Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which skating moves do you hate?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1andonly View Post
    outside ina bauers and spread eagles..I cna t do them and they hurt..grrrr

Not a fan of loops either. I fell learning to do loops and buggered up my ankle. Those pesky moves drive me bonkers
    Don't even try to do outside Ina Bauers and spread eagles if you don't have open hips; you'll just damage your knees! The good news is, at least they aren't worth any points under IJS.

They are good for boostin IN, CH, and TR marks though, if done well!

Rinkside
    Spread Eagles and Ina bauers are evil. Physically some people cannot do them no matter how much they practice or stretch. Inability to do them has ruined the chances of more than one skater, especially in synchro. :banging:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Spread Eagles and Ina bauers are evil. Physically some people cannot do them no matter how much they practice or stretch. Inability to do them has ruined the chances of more than one skater, especially in synchro. :banging:
    ONLY in synchro have they ruined the chances of any skater. In singles skating, people wouldn't even notice if a skater didn't have any spread eagles or ina bauers (half of the skaters can't do them so they just find other connecting moves to do instead).

I hate back inside 3 turns. Got my forward outside and inside three turns, and my back right outside 3 turns, but the other back 3 turns I just can't seem to get. And I need them for my Silver Adult MIF test.

Rinkside
    This may (or may not !) be useful information to you, but my coach always said to me that when doing back inside 3's always stay on the back inside edge as if you were setting up for a spin - hold the edge, like you would for a spin but instead of stepping forward to go into a spin & transferring the weight onto the other foot, keep your weight outside the circle & towards the middle and rear of the skate (not too far back though!) and then action the 3 turn leading with the same arm as skating leg

I hope that helps - coz before my coach explained this movement I battled with the back turns for ages!
    However, I have a new nemesis...the axel...loathe it! I find the other doubles less daunting and far less temperamental! :banging::banging::banging: lol!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by xSk8m8x View Post
    This may (or may not !) be useful information to you, but my coach always said to me that when doing back inside 3's always stay on the back inside edge as if you were setting up for a spin - hold the edge, like you would for a spin but instead of stepping forward to go into a spin & transferring the weight onto the other foot, keep your weight outside the circle & towards the middle and rear of the skate (not too far back though!) and then action the 3 turn leading with the same arm as skating leg.
    Interesting tip! What helped me the most was telling myself I was doing a back outside 3 on the other foot. I know it sounds weird, but one time a few years ago I accidentally did a LBI 3-turn instead of a RBO 3-turn (i.e., I was on the right pattern but wasn't thinking and mistakenly did the CCW turn on the left foot), then I realized I had just done a perfect LBI 3-turn, LOL!
    It was then that I realized the upper body and head are supposed to be doing the exact same thing on a LBI 3-turn as a RBO 3-turn. Same for the RBI 3-turn and LBO 3-turn. Once I realized that, I just told myself I was doing a back outside on the other foot and it hasn't been a problem since then!

This may (or may not !) be useful information to you, but my coach always said to me that when doing back inside 3's always stay on the back inside edge as if you were setting up for a spin - hold the edge, like you would for a spin but instead of stepping forward to go into a spin & transferring the weight onto the other foot, keep your weight outside the circle & towards the middle and rear of the skate (not too far back though!) and then action the 3 turn leading with the same arm as skating leg
    This might be very helpful. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I have a fear of getting too far back on the blade (had a bad fall once doing the 3 turn).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan View Post
    This might be very helpful. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I have a fear of getting too far back on the blade (had a bad fall once doing the 3 turn).
    Here are some specifics that really help me:
    1. Focus on really pressing the middle of the blade into the ice, then bending your ankle more deeply just before executing the turn. I like to keep my free foot right at the ankle of the skating foot for control, but you can do what feels best for you.
    2. Keep the skating side hip strong and tight so that it stays aligned right under you instead of sticking out. Don't drop the free hip, either; keep them level.
    3. Head and shoulders are key, just like with the BO 3-turns. Here's what they should be doing:
    If you start at the top of the circle (let's call it 12:00) and want to make your turn at the top of the lobe (3:00 for CW lobe or 9:00 for CCW lobe), then you need to start at 12:00 facing backward with your face and chest facing slightly inside the circle, then at 1:00 CW/11:00 CCW you start rotating your head and slowly scissoring your arms so that by the time you reach 3:00 CW/9:00 CCW your head and chest are now facing outside the circle. You'll be looking over your outside shoulder, and once you can spot 5:00 CW/7:00 CCW on your circle, that means you are at 3:00/9:00 and it's time to turn.
    Last edited by vlaurend; 08-13-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Custom Title
    Well I actually don't mind the double toe too much, now that pesky double lutz I am annoyed with.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8indel View Post
    Well I actually don't mind the double toe too much, now that pesky double lutz I am annoyed with.
    Just noticed your signature line. Are you a friend of Ibuki's? I miss her and her parents since they moved back to Nagoya. . . :-(

Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan View Post
    It could be that you are too tense for these. My secondary coach is having me work these things to be more free flowing and easy. We are working on skating "down in my core" and letting the core and hips do work that I have been having my shoulders do all this time. It's making things a lot easier. We've worked a great deal on relaxation...

Custom Title
    Lutz! It's the hardest jump ever for me

I hate doing double lutz

Rinkside
    i hate axels so much. they are whats holding me back right now

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    Just noticed your signature line. Are you a friend of Ibuki's? I miss her and her parents since they moved back to Nagoya. . . :-(
    I'm not a friend of hers. I've just seen her around at competitions and such and I love the way she skates.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast