Midsummer Thoughts on the Olympic Front Runners | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Midsummer Thoughts on the Olympic Front Runners

jennylovskt

Medalist
Which of your ToP Five will be the new Olympians that you will be sitting up and biting your finger nails. At least at this point in time. It may well change of the GPs. List is in no particular order, but you can add an asterisk if you want to predict a winner.

"Top Five" and "sitting up and biting finger nails" do not go together in my case.

Here are what I think the top fives:

Ladies

Mao
YuNa*
Rachael
Joannie
Miki

men

Joubert*
Plushenko
Chan
Evan
Daisuke

Pairs

Shen/Zhao*
Pang/Tong
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Zhang/Zhang
?

Ice Dance

Domina/Shabalan
Delobel/Schernfelder*
Virtue/Moir
Belbin/Agosto
?

Here are the people I will be biting finger nails:

Ladies

YuNa
Sasha
Caroline

men

Joubert
Plushenko
Chan
Verner
Daisuke
Weir

Pairs

Shen/Zhao
Pang/Tong
Zhang/Zhang

Ice Dance

Virtue/Moir
Belbin/Agosto
Kerr/Kerr

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Can you tell us what they were saying? What was Bin Yao saying? In anything wrong with Hongbo? (That wince while he was getting massaged.)

They look great! :) Actually, their throws, twists, and jumps all looked good in shows, too. They were clearly keeping up their skill set, in case they decided to come back.

The gist:

It has been two months since S/Z have announced their comeback, let's take a look at their current conditions...

Accompanied by the romantic Adagio music, they are enacting their own love story. Stroking, throw jumps, lifts, spinning, it is hard for non-professionals to discern that they haven't competed for more than two years. Even the element that had worried coach Yao Bin, namely Zhao's solo jump, has a very high success rate right now...

Shen: Mmm, we feel pretty good right now. We concentrated on jumps for a month, and now last month we have been putting together the music, so far everything is going pretty smoothly. Also, it (the comeback) didn't turn out to be as difficult as we had thought it would be. It's going okay.

Yao Bin: Not bad, not bad. It's going better than expected. Over the last two years, we haven't really had a chance to see their technical abilities. They were performing abroad, but performing and competing are like two parallel tracks, although the same technique... So far, we feel pretty positive. The main thing is that they have confidence, self-confidence. They are doing the very best with their physical conditions.

After years of training and injuries, Shen and Zhao's aching, aging bodies need almost two hours of physical therapy/massages every evening after training. One challenge they face is how to avoid injuries.

Zhao: Later on, we'll probably re-encountered some old little injuries and sicknesses, like ankle this, ankle that...

There are still seven months left, whether S/Z can fulfill their Olympic dream is still an unknown, but we will not forget or ignore their effort and hard work.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Not exactly on topic, but I read that Vanessa James and Yannick Bonheur are also in China right now, working with Bin Yao and hopefully learning from being around the top Chinese pairs.

Not exactly on topic, but I read that Vanessa James and Yannick Bonheur are also in China right now, working with Bin Yao and hopefully learning from being around the top Chinese pairs.
Good for them! I hope to see the impact in their skating.

They look great! :) Actually, their throws, twists, and jumps all looked good in shows, too. They were clearly keeping up their skill set, in case they decided to come back.

The gist:

It has been two months since S/Z have announced their comeback, let's take a look at their current conditions...

Accompanied by the romantic Adagio music, they are enacting their own love story. Stroking, throw jumps, lifts, spinning, it is hard for non-professionals to discern that they haven't competed for more than two years. Even the element that had worried coach Yao Bin, namely Zhao's solo jump, has a very high success rate right now...

Shen: Mmm, we feel pretty good right now. We concentrated on jumps for a month, and now last month we have been putting together the music, so far everything is going pretty smoothly. Also, it (the comeback) didn't turn out to be as difficult as we had thought it would be. It's going okay.

Yao Bin: Not bad, not bad. It's going better than expected. Over the last two years, we haven't really had a chance to see their technical abilities. They were performing abroad, but performing and competing are like two parallel tracks, although the same technique... So far, we feel pretty positive. The main thing is that they have confidence, self-confidence. They are doing the very best with their physical conditions.

After years of training and injuries, Shen and Zhao's aching, aging bodies need almost two hours of physical therapy/massages every evening after training. One challenge they face is how to avoid injuries.

Zhao: Later on, we'll probably re-encountered some old little injuries and sicknesses, like ankle this, ankle that...

There are still seven months left, whether S/Z can fulfill their Olympic dream is still an unknown, but we will not forget or ignore their effort and hard work.
Thank you for translating, feraina!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

yes they are :love:

Pairs
Shen/Zhao* (thank you for coming back)
Savchenko/Szolkowy (do new interesting programmes as you always do. First time in olympics; good luck)
Pang/Tong (show me your technical and performing abilities when you are at your best)
Volosochar/Morozov (do it clean, now or never...I want a medal for you)
James/Bonheur (I am sure you are better than last season...just go for it)

Ladies
Joannie (A bit more self-esteem and you will do great. I want gold for you)
Caro K (believe in yourself)
Miki (wow, after watching that ex in Dreams on Ice you are almost my favorite. Skate like that in olympics)
Mao (do excellent 3-axels and relaxe)
Leonova (do your happy skating even better than last season. I really want you to surprise me)
(No nail biting for Yu-na*, she will do fine anyway)

Dance
Kerrs (my favorites)
Pechalat/Bourzat (also my favorites)
Capellini/Lanotte (ditto)

IMO the whole men's FS competition will be nailbiting and the most exciting, unpredictable, fantastic, entertaining, shocking(?) event in Vancouver.

I will be extra nervous watching these:

Jeremy (pleeeease do well with your great music choices)
Johnny (continue beeing cool, take care of yourself and do the skates of your life)
Oda* (learn the rules properly and be funny)
Verner (entertain and show us your technical skills that you master)
Joubert (have a nice, fun training with D/S and perform well in OG. I am curious)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Those who I'll be biting my nails for?

Joannie Rochette: Does she bow to the pressure or let it invigorate her? We've seen both in these past seasons and while I'm hoping it invigorates her (and I think her performance at worlds is provides some reason that it could), but it could go either way.

Fumie Suguri: Is it pretty much taken as definitive that the Japanese team will be Nakano, Asada and Ando? While I quite like her as a skater, I sorta feel similarly to her as I do to Cohen. I can't really imagine her cracking the top five (which would be an achievement) and I genuinely wonder what they get out of going to the Olympics, outside the thrill of competing at the Games (which is not inconsiderable). Anyway, I'm definitely rooting for her to make the Olympic team (though it's unlikely) because I've always enjoyed watching her (over Ando, though I'm warming to her now).

Carolina Kostner: Oh, I want her to comeback from Worlds. While I don't think a medal's in the future, I'm really hoping she delivers a performance that wipes her free skate from memory. I know she tends to be a short program performer, but I'm craving a lights-out long.

Daisuke Takahashi: I'm worried he pushes too hard and reinjures himself. I don't know the ins and outs of his injury, so I might be worrying over nothing, but whatever. He's the closest thing to my favourite male skater currently going (I like Chan quite a bit too) and I want him to do well at the Olympics. But I'd rather make sure he stayed healthy and did well in 2011 at home (if I can't have both).

I'm also hoping that in all four events we get "gold medal" performances. Not like pairs in 2008. I don't necessarily mean winning both/all portions of the skate, but great skates nonetheless.

gold12345

Medalist
How old would they be anyway in Februaury? Would they be the oldest pair ever to win olympic gold?

They'd be 31 and 36. It would be crazy if they won, but I'm still thinking S/S have a better chance to pull this one out. It will be interesting to see how S/Z handle the competitive season after taking a couple years off.

Savchenko/Szolkowy (do new interesting programmes as you always do. First time in olympics; good luck)

It will actually be their second Olympics...They were 6th in 2006. Of course, it's a little different now because they will be going in as the favorites, but I think they can handle it. If not, at least one of the Chinese pairs will probably be ready to step in there and take gold.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
How old would they be anyway in Februaury? Would they be the oldest pair ever to win olympic gold?
Not exactly - it would be comparable to the Protopopovs when they won in Grenoble in 1968 (he was 35, she was 32). But obviosuly pairs skating is more physicially demanding these days, so it would be tougher. Xue Shen will also be close to the age Irina Rodnina was when she won her third gold (less than a year older).

Final Flight
Not exactly - it would be comparable to the Protopopovs when they won in Grenoble in 1968 (he was 35, she was 32). But obviosuly pairs skating is more physicially demanding these days, so it would be tougher. Xue Shen will also be close to the age Irina Rodnina was when she won her third gold (less than a year older).

they seem very strong and live, we'll see when they debut...THEN we can....analyze and speculate.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
PAIRS
Shen/Zhao
Savchenko/Swoklowy(SP i know.....)
Zhang/Zhang
Pang/Tong
Kavaguti/Smirnov

LADIES
Yu-Na
Joannie
Mao
Miki
Rachael/Caroline

MEN
Evengi(as much as I don't like him...)
Brian
Evan
Patrick
Tomas/Daisuke

DANCE
Domina/Shabalin
Belbin/Agosto
Virtue/Moir
Davis/White
Kholokava/Navitski(SP again...)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Who will I be nervous for?

Evan. (my stomach always turns over when he skates. at worlds I could barely stand the nerves.)

Johnny. (so unpredictable).

Brian. (He needs someone to root for him).

Sasha (need I say why?)

Caroline (i never really get nervous for her...becuase she never seems nervous, but she never skated on olympic rings either).

Tanith and Ben ( will be a nervous wreck).

Davis and White :)love: them).

S&S (can they ever be clean?)

Shen and Zhao (my sentimental favorites).

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My choices for front runners are:

Patrick Chan, Joannie Rochette, Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue and either Jessica Dubé / Bryce Davison or Meagan Duhamel / Craig Buntin.

There! Of course they are all Canadian skaters, but the Olympics are being held here in my hometown. Makes sense to me...

:p

AliasJohnDoe

Rinkside
I couldn't choose just one for possible OMG.

Ladies:
1. Kim *
2. Rochette *
3. Asada
4. Czisny :clap:
5. Cohen

Men:
1.Abbott *
2.Lysacek
3.Joubert
4.Chan
5.Oda *

Pairs:
1.Shen/Zhao *
2.Savchenko/Szolkowy
3.Mukhortova/Trankov *
4.Kavagutti/Smirnov
5.McLaughlin/Brubaker

Dance:
1.Belbin/Agosto *
2.Davis/White
3.Virtue.Moir *
4.Delobel/Schoenfelder
5.Domnina/Shabalin :banging:

sillylionlove

Medalist
i think that the men's competition will keep me on the edge of my seat. I can't even pick a favorite because it's really anyone's medal at this point. I think dance will be exciting as well...another one that's up for grabs.

i think that the men's competition will keep me on the edge of my seat. I can't even pick a favorite because it's really anyone's medal at this point. I think dance will be exciting as well...another one that's up for grabs.
Men - definitely :agree: Dance - may aleady be decided. ;) Ladies - which one of the two? and that bronze medal for ??? Pairs - Mistakes will lose the championship for any of the top 5.

For me, there is not much change since Worlds 2009. I am hoping that the GP events and final will give us more clearer soothsaying for the Olys..

merrybari

Final Flight
Men - definitely :agree: Dance - may aleady be decided. ;) Ladies - which one of the two? and that bronze medal for ??? Pairs - Mistakes will lose the championship for any of the top 5.

For me, there is not much change since Worlds 2009. I am hoping that the GP events and final will give us more clearer soothsaying for the Olys..

That pretty much sums it up! Will the season ever start??

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight

Mmm, I wouldn't be so sure about the ladies' competition. When was the last time the favourite, or even the second favourite, won? It seems as though it'll be Yu-Na or maybe Mao, but looking back at the last few olympics, I wouldn't put my money on it.
06: Everyone thought it would be Slutskaya who might have to fight Cohen for gold, but Arakawa won
02: It was supposed to be a Kwan vs Slutskaya match and Hughs won
98: This time the favourite (Kwan) didn't win, but the second favourite did.

I agree that ice-dancing may more or less be decided (at least for gold, although there are two main competitors). However, it's difficult to know who the top 5 will be.