Which skating moves do you hate? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which skating moves do you hate?

Kat12

Rinkside
Mohawks. 'Nuff said.

It's not that my hips are so "closed." My turnout isn't bad for dancing. But as soon as I'm on the ice it's like my turnout goes away. I think maybe it's because of the skates, I'm not used to having something so heavy on my feet, and am probably afraid I'll click blades and fall down and die. :)

Canastatango

Rinkside
I do not like twizzles. I just can not do it right no matter how many times I try. I am better at inside edge.
I do not like salchow. I love double axels. I can not do clean triples yet.:scowl:

jjane45

On the Ice
My backspins are never BACKspins.
Mostly on a forward inside edge, grrrr~
It now tops my "unlike" list, sigh. :mad:

Sierra

Spectator
Half flip and half lutz. The stupidest jumps ever invented. They teach you to pre rotate and to stay over the left side, which is bad for full flips and lutzes. I spent months struggling with half flip, then a different coach had me try full flip and I landed it almost right away, and was able to show it to my private coach, who immediately asked me why I can do a full flip, but can't jump high on a half flip. I've skipped half lutz and gone straight to full lutz, though I will have to test half lutz for Freeskate 3.
But- really- jumping high, then landing forward, on a TOE PICK- insane!

Bunny Hop

Spectator
Cross-behinds. They are my nemesis. Actually, that's not quite true - it's only the three cross-behinds in a row in the Rhythm Blues that are a problem. I can do a single cross behind (like in Golden Skaters Waltz or Riverside Rhumba) with minimal issues, but the three in a row scares the willies out of me to the point that I can no longer actually persuade myself to even attempt them.

On the up side, we're moving home to Australia shortly, and I've recently found out that Rhythm Blues is not part of the dance testing structure there. This was a cause for much celebration!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
cross-behinds

Ha ha, I don't like them either. I usually try to get by with two. I like the one in the Riverside Rhumba though.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
1) Forward sitspin. I am a lousy forward spinner in general, but I LOATHE this particular spin. Completely opposite toward the back sitspin, which I can do halfway competently, get lower, center, and find my way out of it gracefully.
2) Lunges. I hated these years ago when I first learned them. Still hate them, except now I wouldn't dare try one, as I'd get stuck down there and it would take Emergency Services and a crane to hoist me back to my feet! Fortunately, as an adult skater, I can always tell coach and others "You can't make me, nyah, nyah" and get away with it. :biggrin:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Sierra, I agree with you about half flips and half lutzes.

My skating has been struggling lately as I'm recovering from a knee injury - among the moves I've been having the most trouble with are spirals and split jumps. I can't get my leg higher than my butt (excuse the language) while doing spirals and I can't get high on split jumps, nor can my legs spread out. I'm not very flexible, so spins have been difficult too.

On a lighter note, my favorite moves are Salchows, toe loops and footwork sequences - especially ones with bunny hops, crossovers and three turns.

sk8indel

On the Ice
SO ever since I got any other double jumps I haven't been able to do a double toe. I can do a double axle, and a double axle- double toe. BUt ask me to just do a double toe, or as the first jump in a combo, and I simply can't.

herro

On the Ice
SO ever since I got any other double jumps I haven't been able to do a double toe. I can do a double axle, and a double axle- double toe. BUt ask me to just do a double toe, or as the first jump in a combo, and I simply can't.

I had the same problem with the loop actually. For some reason, doing a double loop out of a combination and doing a solo double loop felt so different for me. I had to almost relearn how to do a loop lol.

chibi.kyra

Spectator
Lunges- I've been working on them for months and I still can't get down enough, an I don't really know why.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Lunges- I've been working on them for months and I still can't get down enough, an I don't really know why.

How are your spirals in comparison? they're supposedly one in the same, except one travels with a boot on the ice. Of course, as I say that, I realise my spirals are horrid, and my lunges are good.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
My backspins are never BACKspins.
Mostly on a forward inside edge, grrrr~
It now tops my "unlike" list, sigh. :mad:

I don't dislike backspins, per se, but I often have the same problem. For some reason I have a really hard time maintaining my weight over the outside of the ball of my foot, and thus my weight falls to the inside and it becomes a forward inside edge. Very frustrating trying to fix this problem as it's not a natural position and I think I have a more neutral center ingrained from dance. Additionally, I learned the skill incorrectly without realizing, so now I have the fun of trying to fix it. :sheesh: