Rachael Flatt articles about her collaboration with Lori Nichol and Dorothy Hamill | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt articles about her collaboration with Lori Nichol and Dorothy Hamill

antmanb

Record Breaker
But what would they do in Europe without ... TV reruns of "Friends"

Cheer very loudly!! I was never a big fan of friends and hoped that after it finished we would be rid of it but sadly they re-run on about 6 different channels at any time of the night of day :disapp:

Ant ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Cheer very loudly!! I was never a big fan of friends and hoped that after it finished we would be rid of it but sadly they re-run on about 6 different channels at any time of the night of day :disapp:

Ant ;)

It is not our fault that you are stuck with "Friends." :p
"Seinfeld" was a much funnier sitcom - but alas, the New York humor of the show seems to fly over the heads of most Europeans.
Back in 1994 I was living in Prague and I used to go to a big sports bar because they had a video tape of the Thursday night Seinfeld show express mailed for a Friday night showing. The place would be packed with expats, with Americans watching Seinfeld while most the Brits and Germans would be playing pool or foosball or arguing about the World Cup. Sadly, I never heard a word about figure skating :laugh:

It is not a bug, it is not contagious, it is not pathological.

Outside of figure skating, I think when people speak of being bit by the puberty bug, or attacked by the puberty monster, they are referring to that sudden rush of hormones that robs you of all common sense and makes you act like a total moron whenever you meet someone in a skirt, or pants, as the case may be.:)

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
It is not our fault that you are stuck with "Friends." :p
"Seinfeld" was a much funnier sitcom - but alas, the New York humor of the show seems to fly over the heads of most Europeans.

I always thought that Seinfeld was really popular over here? It was on at a time that meant i never really caught it but the few epsidoes i've seen i've quite liked!

Ant

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thank goodness for the 2006 Olympics! All this talk of how girls past puberty are at a disadvantage has always unsettled me, because I hate to think that the best skaters are the ones who are too young to interpret music. And then there was Torino, where the entire podium was over twenty, and the winner, Shizuka, was (if I recall correctly) the oldest of all. Moreover, if Michelle had been healthy, she would have been in the mix and would have done rather well. (In fact, a lot of her best work, though not all of it, was in her late teens and early twenties. "Song of the Black Swan," for example.)

Even so, it can't be denied that girls' bodies change in a way that sometimes slows their progress, or even reverses it, while guys' bodies only get stronger. (No fair!) But I think in this case we're actually talking about two different issues. One is the fact that some jumping-bean skaters do indeed compete better as kids than as older ladies. The other, though, is that there's a transition phase while girls are growing bigger, more solid, curvier, or whatever their body types decree, but that this phase can be worked through. As the center of gravity changes, a skater can practice and learn new techniques to retain or regain the jumps and just soldier on. Then you get gorgeous skating like that of Irina, who was no pixie and was a better jumper than almost anyone else of her contemporaries, or Shizuka, or Michelle. (I won't count Sasha or Mao here because they don't seem to have changed appreciably in body type, though Mao is taller.) Hey, a lot of great enterprises come accompanied by challenges and obstacles! They can still turn out rather well.