2009-2010 Programs by Discipline | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2009-2010 Programs by Discipline

seniorita

Record Breaker
Nobody got happy on Takahashi's La Strada??I m so excited for Dai:clap: I dont know anyone else except Graziev to skate to that:scratch:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Nobody got happy on Takahashi's La Strada??I m so excited for Dai:clap: I dont know anyone else except Graziev to skate to that:scratch:
I think La Strada is a great choice!!! But I think this is an interesting choice since (IIRC) only pairs or dance teams have skated to this. Wait - I think Yoshie Onda had a Nino Rota program, but ditched it after a couple of competitions.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I for one am happy. It's a decent piece of music. Can't say I'm crazy happy about Camerlengo being his new free skate choreographer, but it can work out exceptionally well, I guess. I like some of Pasquale's works, but some are pretty generic, IMHO. Anyways, Daisuke needed a change and a challenge, so now he's got both. Go Daisuke! :rock:

Jeffrey Buttle skated to La Strada a couple of years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owL49QxHcVk

As for Evan Lysacek's music / choreo choices, there is no surprise. He goes for something that works for him. But maybe there will be something new in his costume design, and I mean _good_ new, not like that last season's 1st LP creation of his ;)

berrycute

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure Laura Lepistö is using the same SP as last season (Imagined Oceans by Karl Jenkins). Rumour has it her LP will be a tango, I sure hope not though as that's pretty similar to the Don Juan LP she's had for the past two seasons. She should try something really different, maybe a waltz or some piano music. I think she'd do well with Elgar's Cello Concerto or Sibelius' Valse Triste, plus, in the case of the latter, it's nice to pick music from your home country in an olympic year.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Earlier today I mentioned (on another thread) that Tomas Verner's new programs have apparently been announced in the Czech media. This has now been confirmed on his fan forum and I'm therefore posting the information here.

SP- Zorba the Greek
LP- The Godfather

Good luck, Tomas! Has anyone ever skated a competitive program to Zorba the Greek?

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
SP- Zorba the Greek
LP- The Godfather

Good luck, Tomas! Has anyone ever skated a competitive program to Zorba the Greek?
A number of skaters have used Zorba the Greek:

Anna Kondrashova, 1988 Olympics SP
Elena Valova/Oleg Vasiliev, 1988 Olympics SP
Surya Bonaly, 1992 Olympics SP
Scott Davis, 1994 Olympics SP
Nicole Bobek, 1998 Olympics SP
Kyoko Ina/Jason Dungjen, 1997-98 SP (after a few competitions, went back to previous season's Japanese Kodo Drum SP)
Romanova/Yaroshenko, 1996 (?) FD
Megan Wing/Aaron Lowe, 2005 FD

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For that matter, Linichuk and Karponosov used Zorba in the Olympics for part of their FD. (1980)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Earlier today I mentioned (on another thread) that Tomas Verner's new programs have apparently been announced in the Czech media. This has now been confirmed on his fan forum and I'm therefore posting the information here.

SP- Zorba the Greek
LP- The Godfather

I can't wait to see his Zorba the Greek. Great music for him. Nicole Bobek did a fabulous Zorba.
But "The Godfather?" does he really want to skate to plushenko's freekskate music, the reigning olympic champ, the first year that said champion comes back? The Godfather theme is great music, but does not translate onto the ice that well. I think he could have chosen something better.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Maybe a Godfather program will win again;)

Plush has skated to Zorba in last year tour shows..didnt like it much.

I m curious to see a man skating to it in competitions and the choreo he will have..it is crowd pleasing music I guess, among sonatas and tangos, that would be a change.

Medusa

Record Breaker
SP- Zorba the Greek
LP- The Godfather
Somehow I am not thrilled. I never got the appeal with Zorba the Greek, the only people who know this music are apparently figure skaters and fans. I would even call it overused in figure skating. And The Godfather - bleh....

He isn't just using two overused pieces of music, he is using two overused and highly overrated pieces of music.

At least Scheherazahde is good music.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Somehow I am not thrilled. I never got the appeal with Zorba the Greek, the only people who know this music are apparently figure skaters and fans. I would even call it overused in figure skating. And The Godfather - bleh...
I hadn't realized Zorba had been overused - I couldn't remember seeing it (as my post indicates ;)) and most of what has been listed here is not from recent years. I'm personally not a huge fan but maybe Tomas will make it fun. At the very worst, as seniorita pointed out, it will be a change of pace from the tangos.

The Godfather - at first I liked it because I figured it wouldn't be the Edvin Marton version, so why not. Upon further review, I don't think it's a great choice for Tomas - too serious and heavy.

I wrote earlier on this thread that I'm relying on the French and the Swedes for the interesting music choices, I didn't really expect anything particularly inspiring from Tomas. Worst case scenario - he can always go back to last year's LP, it'll fit right in.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Zorba the Greek, the only people who know this music are apparently figure skaters and fans.

Hey, i dont want to sound biased but you joke???:pZorbas (aka syrtaki) has been overused in gymnastics floor exercise and rhythmic gymnastics since the day i remember myself watching tv..And probably before that also..Its been the warhorse of gymnastics!Has been used in football stadiums to cheer up the crowd(i ve seen it multiple times in champions leaugue for example), classic athletics international competitions to also warm up the crowd, not to mention any other international event that somehow involves greece and they always end up with Zorbas soundtrack like there is no other music from here.:unsure:
For the record I dont like Theodorakis music that much even If I m greek, but this song is like curse, it appears everywhere, like it is the most known thing, people abroad must think that Greeks only drink ouzo,dance syrtaki, eat mousaka, not to mention the polular dessert of GS, baklava!:laugh:
One of the reasons Tomas must have chosen it is that it works the crowds in every continent. Watch out in Olys.

On Topic now : Weir announced Fallen Angel in his twitter..

Last edited:

Final Flight
I'm pretty sure Laura Lepistö is using the same SP as last season (Imagined Oceans by Karl Jenkins). Rumour has it her LP will be a tango, I sure hope not though as that's pretty similar to the Don Juan LP she's had for the past two seasons. She should try something really different, maybe a waltz or some piano music. I think she'd do well with Elgar's Cello Concerto or Sibelius' Valse Triste, plus, in the case of the latter, it's nice to pick music from your home country in an olympic year.

very true, there's something powerfully dark yet romance-ful about her skating or her look. ...or maybe its just her FD look

TtonyV7

On the Ice
We will have see how Rochette choices will play out. Really depends on what Tango selections she is choosing for her SP, but I can only imagine that it's on the more slow, seductive side, hopefully Piazolla's Oblivion.

Her FP is ugh....idk... Samson and Delilah. I was REALLY hoping that she pick Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor instead....

Is Lori N. doing her choreography again this season? Most likely so given the success of her Concerito de Aranjuez last season.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
very true, there's something powerfully dark yet romance-ful about her skating or her look. ...or maybe its just her FD look

I totally agree. I could she her skating to the soundtrack of Atonement, which to my surprise has not been skated to yet...

zandor

On the Ice
Alban Preaubert new programs:

SP: Music from Stanley Kubrick's movie A Clockwork Orange
LP: Rolling Stones medley ("Paint it black", "Angie", "Mannish boy" and "Start me up"):rock:

janetfan

Match Penalty
We will have see how Rochette choices will play out. .

Her FP is ugh....idk... Samson and Delilah. I was REALLY hoping that she pick Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor instead....

For what it is worth, Peggy Fleming won the OGM and WC skating to "Sampson and Delilah." Hope it brings Joannie luck.

And music neither wins or loses medals for skaters. It is about how they skate ;)