Rachael Flatt articles about her collaboration with Lori Nichol and Dorothy Hamill | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt articles about her collaboration with Lori Nichol and Dorothy Hamill

janetfan

Match Penalty
The European masses aren't necessarily more educated than the American masses.That's not what I was hinting at.

Thank you very much for Bernstein, Gershwin and Cole Porter though, the ABT, the NYCB, your great orchestras and conductors, thanks for Sean Penn, for the NYT and so much more stuff I admire.

Pop Art like Warhohl, Pop theatre like A Lloyd Webber and Pop music were created specifically with a broad audience in mind. Aaron Copeland composed "Fanfare For the Common Man" in honor of the working man. But most Americans at that time did not like it and preferred Big Band music.
Sorry if I misunderstood your point - atleast I knew the word "populist" :)
But the meaning in America of saying "his most populistic piece of music" would mean it is less complex and easier to listen to. Hear it once and you can remember later to whistle some of the melody.

thanks for the link before with all of the stuff about young athletes, etc.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I lost the meaning but you can spare your time between Friends ,Bergman and Serbian cinema and MJ , Antony and the Johnsons and Chopin, combine ballet with football and burger with tartare, it is up to you how much you want to get involved in learning. What does really populistic means?

( But what would they do in Europe without our jeans, movies, Pop/Jazz music, TV reruns of "Friends" and other parts of our culture so widely exported across the pond. :) )
wow i m certainly the european you describe .:biggrin:

Medusa

Record Breaker
But the meaning in America of saying "his most populistic piece of music" would mean it is less complex and easier to listen to. Hear it once and you can remember later to whistle some of the melody.

thanks for the link before with all of the stuff about young athletes, etc.
And that's exactly what I meant: of all the pieces the beloved old Sergej wrote, this is the one that is very easy to listen to, that is very easily remembered.

You are welcome. It's my longest post ever.

gio

Medalist
Sorry for the OT but I have to say that :biggrin:

I live in Europe but
I love Popeye's and Wendys, Hershey's chocolate, Milkshakes, Popcorn, Jeans, disco music and all of its spin-offs (even if most of the singers were European the music is of American origin, house music is born in Chigaco, techno in Detroit), rock'n roll, Coca Cola, cheek flicks, Michelle Kwan, Tonya Harding, Kristi Yamaguchi, Debi Thomas, Brian Boitano, rock music, Nirvana, New York, Philly, American accent when speaking English, Happy Days, Bon Jovi, jive, the roaring 20s music, Tootsie Rolls, marshmallow, Starbucks, Hard Rock Cafe etc.
;);) And I'm proud of it. :rock::laugh:

Living in Europe it doesn't mean to dislike what is American and perceive it as uncultured or something to be ashemed.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Back to the articles, I had no idea that Ryan Bradley was being mentored by Brian Boitano. Perhaps that's why Ryan is skating to Dark Eyes for the SP and Baroque music for the LP-it's a similar transformation to Boitano's makeover by Sandra Bezic for 1988. I still can't picture him skating to baroque though....

I like Rachael's new exhibition, but it did need some speed--probably due to its newness for her.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sorry for the OT but I have to say that :biggrin:

I live in Europe but
I love Popeye's and Wendys, Hershey's chocolate, Milkshakes, Popcorn, Jeans, disco music and all of its spin-offs (even if most of the singers were European the music is of American origin, house music is born in Chigaco, techno in Detroit), rock'n roll, Coca Cola, cheek flicks, Michelle Kwan, Tonya Harding, Kristi Yamaguchi, Debi Thomas, Brian Boitano, rock music, Nirvana, New York, Philly, American accent when speaking English, Happy Days, Bon Jovi, jive, the roaring 20s music, Tootsie Rolls, marshmallow, Starbucks, Hard Rock Cafe etc.
;);) And I'm proud of it. :rock::laugh:

Living in Europe it doesn't mean to dislike what is American and perceive it as uncultured or something to be ashemed.

Well thankyou for your enthusiam and open mind. But this is not a contest. ;)Careful or seniorita will come at you with things like The Muppets, pizza in the bathtub, the Brady Bunch and Yanni. Or is Yanni Greek :yes:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yanni is greek and it is not elevator music his music :laugh:(medusa);)
and Hard rock cafe has the best burgers:rock:

Nigel

On the Ice
Thanks for the link. You're right, she's showing a lot more personality here than usual. The choreography is somehow more "natural" than what I see from her competitive programs. Doesn't she choreograph her own exhibitions?

I noticed that all three of her jumps were under-rotated, and both the 2A and the 3F would've been downgraded in competition, and possibly also the 3S. There was not the usual spring in her jump, and she doesn't seem to rotate as fast in the air as she used to.

Of course it's only an exhibition and it must be hard to skate in the dark with the bright spotlights in your eyes, but it's still worrying that her jumps don't look as big as they used to (not that they were ever huge, but they were usually rotated), since other elements of her skating aren't really eye-catching.

It sounds like she's getting some great programs this year, and no doubt she's working on her presentation. I just hope that she's not following the recent examples of Kimmie Meissner and Ashley Wagner -- making much-needed improvements on their presentation but letting their jumps slide.

feraina....look alittle closer to the set up at this event...the sheet of ice was about 2/3's the length of an NHL sized rink with a stage thrown in for good measure, spot lights and almost no background lighting and I am sure that impacted the speed and set up of the jumps for everyone. But, then again, we all know that Flatt is not a favorite of yours.... and you are usually quick to critique Flatt. And, her jumps looked fine.

Back to the topic at hand...all of these skaters are going to be working their collective fannies off this summer and fall. I don't suspect Flatt or any of the other elite ladies are going to be resting on their "laurels" this summer. I would guess they are all working on many aspects of their skating. Flatt said as much in the IceNetwork interview.

Last edited:
On Music
However one wants to classify it, the bottom line on music is TASTE. It's all in what one enjoys.

I find most ballet music a bit on the trite side (including Tschaikowsky). Some American Broadway Shows are as good as European Operetta. Most are just quickly written. For Grand Opera, I'm all for Wagner whom I believe never went to the movies with Hitler. I also like other opera composers if they do not get too involved in structured composititions. for serious music, I like so many and I don't think about Nationality. Berlioz and Sibelius just off the bat. Americans: Charles Ives, Scott Joplin, and maybe John Cage.

BOTTOM LINE It's all your taste.

BACK TO RACHAEIL

I believe from some reports that she is working on speed in accordance with Lori's wishes with the music. So I am anticipating a big improvement in that area. Rachael is a serious competitor - not just looking for glamour.

Last edited:
L

LKR722

It sounds like she's getting some great programs this year, and no doubt she's working on her presentation. I just hope that she's not following the recent examples of Kimmie Meissner and Ashley Wagner -- making much-needed improvements on their presentation but letting their jumps slide.

I'm not trying to get off the topic of Rachael, but Kimmie and Ashley didn't let their jumps slide. Kimmie was hit with the "puberty bug" pretty suddenly and dramatically, mostly post 2007 Worlds. She grew up and this affected the rotation of the jumps. In regards to Ashley, she has had some jump problems for a few years i.e. the two footing and no real lutz. She just hasn't developed a real consistency with them yet. To me it seems like she has her free leg too low when she is rotating her jumps and this leads to frequent two-footing. Anyways, my point is I don't think these two let their jumps slide.

In regards to Rachael, I wish she would wear her hair the way she had it at WTT. It suited her so much better than a bun or up do. I don't like the dress that much either. Her look here makes her look way older, a problem she often has.

Medusa

Record Breaker
"puberty bug"
icon_burned.gif
It is not a bug, it is not contagious, it is not pathological.

Sorry for the smiley, I know aren't supposed to use non-GoldenSkate smileys.

seniorita

Record Breaker
LOL, can we keep this one??? it might come quite useful!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

we cant have other emoticons:eek:??oh god, i have broken the l a w?

L

LKR722

icon_burned.gif
It is not a bug, it is not contagious, it is not pathological.

Sorry for the smiley, I know aren't supposed to use non-GoldenSkate smileys.

Sorry Medusa. I didn't mean it like it was a bad thing. I'm a huge Kimmie fan as some of my previous posts would indicate. I was trying to say she had to adjust to her natural growth with her jumps and not slacking off on them

Medusa

Record Breaker
Sorry Medusa. I didn't mean it like it was a bad thing. I'm a huge Kimmie fan as some of my previous posts would indicate. I was trying to say she had to adjust to her natural growth with her jumps and not slacking off on them
I know you didn't want to make it sound like a bad thing. That expression is used all over the figure skating world. I just think that it is very unsuitable expression for something natural and actually beautiful.

beep_beep

Medalist
LOL, can we keep this one??? it might come quite useful!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

we cant have other emoticons:eek:??oh god, i have broken the l a w?

Oh no... I loved the seed spitting smiley... We should make a pettion to include it in the GS smiley list. :p

OT, I know. I'm sorry.

feraina

Record Breaker
I know you didn't want to make it sound like a bad thing. That expression is used all over the figure skating world. I just think that it is very unsuitable expression for something natural and actually beautiful.

You are right it is natural and beautiful, it's wonderful to behold a girl blossoming into a young lady. But unfortunately a mature woman's body does work against the technical demands of elite skating, and so from competitive skating's point of view, it is a negative thing unless, as LKR, that the young lady works hard to maintain her technical skills despite her natural "disadvantages."

TCAngel18

Medalist
On Music
However one wants to classify it, the bottom line on music is TASTE. It's all in what one enjoys.

I find most ballet music a bit on the trite side (including Tschaikowsky). Some American Broadway Shows are as good as European Operetta. Most are just quickly written. For Grand Opera, I'm all for Wagner whom I believe never went to the movies with Hitler. I also like other opera composers if they do not get too involved in structured composititions. for serious music, I like so many and I don't think about Nationality. Berlioz and Sibelius just off the bat. Americans: Charles Ives, Scott Joplin, and maybe John Cage.

BOTTOM LINE It's all your taste.

BACK TO RACHAEIL

I believe from some reports that she is working on speed in accordance with Lori's wishes with the music. So I am anticipating a big improvement in that area. Rachael is a serious competitor - not just looking for glamour.

you like John Cage...so you must love 4:33 then :biggrin:

btw, you really have to be a music dork to get that, which i am:agree: