Denis Ten: The surprise from Kazakhstan | Golden Skate

Denis Ten: The surprise from Kazakhstan

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On March 26, 2009, at approximately 6.30 PM (PST) in Los Angeles, Calif., 15-year-old Denis Ten single-handedly put Kazakhstan on the worldwide map of figure skating. The young skater stunned the crowd, the press, and the judges with a magical performance that catapulted him from 17th after the short program, to eighth overall. This was by far the best ever placement any skater from Kazakhstan had achieved at Worlds.

MORE

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Thanks for a lovely article/interview! Denis seems so sweet, I hope he'll have a great career (with a Sochi gold, maybe?). BTW, didn't someone ask on another thread which skaters other than Yu-Na can sing ? Well, now we have our answer! ;)

As to this (emphasis mine):
The young skater stunned the crowd, the press, and the judges with a magical performance that catapulted him from 17th after the short program, to eighth overall. This was by far the best ever placement any skater from Kazakhstan had achieved at Worlds.
Had the judges done their job properly on March 25, he would have been much higher than 17th. That was some seriously dodgy scoring.

Last edited:
That was the best showing of his LP. There is lots of talent there and I look forward to seeing his consistency improved. Jeremy, btw, isn't exactly non-talented.

seniorita

Record Breaker
great interview!He is so cute!I smiled with the part that he was a flower boy in Moscow and now competing together with the these skaters at words!Lysacek idol?hmmm...:p

merrybari

Final Flight
Great read! Much potential here, some already realized. I expect he will still have to deal with growth issues the same as others his age, so hopefully that will not hold him back. I expect a great future for this young skater/athlete.

I personally don't think he could have a better, more positive role model than Evan - on and/or off the ice!

jennylovskt

Medalist
I loved his skating! He looked like 13 at age 15.

Evan didn't have an obvious talent in figure skating at young age like many top skaters did. By working so hard, he has reached such high level. In this sense, Evan IS a very good role modal for young kids.

I loved his skating! He looked like 13 at age 15.

Evan didn't have an obvious talent in figure skating at young age like many top skaters did. By working so hard, he has reached such high level. In this sense, Evan IS a very good role modal for young kids.
Wasn't Even 2nd to Johnny in Juniors? and head of all the other Juniors?

Yes, he would be a role model. He doesn't make waves, and I believe Denis is not the type who wants the glitz life.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wasn't Even 2nd to Johnny in Juniors? and head of all the other Juniors?

Yes, he would be a role model. He doesn't make waves, and I believe Denis is not the type who wants the glitz life.

Just curious - how do you know what type of life Denis wants to have? In the article he says Evan is his role model. One can see how a young skater could see Evan as a somewhat exciting and even a "glitzy" type of figure. There is his fabulous tan, his hot, fancy girlfriend and a Gold medal around his neck.
What could be glitzier than all of that? ;)

Last edited:
Wasn't Evan 2nd to Johnny in Juniors? and head of all the other Juniors?

Indeed he was! When Evan was 15 he was the second alternate for the U.S. team at Junior Worlds, and he got to go when the two guys ahead of him withdrew. He won the silver medal! :rock:

At 16, he got 12th at U.S. Nationals as a senior, which wasn't high enough to get him on the team for junior worlds. But he did go to Junior Worlds again at 17, and once again again at 18. We have to give him his due for persistence.

And also for consistency: he got second place all three times he competed as a junior.

The following year he was 19, so he couldn't compete as a junior any more. So he went to senior worlds instead -- and won the bronze! :clap:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
He was so impressive in both programs at worlds.

I don't think he has to wait till after 2010 to get good results at major competitions. He already made such a splash during worlds this year. I think he can do very well on the senior grand prix series this coming season if he is able to be consistent in his skating.