Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Midsummer Thoughts on the Olympic Front Runners

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Why the insistence that athletes be role models? That's a question that has always puzzled me. Athletes are supposed to be good at their sport. They should be a decent role model for how to compete and train, and of sportsmanship, (which would include not using performance enhancing drugs) but I fail to see why they should be expected to provide a moral example to the young in areas having little to do with their sport, like speeding or drinking or running around on their partners.

That kind of moral example, to me, should be the province of people making moral claims, like the clergy, for example, or politicians who run on a family values platform. (And many of them don't seem to do so well on this.) Or the kids' parents
    Exactly. Why should they set examples. I think their examples are in their sport and clean living. If the kids can't pick that ups, well......

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think if you know that children are looking up to you for whatever reason, you should try to do right.

In fact, you should try to do right whether children are looking up to you or not.
    Shouldn't an adult do right in life anyway?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I love this board, it has so much wisdom to share

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I love this board, it has so much wisdom to share
    That's because Joe and Mr. Math are like three times older than we are. Age often translates into wisdom.

i can think of some cases when this is not the case
    why you ruin my compliment post, i was really serious for once.

Custom Title
    we stayed in same hotel in milan for golden skates and i found him a decent person to speak to, anyway, no matter what he did, their skating in show was amazing and thats the real thing we should look.An accident or a bad moment can happen to anyone.
    Maxim got behind the wheel drunk, and was speeding on a wet and slippery road when he hit another car and killed one occupant and left another seriously brain-injured. That did not happen as an "accident" or a "bad moment". Maxim had been stopped by a policeman and warned to cut down on his speed, but Maxim in his arrogance and disregard for others thought the law did not apply to him.

He was found guilty of manslaughter and is therefore a convicted felon. That he is "decent to speak to" and an "amazing" skater does not make up for his crime.

i know the story.
    I m not sure I can explain. I have the same "judging" about anyone who gets behind the wheel drunk and him, he is no exception, he was as idiot as anyone else. But him being a known skater doesnt make his crime bigger than the others. Just as guilty as the rest. There is a court to convict him not me. I just met the skater.
    I m sorry if I made you think wrong. My comment was made concerning role models.

Banned
    Shen & Zhao are looking good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M70qDxhUqcA

Custom Title
    i know the story.
    I m not sure I can explain. I have the same "judging" about anyone who gets behind the wheel drunk and him, he is no exception, he was as idiot as anyone else. But him being a known skater doesnt make his crime bigger than the others. Just as guilty as the rest. There is a court to convict him not me. I just met the skater.
    I m sorry if I made you think wrong. My comment was made concerning role models.
    Staviiski is certainly NOT a role model.

And he didn't just drive drunk, he KILLED a man. The only reason his jail sentence was dismissed in Bulgaria was BECAUSE he was a star athlete. If he had killed a man while driving drunk in the US, he would almost certainly have gotten jail time.

i didnt say he is a role model, non should be anyway.

Lol ok, I m with you, and if you consder...i dont even like ice dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Staviiski is certainly NOT a role model.

And he didn't just drive drunk, he KILLED a man. The only reason his jail sentence was dismissed in Bulgaria was BECAUSE he was a star athlete. If he had killed a man while driving drunk in the US, he would almost certainly have gotten jail time.
    No it wasn't. According to Bulgarian law, any person who had no previous criminal record and commited a crime like Maxim had would not be getting jail. In fact, his jail time was suspended because the judge thought he got it only because he is famous and it was way harsher than any punishment a regular citizen would get.

Bulgaria is not US, and they have their own laws, and you seem to be missing that point.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redshirt View Post
    Shen & Zhao are looking good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M70qDxhUqcA
    WOW. Thank you! They look great!! It's as if no time had passed. That death spiral position is amazing - Xue Shen can pull it off, so many others would make it look awkward.

Can you tell us what they were saying? What was Bin Yao saying? In anything wrong with Hongbo? (That wince while he was getting massaged.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Which of your ToP Five will be the new Olympians that you will be sitting up and biting your finger nails. At least at this point in time. It may well change of the GPs. List is in no particular order, but you can add an asterisk if you want to predict a winner.
    "Top Five" and "sitting up and biting finger nails" do not go together in my case.

Here are what I think the top fives:

Ladies

Mao
    YuNa*
    Rachael
    Joannie
    Miki

men

Joubert*
    Plushenko
    Chan
    Evan
    Daisuke

Pairs

Shen/Zhao*
    Pang/Tong
    Savchenko/Szolkowy
    Zhang/Zhang
    ?

Ice Dance

Domina/Shabalan
    Delobel/Schernfelder*
    Virtue/Moir
    Belbin/Agosto
    ?

Here are the people I will be biting finger nails:

Ladies

YuNa
    Sasha
    Caroline

men

Joubert
    Plushenko
    Chan
    Verner
    Daisuke
    Weir

Pairs

Shen/Zhao
    Pang/Tong
    Zhang/Zhang

Ice Dance

Virtue/Moir
    Belbin/Agosto
    Kerr/Kerr
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 07-04-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Can you tell us what they were saying? What was Bin Yao saying? In anything wrong with Hongbo? (That wince while he was getting massaged.)
    They look great! Actually, their throws, twists, and jumps all looked good in shows, too. They were clearly keeping up their skill set, in case they decided to come back.

The gist:

It has been two months since S/Z have announced their comeback, let's take a look at their current conditions...

Accompanied by the romantic Adagio music, they are enacting their own love story. Stroking, throw jumps, lifts, spinning, it is hard for non-professionals to discern that they haven't competed for more than two years. Even the element that had worried coach Yao Bin, namely Zhao's solo jump, has a very high success rate right now...

Shen: Mmm, we feel pretty good right now. We concentrated on jumps for a month, and now last month we have been putting together the music, so far everything is going pretty smoothly. Also, it (the comeback) didn't turn out to be as difficult as we had thought it would be. It's going okay.

Yao Bin: Not bad, not bad. It's going better than expected. Over the last two years, we haven't really had a chance to see their technical abilities. They were performing abroad, but performing and competing are like two parallel tracks, although the same technique... So far, we feel pretty positive. The main thing is that they have confidence, self-confidence. They are doing the very best with their physical conditions.

After years of training and injuries, Shen and Zhao's aching, aging bodies need almost two hours of physical therapy/massages every evening after training. One challenge they face is how to avoid injuries.

Zhao: Later on, we'll probably re-encountered some old little injuries and sicknesses, like ankle this, ankle that...

There are still seven months left, whether S/Z can fulfill their Olympic dream is still an unknown, but we will not forget or ignore their effort and hard work.
    Last edited by feraina; 07-04-2009 at 05:03 AM.

Not exactly on topic, but I read that Vanessa James and Yannick Bonheur are also in China right now, working with Bin Yao and hopefully learning from being around the top Chinese pairs.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Not exactly on topic, but I read that Vanessa James and Yannick Bonheur are also in China right now, working with Bin Yao and hopefully learning from being around the top Chinese pairs.
    Good for them! I hope to see the impact in their skating.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast