Question about Sarah vs. Sasha | Golden Skate

Question about Sarah vs. Sasha

Fossi

Final Flight
I see comments on other boards that make me go: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! So I just need to know. Has a clean Sasha ever defeated a clean Sarah?
I remember '00 Nationals. Sasha won silver on a 3/4 split over Sarah. I always thought Sarah deserved that win. My memory isn't clear. Did Sarah skate clean?
I also thought Sarah should've had silver at Nationals '02.
We all know the results of National '03 (SARAH,SARAH, SARAH). But does anyone remember if a clean Sarah was ever beaten by Cohen?
Thanks so much!

Sarah.....'04 Nationals Champion, I hope.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I don't think that the two have competed against each other that much. One would have to look at SPs (SLC SP for example) to find Sasah besting a clean Sarah, IIRC.

FYI, Sarah fell on the closing 3 Sal at 00 Nats and poped the loop on the earlier 3toe/3loop combo.

Personally, I don't think it matters much at all. Skating clean is part of competing. One has no way of knowing who would have finished ahead if both had skated clean. They didn't, and it finished like it did.

I kinda remember them as alernating one over the other. And for the 2002 Olys, Sarah won over everyone!

Joe

Last edited:

Smiley0884

Rinkside
I thought Sasha had a clear win over Sarah in 2002. Sasha skated with much more conviction, and has better jump technique, spins, and overall presentation.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I kinda remember them as alernating one over the other.

That's a residue of the SashaHype that particularly annoys me. Prior to last season, I once figured out how many times they were at the same competition, and Sarah finished ahead the vast majority of the time. This goes back to GP events in the fall of 00. In fact, IIRC Sarah has finished ahead at every GP event they were in. (And of course, she medaled twice at the GPF -against competition the likes of MK and Irina - before Sasha ever even qualified for that.)

Another example of the misremembering - several times in recent months, I've seen people comment on Sasha's 2nd place finish to Michelle at *03* Nats!!! (Erm, then I wonder why Sarah has the silver medal at her house.)

NorthernLite, the funniest one was when Tatiana Tarasova made that mistake in a well-publicized interview after 2003 Nationals.

Mathman

shine

Record Breaker
Smiley0884 said:
I thought Sasha had a clear win over Sarah in 2002. Sasha skated with much more conviction, and has better jump technique, spins, and overall presentation.
Jump technique, yes- don't know about the spins r the overall presentation. Extension is only one part of the pres mark. And not to mention Sarah had a much better LP choreography (more intricate, spread-out elements, more coherent) and basic skating.

Smiley - I believe the thread is about the number of times one placed higher than the other.:confused:

I do not think it was a discussion about who has more and better technical elements. That discussion could run pages and pages of what's in the eye of the beholder.:rolleye:

Joe :)

Smiley0884

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Smiley - I believe the thread is about the number of times one placed higher than the other.:confused:

I do not think it was a discussion about who has more and better technical elements. That discussion could run pages and pages of what's in the eye of the beholder.:rolleye:

Joe :)

It could only get pages and pages long if people get as snarky as you were to me.

Smiley - Apology is in order. I did not intend to be snarky to you. I was just pointing out the topic of the thread, and without realizing it, I was probably doing it in a snarky way:eek:

BTW, what does snarky mean?:confused:

Joe

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I think snarky is one of those recent combined words...kinda like fugly.
I like the way it feels when you say it... like tiramisu and newt.

Fossi

Final Flight
Newsflash: SASHA flutzes too! :eek:

My records show that Sarah was much more consistent than Sasha. That is one of Sarah's strong points.
How often has Miss Cohen skated clean?
Please Ms.Pixie, think before you post.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Sasha vs. Sarah

I don't have a clear recollection of U.S. Nationals 2000, but I remember that Sasha fell and didn't skate particularly well in the long program, but finished 2nd. She was also almost totally on her flats. I don't remember Sarah's performance, but I do remember there was some talk that Sarah should have finished 2nd.

Both ladies were relatively clean at U.S. Nationals 2002 (no major stumbles or falls) I would have to say that Sasha DID deserve to finish 2nd there. IMO, that LP was Sarah's worst skate of the season. In the wake of Salt Lake, it's easy to forget that Sarah's LP at Nationals was nowhere near the level she hit at the Olympics, both in terms of the program content and her performance level. At Nationals, the program seemed very disjointed and "patched together." I felt that there was a total disconnect with the music -- although that was as much the fault of the choreography as with Sarah's skate. The program went through MAJOR changes between Nationals and the Olympics -- I think they even re-edited the music. There was a lot of talk at the time about how hard it would be for Sarah to change everything in such a short amount of time, but the strategy worked.

I wasn't overly impressed with Sasha's LP at 2002 Nationals either -- too much frontloading and posing. But I thought her overall performance level was much sharper than Sarah's.

Both ladies have been clean in the SP in several competitions. I don't remember Sarah ever finishing ahead of Sasha in those cases.

Smiley0884

Rinkside
When people do this :rolleye: I take it to being snarky, and I was just stating my opinion, therefore I felt like I was being singled out. I also felt my comments were of relevance because they pertain to a comment made by the original poster in the original post. Maybe it's difficult to understand certain people's tone in writing, but that's just how I took it.

SkateCynic

Rinkside
Pixie, Sasha flutzes just as badly as Sarah (and I'm a big fan of Sasha's).

Sarah seems to cheat jumps way more than I have seen Sasha. Both skaters have their good points, and both have their Achille's heels. IMO Sasha has Sarah beat when it comes to polish and presentation. Although Sarah's a lovely skater, I always got a 'juniorish' vibe off her programs, save the LP skate at SLC (which had at least one cheated triple). That night she did shine, and she deserved the Gold she won.

ETA: I always thought 'snark' was a meshing of the phrase "snide remark."

Last edited: