Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cinquanta seeks to test track team competition for Olympics

Custom Title
    If they do it they should either use other skaters or else do it after the individual events are done. No one will want to wear themselves out & risk losing an individual medal.

Regardless of what the head twits think, skating is not a team sport. (synchro excepted, of course)

Isn't sychro supposed to be a test event in 2014?

Custom Title
    In gymnastics, the team competition scores are used to determines who gets to compete in the individual all-around.

If I had a say:

Using the same format for figures skating, the US for example would still have the US Nationals to qualify for the Olympics, but instead of just 2 or 3 ladies/men/pair goes from each discipline, 6 ladies would get to attend and compete in the Olympics. Based on how they compete, 2 or 3 from each nation who qualify in the top _______ gets to compete individually their sp & lp.

For the team though, I think it'll be best if athletes just compete their short program. Maybe 6 compete and the high and low is thrown out from each team. If 6 laides, 6 men, 6 pairs, and 6 dance teams would be too many, maybe just 4 then.

I hope the ISU does follow through with this team concept. It'll really be an inclusive move. Plus, if you're great at your Nationals doesn't mean you're in your top shape at the Olympics 1-2 months later. Same for Worlds.

Just to see more figure skating, more athletes the opportunity to compete, and more opportunity for medals would be wonderful.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by backspin View Post
    If they do it they should either use other skaters or else do it after the individual events are done. No one will want to wear themselves out & risk losing an individual medal.

Regardless of what the head twits think, skating is not a team sport. (synchro excepted, of course)

I wouldn't want to see them use other skaters... To make it legit, the top skaters from each of the qualified countries should compete. Perhaps they could keep it LP only so that the skaters wouldn't be as worn out for their individual events. It would be no different than a qualifying round, except this time, they can get a medal out of it if they skate well! Also, maybe the pressure of their individual event will be a little less if they've already competed on Olympic ice in the team event.

Yes, I think it would be better if the team event was after the individual competition, but either way, I think it's a great idea!
    Last edited by gold12345; 06-23-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I think if they have the team event before individuals they can keep the WTT format but cut it down to short or long programs only and not both so the skaters wont be worn out. What would be cool and add extra tension to the event is if that in each discapline one skater skates a short program a different skater must skate the long which will force the team captian to make real decisions.

I'm having real trouble imagining how this will work.

Either:

A: A group of b-list skaters have a chance for medals by doing the sort of performances they can give.

B: The favorites have yet more competitions to wear themselves out in and worlds and olympics become even more grueling marathons featuring skating that's even less likely to win new fans than in 2006 (if that's actually possible).

C: Some unholy mixture of A and B....

If it's B, then let's say US lady number one (whoever that'll be) is supposed to perform her SP and LP twice in the same competition? What sort of horrible masochist wants that? or is she expected to have two LP's (as in the GP final a few years ago?). What sort of horrible sadistic person wants that?

How is this not going to make the injuries pile up?

And what country can field a credible team in four disciplines? Especially for more than a few years in a row?

I do not get it.

The obvious way to create more competitions (of the kind that can create stars) is for new singles formats that aren't as punishing physically as single skating has become.

Solo dance is an obvious choice (and I note that USFSA is starting to take that seriously).

I'd also like to see a competition with less jumps (but with jumps) that was still demanding technically that more mature skaters with better overall technique but without the biggest jumps (anymore) could excell in.

How do they do it in gymnastics, in the case of a country that cannot field a full team but has one or two indivual athletes who are competitive, if not necessarily medal contenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    How do they do it in gymnastics, in the case of a country that cannot field a full team but has one or two indivual athletes who are competitive, if not necessarily medal contenders?
    Good question. They probably have a qualifying round. Is there a "Yuna Kim" type gymnast that comes from say Mongolia and he/she is the only gymnast from their country - who just happens to be good enough to be in the finals in either the individual apparatus or all around?
    I guess if they are not part of a team they get their chance with others and if their marks are high enough they qualify for the medal round.
    There is the team competition and final, the individual apparatus competitiion and final, and for the cream of the crop, the All- arround competition.

I agree. Why bother creating a new "team event" when there is already an awesome team event in synchro! I've heard synchro is supposed to be a test event as well in 2014. I hope it happens.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Good question. They probably have a qualifying round. Is there a "Yuna Kim" type gymnast that comes from say Mongolia and he/she is the only gymnast from their country - who just happens to be good enough to be in the finals in either the individual apparatus or all around?
    I guess if they are not part of a team they get their chance with others and if their marks are high enough they qualify for the medal round.
    There is the team competition and final, the individual apparatus competitiion and final, and for the cream of the crop, the All- arround competition.
    In the qualifying round of gymnastics, although they do compete as teams (to qualify for the team finals), gymnasts who don't have a team are grouped together and are able to qualify for the different events as an individual.

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    The obvious way to create more competitions (of the kind that can create stars) is for new singles formats that aren't as punishing physically as single skating has become.

Solo dance is an obvious choice (and I note that USFSA is starting to take that seriously).

I'd also like to see a competition with less jumps (but with jumps) that was still demanding technically that more mature skaters with better overall technique but without the biggest jumps (anymore) could excell in.
    I like those ideas. Maybe do an artistic or interperative program. The kind that they used to have at pro-ams a couple of years ago.

Custom Title
    particle man
    cinquanta, did come out about 2004-2006 a bit before the olmpics did call michelle a loser,
    but in this case with sasha, it is almost like a (hidden agenda) that came out.
    that the isu was going to cheat for Sasha irina at the olympics to win but because she couldn't stand on her feet and skated like she did and Shizukawa came out and skated like she did the judges couldn't give it to her despite her high pcs scores.
    and especially at the worlds, the commentators stated that the worlds was sasha'a, they would have cheated for her to win, they even overmarked her double foots, urs , to the point if she still stood up she would have won.
    at world in 2006 sasha didn't have an olympic medalist to contend with for the title. it was hers for the taking, all she had to do was stand up- she couldn't even do that.

Where as Michelle as I stated previously they (the isu, judges ) didn't cheat for her and 2nd at olympics but won world 98, both michelle and irina in 2002 both moved up irina from 2nd to 1st (debatable) michelle from 3rd to 2nd.
    cause he stated 1st to 2nd and worlds to 3rd . in other words she went down from the olympics not up like michelle and irina and a few other skaters who show up at worlds.
    like 2003 when sarah came in 6th.

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar

Seeing as it is those "Head Twits" who hold the power, they very well may decide otherwise. I detest Cinquanta, but in this case I think a team skating event in the Olympics and Worlds (if done right) can become a fan favorite and rake in more coin for the IOC, ISU and hosting federations.

If they hold the team event after the individual events they can utilize the olympic qualifying skaters who competed individually and with more support from the skaters. The determination of the size and number of teams competing could follow the same criteria as set forth for the World Team Trophy. I would prefer that they have 8 member teams comprised of 2 Men, 2 Ladies, 2 Pairs and 2 Ice Dancers. Then make it a real team competition by having only 1 SP/OD and 1 FS/FD performed by each team. Make it the responsibility of each team captain to assign which skater/s would perform them, thus bringing strategy into the mix.

Constructing the Team event in such a fashion would mean:

1. No added extra expense or skaters in the Olympic Village
    2. The testing and possible acceptance of Olympic Synchro Skating could go forth without being sidetracked.

I foresee Cinquanta pushing to make the team event an annual fixture at the World Championships. How it will be organized remains to be shaken out.

But why make them skate more than they already do? To me, the difference is that skaters skate their routines and are completely exhausted; in gymnastics, even stars like Nastia Liukin or Shawn Johnson do their 1-3 minute routine, then wait for an hour and have the energy to go again. Why not continue exactly as is, but tally up points scored by placing along the way, and at the conclusion of the Ladies free, which is usually the last skating event, proclaim the team medalists?

Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    To me, the difference is that skaters skate their routines and are completely exhausted; in gymnastics, even stars like Nastia Liukin or Shawn Johnson do their 1-3 minute routine, then wait for an hour and have the energy to go again.
    I have often wondered about that. Why is skating so much more taxing than other sports?

Boxers fight a three-minute round, rest for one minute, then have to go ouit and do it again -- ten times in a row. Skaters consider themselves ill used if they have to compete twice in a month.

There are many fans world wide, and a few in America, that do not consider Figure Skating a little girl's sport. There are other disciplines and the athletes are capable of doing what athletes do. If it's too tough for the Ladies, they should not compete in this extra event.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast