Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Midsummer Thoughts on the Olympic Front Runners

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    A previous poster's "Ten Guarantees for the next Olympics.... from 2006.

It's interesting to see the guarantees and comments. I didn't want to start a new thread for it, and this seemed as good a place as any.

1. Russia will win no golds in figure skating the next 4 years if Plushenko retires.

2. Lambiel will not win the next Olympic Gold whether Plushenko retires or not.

3. Belbin/Agosto will not win the next Olympic Gold.

4. The U.S will not win a medal of any color in mens at the next Olympics.

5. Canada will win atleast 2 medals at the next Olympics.

6. Kwan and Slutskaya will not be at the next Olympics.

7. If Cohen is at the next Olympics she will not medal.

8. Zhang/Zhang will be the next Olympic Champions.

9. Pang/Tong will retire before the next Olympics.

10. Sandhu will never win a World medal, and will retire before the next Olympics.
    1. So close.
    2. Right.
    3. Looks like.
    4. Ouch! Don't let Evan see this!
    5. I wish!
    6. Right.
    7. Seems that is the case.
    8. ? Don't know.
    9. Wrong.
    10. Right!

It's so interesting. There are so many predictions right on or very close. Made the rest of them sounded reliable. Could you please stretch a little with your ideas, "slutskayafan"?
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 07-02-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Custom Title

Thumbs up

OT but what an interesting crystal ball back from 2006... And people already mentioning Caroline, too!

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Unless, of course, he came back as ImaginaryPogue.
    Nah, can't be. Slutskayafan speaks in stream of consciousness - long sentences and paragraphs with extremely idiosyncratic syntax and spelling. Not to mention a special blend of vast self-confidence, encyclopedic knowledge, and withering condescension.

It was like a little breath of that other board in the civilized family of GS.

Well, I will hope he finds a way to come back for the Olympic season.

Ladies:

Yu-Na
    Mao
    Joannie
    Miki
    Carolina

Men:

Brian
    Evan
    Evgeni
    Patrick
    Daisuke

Pairs:

S&S
    S&Z
    P&T
    Z&Z
    K&S

Ice-dancing

D&S
    D&S
    V&M
    B&A
    D&W

Footnotes:

Ladies:
    It's too early to predict anything concerning Sasha. I also think that although these are the 5 that will be battling it for gold, there are a certain amount of skaters who could upset things and grab bronze: Caroline, Laura Lepisto, Nakano or Suguri (whoever is going).
    I also think that we should reallt be careful in predicting who will win gold, because in the ladies' field the favourite never wins.

Men:
    There is no clear favourite here. I also found it tough to pick just five. As much as I think that the main contenders are Brian, Evan and Patrick, I think there are a lot of people who could make it onto the podium: Plush, any of the Japanese guys, Tomas Verner...
    I think the men's competition will be the most interesting.

Pairs:
    I'd add D&D to those five. I also am doubtful as to whether S&S, despite being the favourites, will actually get gold. I think that it's going to be a tough and interesting fight.

Ice-dancing:
    This was a little easier. However, one must take into consideration one or two outsiders (for a medal, not the title): K&N, P&B (although I doubt that the judges will want to give two medals to France).

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    you both put kozuka in top five (which I by the way) and you left out Takahashi???
    Joe you ll be bitting your nails for Evgeni??LOL!and not for Brezina?
    Brezina will be glowing with gold in Socci.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    i posted by accident in plushthread, in fsu news they say lambiel will compete in nebelhorn without posting a source Mid summer surprises??(i m afraid to be happy..)

Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    OT but what an interesting crystal ball back from 2006... And people already mentioning Caroline, too!
    Heaping praise and expectation on skating 5 year olds was very in vogue in 2006. Everyone was hoping to spot the next female olympic champion before anyone else ever heard of her. Since the next generation failed to make a splash or secure three places for the Olympics (something totally unimaginable back then) it seems people have stopped looking at the intermediate and novice levels quite so closely declaring champions

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    i posted by accident in plushthread, in fsu news they say lambiel will compete in nebelhorn without posting a source Mid summer surprises??(i m afraid to be happy..)
    Well the sourse for that is a German skating magazine Eislauffen.

Plus don't forget that Plushy was very confident that his rival in Vancouver would be Lambiel, after they had both been doing the same tour...speculation flying round all over the place!

Ant
    Last edited by antmanb; 07-03-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Custom Title
    Not all front runners, but these are the skaters whose skating as Olympians I will follow with biggest enthusiasm:

Men
    Lysacek
    Plushenko
    Verner
    Takahashi
    Ten (Denis)

Ladies
    Kim
    Asada
    Cohen
    Lepisto
    Nagasu

Pairs
    Shen & Zhao
    Pang & Tong
    Kawaguchi & Smirnov
    Mukhortova & Trankov
    ?

Dance
    Denkova & Staviski (if they are coming back)
    Belbin & Agosto
    Khokhlova & Novitski
    Kerr & Kerr
    Faiella & Scali

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Dance
    Denkova & Staviski (if they are coming back)
    I think their competitive career is over. As I understand it, Albena and Maxim are getting into choreo - they've been working on Brian Joubert's new LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I think their competitive career is over. As I understand it, Albena and Maxim are getting into choreo - they've been working on Brian Joubert's new LP.
    Maksim is also listed as a coach of Pechalat and Bourzat.

Custom Title
    Just the idea of Maxim Staviiski returning for the Olympics makes me want to gag.

Maxim's drunk driving caused the death of one person and incapacitating injury to another. He escaped a prison sentence, but has HUGE fines to pay as the result of his conviction, and he has to work to pay those fines. IMO, he has truly disgraced himself and should never return to eligible skating because that would set a horrible example for the younger skaters.

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    Ladies

Kim* - don't bother
    Asada - she'll try to show off her 3A
    Lepisto - fierce and cute
    Ando - dark horse
    Rochette -___- home ice and for some reason she won silver at worlds? i always feel uncomfortable seeing her skate for some reason.

Mens

Joubert* - allez!
    Plushenko - i guess....
    Chan - home ice, for some reason he isn't OGM material to me
    Evan - we'll see how his ego runs
    Verner - when clean, he is magic
    Abbott - just focus.

Pairs

Shen/Zhao* - after doing a recap of their highlight programs...wow please
    Kavaguti/Smirnov - show off their 4S
    Pang/Tong - up and down
    Savchenko/Szolkowy - sorry, shen/zhao won me
    Zhang/Zhang - FIGHT!

Ice Dance

Delobel/Schoenfelder************************************
    Domina/Shabalin - never had an attachment to this team.
    Khokhlova/ Novitski - funky and strong
    Belbin/Agosto - repeat silver
    Davis/ White - will beat V/M

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Why the insistence that athletes be role models? That's a question that has always puzzled me. Athletes are supposed to be good at their sport. They should be a decent role model for how to compete and train, and of sportsmanship, (which would include not using performance enhancing drugs) but I fail to see why they should be expected to provide a moral example to the young in areas having little to do with their sport, like speeding or drinking or running around on their partners.

That kind of moral example, to me, should be the province of people making moral claims, like the clergy, for example, or politicians who run on a family values platform. (And many of them don't seem to do so well on this.) Or the kids' parents.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Just the idea of Maxim Staviiski returning for the Olympics makes me want to gag.
    we stayed in same hotel in milan for golden skates and i found him a decent person to speak to, anyway, no matter what he did, their skating in show was amazing and thats the real thing we should look.An accident or a bad moment can happen to anyone.
    To combine the other topic I was shocked with how tiny sasha is from close...but gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Why the insistence that athletes be role models?
    I think if you know that children are looking up to you for whatever reason, you should try to do right.

In fact, you should try to do right whether children are looking up to you or not.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast