Midsummer Thoughts on the Olympic Front Runners | Golden Skate

Midsummer Thoughts on the Olympic Front Runners

Which of your ToP Five will be the new Olympians that you will be sitting up and biting your finger nails. At least at this point in time. It may well change of the GPs. List is in no particular order, but you can add an asterisk if you want to predict a winner.

Ladies

Mao
YuNa*
Rachael
Sasha
Miki

Gentlemen

Joubert*
Plushenko
Chan
Evan
Kozuka

Pairs

Shen/Zhao
Kavaguti/Smirnov
Pang/Tong
Savchenko/Szolkowy*
Denney/Barrett

Skate Dance

Domina/Shabalan
Delobel/Schernfelder*
Virtue/Moir
Belbin/Agosto
Chock/Zurlein

Of course all this will change after the GPs.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Which of your ToP Five will be the new Olympians that you will be sitting up and biting your finger nails. At least at this point in time. It may well change of the GPs. List is in no particular order, but you can add an asterisk if you want to predict a winner.

Ladies

Caroline
Mirai
Joannie
Sasha

Gentlemen

Plushenko
Evan
Jeremy

Pairs

Shen/Zhao

B]Skate Dance[/B]

Virtue/Moir
Belbin/Agosto
Davis/White

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
you both put kozuka in top five (which I :love: by the way) and you left out Takahashi???:laugh:
Joe you ll be bitting your nails for Evgeni??LOL!and not for Brezina?

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
I dunno. My current plan is to never watch the olympics again. In terms of current skating I don't like the current judging system or the kind of skating it rewards (and I like what it punishes) and I've _loathed_ the olympics for about .... 15(?) years now? A meaningless fossil of a media event that has long outlived its usefulness.

My one and only concern is this: I hope nobody who wins the ogm uses the olympics as a springboard into a non-skating future. Whoever wins that particular overhyped competition (which usually doesn't even have very good skating) I just hope they stay in the public eye skating for a long time (to build up the crucial non-olympic-centered fan base). Beyond that I have a hard time caring.

merrybari

Final Flight
Men:
Evan*
Patrick
Brian
TBD
TBD

Ladies
Yu-Na*
Mao
Caroline
Joannie
Miki

Dance
Tanith & Ben*
Meryl & Charlie
Tessa & Scott
Emily & Evan
Domina & Shabalin

Pairs
Shen & Zhao*
Savchenko & Solkowy
Zhang & Zhang
Pang & Tong
Denny & Barrett

A previous poster's "Ten Guarantees for the next Olympics.... from 2006.

It's interesting to see the guarantees and comments. I didn't want to start a new thread for it, and this seemed as good a place as any.
Wow, this is the first I knew that slutskayafan was banned. Shoot. I really enjoyed his posts. He can't be posting under a new identity because that intense, wildly opinionated personality of his cannot be faked or tamed. I've been missing him.

Back on track, a goodly number of his predictions seem on target to me. Not 4, 8, or 9 though and I hope not 7.

seniorita

Record Breaker
wow who ever wrote back 4 years ago was almost right in all(did you ban him/her only or his crystal ball also:p?, cause it seems the only one working, we need it here :laugh:)
I laughed with all that really predict right, especially with evan and yuna :agree: (joe i saw your post about caroline;) ) but ..lambiel:cry:

janetfan

Match Penalty
She should run for governor. We've got a useless governor here in CA. She'd at least find a way to pass the budget, I'm sure...

Michelle seems destined for a career in the state department. How about her someday becoming our ambassador to China? Then maybe secretary of state.
But I think she does seem to have a natural and inherent saviness about her. Maybe a political career might be better suited to her talents. Govenor Kwan, Senator Kwan, why not President Kwan :clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
1. Russia will win no golds in figure skating the next 4 years if Plushenko retires.

2. Lambiel will not win the next Olympic Gold whether Plushenko retires or not.

3. Belbin/Agosto will not win the next Olympic Gold.

4. The U.S will not win a medal of any color in mens at the next Olympics.

5. Canada will win atleast 2 medals at the next Olympics.

6. Kwan and Slutskaya will not be at the next Olympics.

7. If Cohen is at the next Olympics she will not medal.

8. Zhang/Zhang will be the next Olympic Champions.

9. Pang/Tong will retire before the next Olympics.

10. Sandhu will never win a World medal, and will retire before the next Olympics.

Let's see how he did so far.

1.) Almost. The only gold was in Ice Dance at the 2008 worlds...and if things were fair, they would not even have had that.
2.) True. Lambiel retired.
3.)Likely...but there is still hope.
4.)Also Likely, but anything can and will happen.
5.)Good chance. Very good chance.
6.)Right on.....but then there was that announcement earlier....
7.) Please no!
8.):\ hope not.
9.) no announcement yet.
10.) 100% right here.

jennylovskt

Medalist
A previous poster's "Ten Guarantees for the next Olympics.... from 2006.

It's interesting to see the guarantees and comments. I didn't want to start a new thread for it, and this seemed as good a place as any.

1. Russia will win no golds in figure skating the next 4 years if Plushenko retires.

2. Lambiel will not win the next Olympic Gold whether Plushenko retires or not.

3. Belbin/Agosto will not win the next Olympic Gold.

4. The U.S will not win a medal of any color in mens at the next Olympics.

5. Canada will win atleast 2 medals at the next Olympics.

6. Kwan and Slutskaya will not be at the next Olympics.

7. If Cohen is at the next Olympics she will not medal.

8. Zhang/Zhang will be the next Olympic Champions.

9. Pang/Tong will retire before the next Olympics.

10. Sandhu will never win a World medal, and will retire before the next Olympics.

1. So close.
2. Right.
3. Looks like.
4. Ouch! Don't let Evan see this!
5. I wish!
6. Right.
7. Seems that is the case.
8. ? Don't know.
9. Wrong.
10. Right!

It's so interesting. There are so many predictions right on or very close. Made the rest of them sounded reliable.:biggrin: Could you please stretch a little with your ideas, "slutskayafan"? :yes:;)

Last edited:

jjane45

On the Ice
OT but what an interesting crystal ball back from 2006... And people already mentioning Caroline, too!

Unless, of course, he came back as ImaginaryPogue. ;)
:biggrin: Nah, can't be. Slutskayafan speaks in stream of consciousness - long sentences and paragraphs with extremely idiosyncratic syntax and spelling. Not to mention a special blend of vast self-confidence, encyclopedic knowledge, and withering condescension.

It was like a little breath of that other board in the civilized family of GS.

Well, I will hope he finds a way to come back for the Olympic season.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Ladies:

Yu-Na
Mao
Joannie
Miki
Carolina

Men:

Brian
Evan
Evgeni
Patrick
Daisuke

Pairs:

S&S
S&Z
P&T
Z&Z
K&S

Ice-dancing

D&S
D&S
V&M
B&A
D&W

Footnotes:

Ladies:
It's too early to predict anything concerning Sasha. I also think that although these are the 5 that will be battling it for gold, there are a certain amount of skaters who could upset things and grab bronze: Caroline, Laura Lepisto, Nakano or Suguri (whoever is going).
I also think that we should reallt be careful in predicting who will win gold, because in the ladies' field the favourite never wins.

Men:
There is no clear favourite here. I also found it tough to pick just five. As much as I think that the main contenders are Brian, Evan and Patrick, I think there are a lot of people who could make it onto the podium: Plush, any of the Japanese guys, Tomas Verner...
I think the men's competition will be the most interesting.

Pairs:
I'd add D&D to those five. I also am doubtful as to whether S&S, despite being the favourites, will actually get gold. I think that it's going to be a tough and interesting fight.

Ice-dancing:
This was a little easier. However, one must take into consideration one or two outsiders (for a medal, not the title): K&N, P&B (although I doubt that the judges will want to give two medals to France).