Liberty Championships July 15 -18, 2009, Aston, PA | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Liberty Championships July 15 -18, 2009, Aston, PA

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks for the news!

I am surprised that Patrick tried the quad so early in the season, he may prove me wrong about being serious about going for it.

I was very impressed with that girl's triple axel. It looked much better than Kimmie's at the 2005 nationals, and really a pity it was downgraded. She made it look very easy!

i love to skate

Medalist
Props to Patrick for attempting the quad in his long program. It's great to hear that it was landed in the warm up. I think he can prove a lot of people wrong this season. Hopefully we will be able to see a video of the performance. I can't wait to see what his program looks like!

I would love to see more videos of Cassar, Razzano and, of course Patrick.

The season is at its earliest and these "B" comps in N.America can be meaningless. For most it's just a run-through before the GP reality shows. Go Patric... if it takes 1 out of three, you've already done one. With 2 to go, and then by the Olys it will be a success! :)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Cassar - stole the show, for me. His program to Schindlers list was awesome. He turned out of some of the triples but, nobody cared. The audience was left breathless. Overall he has gotten stronger on his triples. I wanted to tell him what a great job he did but, Sylvia and some other lady were gushing all over him, trying to interview him.
Ahem. ;) For the record, I did speak to Jonathan Cassar after his mesmerizing "Schindler's List" FS performance, but only as a long-time admirer of his skating. I was not one of the 2 reporters trying to interview him because I am not a professional journalist -- I merely tweeted from Liberty. :) Just wanted to clear that up!

Too bad you didn't wait for an opportunity to tell Cassar in person how much you enjoyed his program, MasterB -- I know he would have appreciated it. I saw Paul Wylie (who skated a wonderful pro program to "Schindler's List") go over to Cassar afterwards and talk to him (but didn't hear what was said).

A Senior Men's FS article is up: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090719&content_id=5941872&vkey=ice_news

ETA:
Icenetwork's Liberty coverage includes many articles -- they can all be found at this link (starting on 7/17/09): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/archive.jsp

Off-ice photos (2 galleries so far): http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/

Last edited:

MasterB

Final Flight
Sylvia,

I checked out icenetwork and no mention of Cassar's performance or Melissa's triple axel. I know her axel was downgraded but, it was still very impressive.

Paul Wylie did speak to Cassar about his program and he basically was thanking him for doing a great job with it. Cassar was very appreciative with the feedback.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I checked out icenetwork and no mention of Cassar's performance or Melissa's triple axel. I know her axel was downgraded but, it was still very impressive.

Yeah, you'd think the 3rd American lady to land the 3A in competition, regardless of quality, would warrant a footnote or an asterisk.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Yeah, you'd think the 3rd American lady to land the 3A in competition, regardless of quality, would warrant a footnote or an asterisk.

If it was downgraded, then it doesn't count as having been landed in competition I believe.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
FYI, this particular topic was covered at last year's Liberty in this article: Bulanhagui tackles triple Axel at [2008] Liberty.

More results have been added to the official results page for 2009 Liberty: http://www.libertyskating.org/2009Results.html
(IJS results still missing as of late Sunday night: Junior Men FS (initial round) and Final, Junior Ladies Free Skating - Group C, Junior Ladies FS Final, Senior Ladies FS A & B, Senior Men FS.)

Last edited:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Wooow...so happy to watch the videos! Thank you!
I really appreciate Patrick's attitude towards the quad. He always seems to have a great confidence inside him. And of course, he has an outstanding talent.
The music looks a bit difficult to understand when you hear it for the first time. But the opening part is very beautiful and lyrical.
Well, it will be a lyrical Phantom, but it's not a surprise.

Medusa

Record Breaker
What's with the music cut for Chan's program? The editing is horrific! It's like a bad youtube video "most famous melodies of POTO in 5 minutes".

He is a great skater though, amazing edges and lots of confidence.

But someone has to fix the music cut. Or better: chuck the music and find something decent to skate to.

What's with the music cut for Chan's program? The editing is horrific! It's like a bad youtube video "most famous melodies of POTO in 5 minutes".

He is a great skater though, amazing edges and lots of confidence.

But someone has to fix the music cut. Or better: chuck the music and find something decent to skate to.
ITA. The cut is dreadful. Not worthy for such a musical skater as Patrick.

Patrick continues to show his musicality with the commensurate speed of the program. Most notable: He doesn't stop! but keeps on stroking along.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Well, look at the positive side...that cut makes the program oniric...like a Buñuel movie :laugh:

By the way...the "Music of the night" part really impresses and moves me. So touching... but the circular step sequence looks too similar to the Tango's...

Well, look at the positive side...that cut makes the program oniric...like a Buñuel movie

By the way...the "Music of the night" part really impresses and moves me. So touching... but the circular step sequence looks too similar to the Tango's...
:laugh: I really enjoy Bunuel movies. He makes one think. What was that Bourgoisie one where everyone was rushing to get to the next level and just couldn't? :laugh:

To me Music of the Night is a copy of Brigadoon's 'Come to Me, Bend to Me, Tell Me That Your Mine' No? However, I think Patrick stayed with the music quite well without resorting to being the Phantom.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NG5zHuBpmM

Keegan Messing's Incredible Hulk LP (This is the new camera!)
He killed Kermit and used him for parts!!! :eek: I can see how the costume is meant to fit the theme but wow, it's awful.

Thanks so much for posting, looks like the new camera was a very good buy :). I'll watch the whole thing at work tomorrow - faster connection, and my boss will be out of office.

Medusa

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NG5zHuBpmM

Keegan Messing's Incredible Hulk LP (This is the new camera!)
That's one cool program! I love how he put the last three jumps right at the end, especially how the Lutz goes directly into the final pose. It was also pretty good content-wise - there was the step-out on the second Triple Axel and the splat on the Loop, but apart from that it looked really good.

The American men are so diverse and there are so many talents, it's totally amazing. The best men's skating program in the World.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jonathan Cassar's LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc1R0FxOvt4

Jonathan always has great spread eagles, and uses them creatively in this LP too.

Yes, the only downside of the new camera (Fuji s1500)
1. It makes a grinding noise if you use the zoom, so you can't use it during a program.
2. The .avi files for an LP are about 240kb :eek: So it takes a long time to upload, or a long time to shrink and upload. Either way a long time.

Last edited: