Help! My skates smell awful! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Help! My skates smell awful!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
My skates improved a LOT since I started drying them out instead of throwing them into the car truck until the next session.
What about a small portable fan running on batteries? ;)

I like the smell of tea tree oil :) Grain alcohol seems difficult to get, settling with rubbing alcohol for now. THANK YOU for sharing!
Grain alcohol can be purchased wherever Liquor (beer/wine/hard booze) is sold....if you are not old enough then use rubbing alcohol.

Kat12

Rinkside
This is late, but my partner swears by the original yellow Dial liquid soap...he says he and his friend both loved it years ago because you could wash your feet with it and they wouldn't stink for days. He recently bought a bottle and one day came home from work, took his shoes off, and made me smell his feet (yeah, I know. Guys, geez). I admit they didn't stink.

lpskater

Spectator
I have the same problem. A couple of years ago I had the chance to ask the "Ask Mr. Edge" guy who is featured in Skating Magazine what his best advice is at an event I was at. He said that the problem is caused by bacteria growing in the skate and really the best way to kill the bacteria to kill the smell and not ruin your skate is to dilute some bleach and wipe out the skate with a rag with the diluted bleach solution on it. Hope it helps!