Off-Ice Training? | Golden Skate

Off-Ice Training?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Just curious what everybody's off-ice training regime in like. swimming, gymnastics, ballet, running, weights? and how did it help your skating.

I run 3/4 days a week, at least an hour a day. I do off-ice jumping for 20 minuites before I skate and strech for an hour 4 days a week. I swim...but more for fun than for skating.

Tammi

On the Ice
My skater did gyrotonics for 2 years, which is similar to pilates. That really helped with flexibility and being able to target very specific parts of the body. Now it's more core and strength training and off ice dance. No running, as that tends to tighten the hamstrings and quads (which we spent too much time in PT getting those stretched out ;) ). A training schedule is probably the most helpful. That keeps training on track, can minimize injuries and corresponds to your competition season.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I do a lot of dance training, in modern, jazz and ballet. I bike about an hour 4 times a week and I try to run twice a week. When I watch TV I do a series of ballet barre, Pilate and stretching exercises.
The dance training really helped with my focus and discipline and improved my compulsories a lot.

icedust

Rinkside
Gym 5 times per week, and the length of each session depends on general fatigue and how much I did on the ice that day.

Running for cardio endurance.
Pilates for core strength.
Stretching for min 30mins each day.
1hr weights;
- weight training for spirals (extending leg behind you with an ankle strap attached to an arm weights machine). I set the weight to around 10kgs and do a set of 10 bursts followed by 10 controlled descents.
- Leg press
- Squats
- Lunges
- Back workout
- Light arms
- Inner & Outer thighs + calves

Are you looking to develop your regime and trying to get ideas or was it just a fun question?

Happy skating!

skateGREAT

Spectator
How you schedule your off ice training is dependant on anumber of factors,

including:

Current skating level
Technical ability
Training goals
Time available

Generally it is better to seek out a qualified PT instructor who is also familiar with the demands of our sport.

If you are unable to find one who is familiar then there are a number of training guidelines.

Please remember that Plyometrics should not be done by under 13 year olds, and that if you do start you should be able to lift at least 1.5 times your bodyweight in the target musculature...

Having said all that attention should be among the following areas...

Flexibility
Joint mobility and health (often neglected)
Explosive and static strength
Dance/ballet for elegance of movement
Core strength
Off ice jump training
balance drills
ff ice program run throughs
general cardio vascular endurance
and anaerobic fitness...

The balance between all these areas and your competition schedule is why you should consult with a qualified experienced off ice coach!

skateGREAT

midori78

Rinkside
Unfortunately I don't have much choice when it comes to off-ice training, unless it's biking around my neighborhood...If I tried stuff outside I feel I'd just be looked at like some sort of prancing idiot...and there's not enough room inside, in fact if I tried all that jumping in the house I'd think I would make a hole in the floor (it's an older house)! LOL. I suppose I could try getting to the rink a bit earlier and try some stuff in a corner there somewhere...perhaps I wouldn't catch as many weird looks....hehe.

Binthere

On the Ice
Anything that helps strengthen the upper body and core, and helps "balance" the body (since skating puts so much focus on the legs/lower body) would be helpful in my opinion.