View Poll Results: Which tem did the best job as commentators last season?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Simon Reed and Chris Howarth

33 50.00%
  • Nancy Kerrigan

1 1.52%
  • Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton

3 4.55%
  • PJ Kwong

8 12.12%
  • Kurt Browning and Tracy Wilson

12 18.18%
  • None of above or I watch without commentary

9 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite English-speaking TV commentators (recent)

Banned

Your favorite English-speaking TV commentators (recent)

Simon Reed and Chris Howarth

Nancy Kerrigan

Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton

PJ Kwong - My personal pick!

Kurt Browning and Tracy Wilson

None of above or I watch without commentary
    Last edited by jaws12345; 06-13-2009 at 05:07 AM.

The British lads of course! Plus they don't have an accent, they speak real English. So much easier to understand and so much more pleasant to listen to.

Custom Title
    Simon & Chris for me, no question.

Mrs. Roman Kostomarov icedancingnut31's Avatar
    The Eurosport guys. They are the only ones who stay quiet when the skaters are actually skating and they are entertaining. Other commentators talk so much that you can barely hear the skaters' music. These guys need to teach Hamilton and Button a lesson about proper commentating. Whenever I here Button, Wynne, Bezic, Hamilton, Wilson or any of the other ones I end up screaming shut up at the tv more than watching the actual skating.

They talk so much it distracts me and the fact that Oksana Dominina is dating former Olympic Champion Roman Kostomarov is not something I really want to hear during a D/S program, I want to here their music and not the commentators voices and D/S's life story

Quote Originally Posted by icedancingnut31 View Post
    The Eurosport guys. They are the only ones who stay quiet when the skaters are actually skating and they are entertaining. Other commentators talk so much that you can barely hear the skaters' music. These guys need to teach Hamilton and Button a lesson about proper commentating. Whenever I here Button, Wynne, Bezic, Hamilton, Wilson or any of the other ones I end up screaming shut up at the tv more than watching the actual skating.

They talk so much it distracts me and the fact that Oksana Dominina is dating former Olympic Champion Roman Kostomarov is not something I really want to hear during a D/S program, I want to here their music and not the commentators voices and D/S's life story
    You are so right! (wheeee, Kostomarov is dating Dominina? That's cool! )

Have you listened to the Chris-Howard-interview on manleywoman's podcast? He really explains a lot about the commentary, says that there are just different styles (e.g. the Germans speak even less during the programs) etc. It's really interesting to listen to!

I voted Simon and Chris, but it's basically a vote for Chris. It doesn't matter if he's working with Simon or Nicky, he manages to make it easy to understand what's happening - which was really helpful when I first started watching and when CoP came in - and does so without talking non-stop and without stupid conspiracy theories. Also, he usually finds something positive to say even about the lower-ranked skaters .

Having grown up in places where American English was more commonly heard, I must say - Medusa, of course the ES guys have an accent. It's just one you're used to .

I don't think I've ever heard PJ, have only seen Kurt in fluffs, and Scott and Sandra - well, the less said the better; if only they felt the same way. IMO, Nancy doesn't do a good enough job explaining how the program construction and elements relate to the judging system; also, her voice annoys me.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 06-13-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Hmmmmmm kinda bummed that in order to choose Kurt I have to also choose Tracy (can't stand listening to her talk for some reason lol)....

Mrs. Roman Kostomarov icedancingnut31's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Medusa;400507] (wheeee, Kostomarov is dating Dominina? That's cool! )

They have been dating for several years
    Proof: http://s55.radikal.ru/i148/0905/d0/234afe4e0b12.jpg
    http://cs655.vkontakte.ru/u7398867/2...x_b3f54938.jpg
    http://www.rol.ru/pictures/misc/news/29qet.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    You are so right! (wheeee, Kostomarov is dating Dominina? That's cool! )

Have you listened to the Chris-Howard-interview on manleywoman's podcast? He really explains a lot about the commentary, says that there are just different styles (e.g. the Germans speak even less during the programs) etc. It's really interesting to listen to!
    The interview is a nice one. Funny stuff. Thanks!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I don't have a clue who Simon Reed and Chris Howarth are nor their credentials in the figure skating world so I have to of course go with two famous Canucks who I do know - Kurt and Tracy. I especially like Tracy for ice dance because she is an Olympic bronze medal champion ice dancer herself and knows her stuff. Kurt just goes without saying, not only is he a World Champion and knows his stuff, he is also entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    I don't have a clue who Simon Reed and Chris Howarth are nor their credentials in the figure skating world
    Not sure about Simon, but Chris is a former figure skater who now works as a coach and in other capacities related to skating. He knows what he's talking about and understands the scoring system pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Kurt just goes without saying, not only is he a World Champion and knows his stuff, he is also entertaining.
    He is also biased, overly opinionated and close to populistic in his approach.

I respect him immensely as a skater, I consider some of his choreographic work to be very interesting - but I don't have to respect him as a commentator.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Not sure about Simon, but Chris is a former figure skater who now works as a coach and in other capacities related to skating. He knows what he's talking about and understands the scoring system pretty well.
    All I know about Simon is that he's the brother of actor Oliver Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurofan View Post
    All I know about Simon is that he's the brother of actor Oliver Reed.
    Seriously? Wow. You learn something new every day.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    i adore british eurosport guys, I love them, they are funny, know when to mute and when to speak, they speak with low tones and their comments are always polite even if sharp , even for the last of of the last!And they have this british accent..
    now i like also this guy , the first one who speaks on video, can you you tell me who they are?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J47lXB7QYJQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast