Question about Sarah vs. Sasha | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Question about Sarah vs. Sasha

kappa - Forgive me for saying too much on this thread. I'm now in total check of my impulses and really I am sorry if I ruined it for you.

Joe

April

Rinkside
Rising Idols

Sarah and Sasha are in the same field, rising stars. Now, Sarah won gold, but that does not mean "American Idol". The image of Kwan is so strong that having a gold medal, or not, does not mean you've finally made it. Sasha "beating" Kwan means that she is capable of competing against a world icon. Sasha and Sarah competing is just like Michael Weiss against Goebel. There's not that much fanfare between either rivalries. It really comes down to which skater is more balanced and in tune with their program.

skatepixie

On the Ice
actually, Sasha doesnt always flutz, and when she does its VERY hard to notice w/out replay in slow motion. Sarah on the other hand is very noticible and always does it....

Sasha has actually been clean more....as Sarah has NEVER been clean. Sarah always has flaws in spirals, lutzes, exc.

Sarah has also never given a truly artistic program.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Darn.......

Joesitz/Kappa1,

I just knew this would happen--that is spoiling the outcome of Campbell's before it was televised. I blame this on the networks. Why is there such a long lapse between the dates of the actual event and when it's televised! You wouldn't see that happen with football, baseball, basketball, etc.

Personally, it doesn't bother me a bit to know the outcome of a figureskating competition before I view it. I really feel it's about watching the programs that really interests me. But then, that's just me. If I really didn't want to know the outcome of such events, I would not visit any message boards before it's televised..

So don't feel bad, Joesitz.

Dizzy

euterpe

Medalist
Sarah's high kick leading into the lutz, acts as a "flutz alert". You see the kick and you know a lutz is coming, and you automatically look for that edge change.

That's what makes Sarah's flutz the most egregious.

SkateCynic

Rinkside
skatepixie said:
actually, Sasha doesnt always flutz, and when she does its VERY hard to notice w/out replay in slow motion. Sarah on the other hand is very noticible and always does it....

Sasha has actually been clean more....as Sarah has NEVER been clean. Sarah always has flaws in spirals, lutzes, exc.

That's a joke, right? :rolleye:

Like I said, they both have their weaknesses in their skating. *GASP* Every skater has their strengths and flaws. I have good vision, and Sasha's flutz is clearly visible even without having to go to slo-mo to see it. Why do you think she's using two 3f and got rid of the second 3L?

Sarah has indeed given an artistic program - It won her the Gold at SLC.

Fossi

Final Flight
skatepixie said:

[/QUOTE

Ms.Pixie,
Your post is hilarious! I can't stop laughing! Who is teaching you about skating? You really need to get your $$ back!

patsue47

Rinkside
Skatepixie--I do admire your apparent fandom of Sasha--however you do need to realize that she is not a "flawless" skater--no skater out there in the ranks is. Even Sasha's win at Campbells was not a flawless skate--it's one of the few performances of hers wherein she didn't fall or stumble or make an error in concentration. Just because you love the style and personality of a particular skater doesn't mean you should turn a blind eye on what she/he is doing on the ice or to denigrate another skater.

heyang

Record Breaker
Element by element from ABOVE the feet, Sasha has the better positions.

With regard to technique at the feet, I judge them as equal.

With regards to consistency, I think Sarah has the edge - she seldom splats as compared to Sasha and many others. Consistency has a great deal of credit when most elements are done well (notice - not perfectly).

If Sasha does not fall, then I think she beats Sarah. When Sasha falls, it is a program break and takes away from the program without doubt. Since Sasha hasn't been able to put together 2 splat free programs in a single major competition, Sarah has the overall edge.

In a Sasha vs Sarah battle where both skate well (with inherent flaws) with flow and without any blatant bobbles or splats, I'd give it Sasha. Unfortunately, she hasn't done it yet.

kappa_1

On the Ice
To Joe:

That's ok. As Dizzy said the true pleasure for me will be in watching the performances.

As for the topic at hand - didn't an unclean Sasha beat a injured yet (conservatively) clean Sarah back in that Winter fluff comp last season?

Sasha is totally my fav, but I still like Sarah esp. after seeing her LP at Worlds which was very unclean but still determined. I admired how she fought through it to climb 3 spots into 6th place.
I'd love to see her make a return soon.

I've also gotten to like MK's skating watching old videos over the Summer.

That being said, I can't wait to see (the awfully delayed) Cambells this Sunday.

kappa - I foresee you being so pleased when you see the Campbells.

For the thread: In baseball, there is a stat for hits. No. of times at bat under the No. of times of hits equals the percentage.

How about No.of times in competition under no. of times on podium equals the percentage.; or if you prefer... under no. of times of gold.

Dizzy - How many fans would you say wait for the TV showing of any competition and do not want to know the results? I think it would be a small amount but even one deserves to had the SPOILER advice.

Joe