commentators stated that the worlds was sasha'a, they would have cheated for her to win, they even overmarked her double foots, urs , to the point if she still stood up she would have won.
    at world in 2006 sasha didn't have an olympic medalist to contend with for the title. it was hers for the taking, all she had to do was stand up- she couldn't even do that.

Where as Michelle as I stated previously they (the isu, judges ) didn't cheat for her and 2nd at olympics but won world 98, both michelle and irina in 2002 both moved up irina from 2nd to 1st (debatable) michelle from 3rd to 2nd.
    cause he stated 1st to 2nd and worlds to 3rd . in other words she went down from the olympics not up like michelle and irina and a few other skaters who show up at worlds.
    like 2003 when sarah came in 6th.