Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Thoughts About Choreography

  1. #31
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Footwork? How quickly you forgot the great Kurt Browning
    Besides him.

  2. #32
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Besides him.
    Brian Orser?

  3. #33
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Brian Orser?
    No not really. In his 1988 long program his footwork sequence consisted of some side pushes, a couple three turns, and some bunny hops/little jumps. Great speed and jumps but not great footwork, IMO.

  4. #34
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Besides him.
    Fadeev.

    NHK 1988; yes, the program needs a bit... getting used to? But there is barely a simply cross-over, the steps preceding the Triple Loop are amazing in my opinion. Spins were a bit slow here, but usually he also had interesting spins.

    Of course it is not the same as COP footwork.

  5. #35
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    No not really. In his 1988 long program his footwork sequence consisted of some side pushes, a couple three turns, and some bunny hops/little jumps. Great speed and jumps but not great footwork, IMO.
    Watch some of his pro skating. Orser was known for his all around skating skills and that generally includes footwork. Some of his show routines showed some footwork that right now Patrick can only dream about doing.
    jmo

  6. #36
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Fadeev.

    NHK 1988; yes, the program needs a bit... getting used to? But there is barely a simply cross-over, the steps preceding the Triple Loop are amazing in my opinion. Spins were a bit slow here, but usually he also had interesting spins.

    Of course it is not the same as COP footwork.
    That was 1988 and he needed refinement more than he needed footwork. He was fine with that. So talented and to drop out of sight, why? Now that he's back, can we still get that incredible FLOW over the ice. No stopping and posing, for me, is super showmanship.

  7. #37
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Meanwhile, check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duVMI...eature=related

    Just my pick for gold in Socci and top 10 in Vancouver. I wonder what will happen in Czech Nationals and Euros?

  8. #38
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Meanwhile, check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duVMI...eature=related

    Just my pick for gold in Socci and top 10 in Vancouver. I wonder what will happen in Czech Nationals and Euros?
    Thanks Joe. I just watched - great skating - only 18? Great future.
    I am happy to cheer for this kid since Prague has a special place in my heart.

  9. #39
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Thanks Joe. I just watched - great skating - only 18? Great future.
    I am happy to cheer for this kid since Prague has a special place in my heart.
    Unfortunately, his best footwork was at the GPF and there doesn't seem to be any on youtube. But try his Singing in the Rain just to see the showmanship, and at 18? Very special talent, but the question begs, Is he competitive?, Showman? or both? Hope Icenetwork, keeps us viewing all those comps. He's got Joubert, Weir and Rippon in NHK . and Chan, Abbott and Contesti in Skate Canada. I more than likely will go to SC. Kitchner is a bit awkward for flights, though.

    SC also has Mirai, Caroline and Rochette. It's the last GP to make it to the Finals, so everyone should be at their best. The points count. Great Pairs, and Skate Dance entries there too.

  10. #40
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    That was 1988 and he needed refinement more than he needed footwork. He was fine with that. So talented and to drop out of sight, why? Now that he's back, can we still get that incredible FLOW over the ice. No stopping and posing, for me, is super showmanship.
    as far as I know the Fadeev of the 80s is not "back" ??? Perhaps we are thinking of Fedor ANDREV (however it's spelled)

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Wasn't she the one who did the group choreo in the last COI tours? That is how I know her work.
    Yes, she did!

    GoldenSkate actually did a superb interview with her back in 2004, exactly 5 years ago today ~ http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2004/070304.shtml . It's a MUST READ.

    She literally is a genius and deserves all the accolades & superlatives, each & every one. Oksana was blessed to work with her, as well as so many others, including Michelle & Scott as Tonichelle mentioned. In fact, my favorite program of Michelle's (aka Fields of Gold ) was choreographed by none other than Sarah.

    And my all-time favorite group number she did for Champions on Ice was Bolero. I've watched that group number so many times I wore out my tape.

    I wish she would choreograph a number for someone this upcoming Olympics. I just cannot extol her virtues enough. She's a genius.

  12. #42
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28
    Nobody has mentioned Platov yet, despite him being one of the best young choreographers ( if not the best).

  13. #43
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Wasn't he responsible for the fall of Alexander Abt?

  14. #44
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by LLLLutz View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Platov yet, despite him being one of the best young choreographers ( if not the best).
    I'm not sure I'd refer to him as a young choreographer - there are younger ones around (e.g. Morozov, Romain Haguenauer, Shae-Lynn Bourne). Other than the Kerrs, can you give any good examples of skaters he's been successul with? He didn't do well with Joubert, though that to me seemed a difference in styles, as can happen with other choreographers and skaters.

    And welcome to GS!

  15. #45
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    It's a MUST READ.
    OK, since it's a must read, I went there and read it. Thank youfor the link, Nadine.

    Quote Originally Posted by LLLLutz View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Platov yet, despite him being one of the best young choreographers ( if not the best).
    I did, on the 1st page of this thread. I loved Platov's choreo for Johnny Weir. But that collaboration took place many many years ago, some might have forgotten, Johnny used to move like that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •