favorite and least favorite colors for skating costumes? | Golden Skate

favorite and least favorite colors for skating costumes?

Taan

On the Ice
i love it when skaters skate in red it always seems like the color makes the program seem more commanding like it grabs your attention(e.g. mk in 98 short program, lu chen 95 worlds).....however i really can't get into green costumes no matter how good the cut or style is.....and i find myself actually liking a program less if a skater wears this color...am i the only skate fan with this strange color fetish?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I hate yellow. Tara and the Walking On Sunshine number, Nancy in the yellow with the red bullseye, and as much as I love Michelle that acid green/yellow, whatever it was the color was horrible. Color doesn't bother though me as much as poor fit, and messy hair. Naomi Lang could be wearing the most beautiful dress in the world and skate the perfect program AND with Peter skating with her still I can't get past that stringy hair. Same for Irina L. And one more time........... the little silver clippies in the hair....either cut those bangs or grow them out long enough to keep them back. I hate to quote Joan and Melissa but I have to agree with them that the hair and makeup needs to match the formality of the dress. Sequins and ponytails with the ponyrtail holder showing ...yuck! Same goes for dirty boots.

Piel

heyang

Record Breaker
Personally, with the exception of yellows (which includes gold), I like bright warm colors - scarlet, cobalt, emerald. Those are colors I prefer for myself.

A lot depends on the coloring of the skater - technically anyone can wear any 'color', except some shades look better on a person depending upon complexion and coloring.

I have a hard time with brown's, but my SIL looks better in browns and other muted colors just because our skin tones are different.

LarasB

Rinkside
I like most of the colors, but I don't like yellow, and gold only looks good on certain skaters.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I agree that yellow is not the best of color for a skating costume. However I don't mind a pale yellow. Anything gold or silver on men is a outright crime!

I do like black and red. But I do think color depends on the person and how the costume looks.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'll have to agree and say I think it really depends on the person. But...I will second the motion to ban that uranium-pee yellow/green shade that Michelle used for Aranjuez at 02 Skate America. That color could cause serious retinal damage if subjected to prolonged exposure!

April

Rinkside
Dark green, orange, and bright yellow are annoying colors. I wonder why some colors work better than others.

blurrysarah

On the Ice
I dislike really bright fluro colours, and also very dark colours. Fluro doesn't blend with the skater's skin, no matter what shade they are, and very dark colours might as well be black on the ice, really.
For example, a deep rich burgundy off ice, looks black on the ice. Suddenly you realise that that "gorgeous" dress doesn't work on ice at all.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
There really isn't a color I mind, but I do think skaters should wear colors.

White, IMHO, is a big mistake when skating on a huge piece of white ice.

Black isn't bad, but so many skaters, especially the men, wear it that it has become overdone, like they are all wearing a uniform or something.

Sometimes I can be overly literal perhaps. How anyone could skate to "Song of the BLACK Swan" in creme or fuscia is beyond me.

blurrysarah said:
For example, a deep rich burgundy off ice, looks black on the ice. Suddenly you realise that that "gorgeous" dress doesn't work on ice at all.
Exception: The world's all-time most gorgeous skating dress, Michelle's burgandy Red Violin dress at the 1999 Worlds exhibition. Just like you said, it looked black until she started to move, then those red highlights started rippling through it -- just beautiful!

Mathman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
favorite and least favorite colors for skating

I hated the colour that Michelle wore - sort of a bright yellow and of course there is the famous bright lime green dress that Peggy Flemming wore.

I too like red or pink (the pretty dress Karen Magnussen wore) and for men I prefer muted colors - black or navy. I hate multi-colored outfits (the Russians seem to favour these) or costumes that have too much material hanging from them. Understated is better. I also like blue and green (but not neon).

Lucy25

Final Flight
It has to depend on the coloring of the skater. The only color I would say all skaters to avoid is white. Any other color should go well with the skater's skin tone, not just match the music.

skatepixie

On the Ice
as long as it goes with their skin Im ok. MK has a problem with this.

The only thing i really cant stand is short hair on the girls and over the boot tights. OTB tights are the only thing about sasha i dont like.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I normally think that white is stunning, but I have to agree that white on a skater makes them sort of blend in with the ice.......42

SugarCoated

Rinkside
i love white and red. I hatee bright bright colors like yellow and orange circa the 80s. for me its more about the pattern/decoration on it. It can be a gorgeous color but if it has some flamboyant pattern on it, then its ruined.

Fossi

Final Flight
skatepixie said:
as long as it goes with their skin Im ok. MK has a problem with this.

I don't understand what you're trying to say Skatepixie.
Are you saying that MK (Michelle Kwan) has a problem with other skaters wearing colors that don't go with their skin? And if so, how would you know that?
Or are you saying that MK's costumes don't match with her skin? If so, which colors? I think MK's costumes are generally beautiful, and go quite well with her skin tone. Maybe you should get a job being her fashion consultant.
Or are you saying something entirely different?

skatepixie

On the Ice
i mean that MK has makes very poor color choices. the 03 LP dress, 04 lp dress, orange dress from worlds (I dinno which year) and that one great dress of hers are just examples. She also wore a top that showed her navel and her tights were waaaaay too dark...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Skatepixie,

Do you mean the lavendar dress that she wore for Campbell's? IMO that color is wonderful for her. Which "one great dress" of hers are you referring to? As far as her naval showing, the problem with that would be? Other than the yellow dress from last year (and that was only because of the color, the style of the dress was beautiful) Michelle's costumes have always been lovely and usually a bit more sophisticated than most of the other ladies. When you think of how many programs/costumes she has had over her career the percentage of "fashion dont's" is VERY low.

Piel