Eye-Popping / Aye Yi Yi Lessons & Practices 10/12 - 10/18 | Golden Skate

Eye-Popping / Aye Yi Yi Lessons & Practices 10/12 - 10/18

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
It's the start of a great new week and we want to hear all about your wonderful (eye-popping) and not-so-wonderful (aye-yi-yi) lessons and practices.

singerskates

On the Ice
Aye Yi Yi:
Not skating this Sunday because after being bombarded by husbands cold for two weeks I've finally come down with it. HIs was a nasty one. Wait, I should say still is a nasty one. He's not over it yet. All the vege and fruit eating in the world wasn't going to shield me from this one. Another things is that the doc I went to see today at the walkin clinic thinks I have Exercise and allergy induced Asthma. So he gave me some puffers of which, I have to check the banned list to see if these are OK to take and I have to add it to the long medical list that Skate Canada wants for Adult Canadians. Sheesh, paper work just because you get sick.

Here's hoping I feel better for Tuesday's lesson.

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Brig - Aye Yi Yi is right. I'm SO sorry to hear hubby's cold decided to make it a two-fer. Hope you get this out of the way quickly and then develop immunities that keep you safe for the ANs and beyond.

Eye-Aye Cap'n - I got in 31 minutes of "bonus" skating today because my new skates have made their debut! :love: My gorgeous, creme de la creme, amazingly beautiful Super Teris with Phantom Special blades were delivered on Friday. I wasn't going to use up any of my precious pre-Adult Gold test time to break them in (I only have four weeks to pull my act together), but then I got the great idea to pop over to the public skate and give them a whirl. It's been a loooooong time since I had to break in skates, and I was surprised that it went as well as it did, especially since the blades are a different toepick configuration than I'm used to. And these are a half size SMALLER than what I'm used to.

Overall, I was pleased, though nothing feels better than taking the darn things OFF again! :laugh: I'm following the strict break-in rules found on websites like Harlick's, so I've got to log at least 4 more hours in them before I start doing any jumps or spins. All I did at this point was to skate forward (mostly in the CW direction because I came for the second half of the session). I've vowed to take care of these (even bought a boot dryer) so they WON'T look like the poor woebegone pair I'm currently using.

SugarCoated

Rinkside
deffinately eye-popping: yey first time back on ice in 2 months (well being coached neway) and my body was CRAVING it like no1s business. Got my skates sharpened so even gliding was a treat. My new coach (ive been working with her since the summer) is great and she really sees potential in me. My waltzes were really perfect today, really high and the footing was right. my scratch spins got a bit better.

slightly Aye Yi Yi- my edges arent deep at all... plus i was barely pointing today which my coach was going to have my head for. I fell on every single salchow i did. except for one. and i used to be sooo good at them too :(. oh well must work harder. my feet hurt pretty badly when i took them out of my skates, so much so that i felt like i was going to cry which is a big no no. i have a welt on my knee and my left foot is slightly swollen.

but like i say. i wear my bruises like a badge of hard work.

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Sugarcoated - Welcome back to the ice. Two months is a long time, so it sounds like you did well, considering. I think those deep edges are all in the knees.

Eye-popping: Monday is usually my "easier" day on the ice, where I tend to work more on footwork and things. Today's practice was overall delightful, about 1 hour and 20 minutes, and mostly I was alone. I've re-discovered that if I smile while I do my Tigger footwork, it looks a lot peppier. And today one of the coaches shouted out, "HEY! Cool footwork, Cindy!" as I went bouncing past. She's known for her cool moves, so that was high praise indeed. My coach obviously knew what she was doing when she choreographed this little bit. I did my program twice through, but neither was up to where I'd like it to be three weeks out from testing. So you can bet that there will be a concentrated effort to raise my fitness level even more so I can "survive" the program. But I'm pleased with it, and once I can do it with more flair, it will be awesome.

Both my jumps and spins were on today. I even discovered what I've been doing wrong on the back sit--I'm placing my right foot on the changeover in front of the left, rather than a parallel move. The change made a huge difference. Now I just need to repeat it until it becomes a habit.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Ay Yi Yi Yi YI!!!!: Where did my GOOD back outside edge, the left one, go today? Gone, disappeared, on vacation!!!!:mad: :(

Eyes Wide Open: Worked on one foot spins in today's lesson, and I'm starting to really get it, but its a bit scary, I'm just not used to the feeling of it (see my other thread, please). I'll take what I did, though!!! Waltz and salchow were marvy, toe loop attempts scratchy, and then we ran out of time. I think we'll break out the harness one more time for toeloops.

Cinder: You are the footwork QUEEN!!! (Tappity, tappity, tap!)

Sugar: You did great for two months off the ice, that sal will be back in no time.

Singer: Take care of those lungs!! I have asthma too, so I know how you feel. HEAL!!! Doc's orders!!!!
:laugh:

luenatic

On the Ice
Aye Yi Yi: My inside ankles hurt again. :cry: It's my fault. I didn't wear the bunga pads on Sunday. When I went to the rink on Monday it really hurt when I skated. I pad it and pad it and pad it to lessen the pain so I could have my private lesson. Coach is going to regional with her students today that why we moved the lesson to Monday. I hope they do well!!!!

Still working on 1-foot spin. It's getting better but there are still "rooms" for improvement, that's for sure. Coach noticed I started skidding before the 3-turn entrance and she said I never did that before. Found out I need to have my blade sharpened. Oh well. My skate Pro is travelling to Regional this week. Don't remember if she'll be back this weekend or not. Guess I'll have to skid for a while. :)

Eye popping: Not exactly what I'd call eye popping. But I learned "falling leaf"!!! It's fun. And the best part was I got it the first time I tried. Coach asked me to practice the falling leaf while she's gone and we'll start doing "split falling leave" when I get use to the regular falling leaf. :love: Right now, my exercise is to do an inside spread eagle, continue to a RFI 3, falling leaf, end with an inside spread eagle. The goal is to have the falling leaf as a surprise element. It should come out of nowhere. Now, that's a challenge.

Also started to prepare for a split jump. Basically, I need to work on my half flip to get more height out of it. I'll work on it for a while to get the required height then we'll try a split jump. Very exciting indeed.

I'm not afraid of back cross stroke anymore. I'm happy about that. :)

Happy skating everyone.

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
EYE-carumba! :love:

Do you ever have one of those days where you just have so much fun out there that you never want to leave the ice? That's how today's lesson and practice were.

We started with two back scratch spins that were so centered and fast that my coach just kept saying WOW, WOW. Then we moved to some nice forward scratches and then sit spins. We added the back sit and then my nemesis, the camel/sit/back sit and I finally got it! My coach was literally hopping up and down and we were hugging, because I did three of them and I got 4 revolutions on each phase of the spin. Woo hoo! Then she taught me the beginnings of a layback, and I considered my puke-free trials as a good thing! :laugh:

My single camels were a little dicey at first, but then they smoothed out as soon as she told me I was "popping up" in the knee too quickly. Out of the blue she had me do flying camels, and they were surprisingly on (still need to work on straightening the spinning knee).

Then we moved on to jumps. I didn't feel my axels were as good as Friday's, but she kept saying that they were HUGE, so I was all aglow. We worked through my program once and then in 3 different parts, and it was just a RUSH! I think she was surprised at my progress. I have my hubby and his videotaping to thank for that!

We had such a great lesson today, and after she left I skated another hour and they practically had to drag me off the ice. It was AWESOME!!!

Luenatic - Congrats on learning some cool new moves. Your spread eagle/falling leaf/eagle is going to be the envy of the rink!

Yaz - you're making great progress. Better to be able to spin fast and fear it a bit at first than not to get that speed up at all!

blurrysarah

On the Ice
Just one question: What does a falling leaf look like anyway? I know what the split falling leaf looks like because of Michelle Kwan, but I've never seen the falling leaf minus split.

singerskates

On the Ice
Well, after sleeping until 1 pm today, I finally called the pharmacy that filled my perscription. It turns out that there isn't sulfa in it. I also told them the missing thing I was allergic to that I couldn't remember the last time I was there; the sulfa.

It took me until about 4:30 pm or so to get up the courage to take the asthma meds. It sort of helped but I have a long way to go before I'm feeling well enough to skate.

Phoned my coach to tell her the news about the cold, infection and the asthma. My coach forbade to come to the rink to skate and to stay home and rest today. She said if I did come to the rink today, that she wouldn't coach me anymore. She knows I'm severely addicted to skating because I told her about having the ovarian cyst surgery and getting back on the ice a month and half later and then competing just a little over 5 months after surgery where most ladies who have the surgery, don't do anything but light walking for more than 6 to 8 months. She knows, I push myself beyond the beyond. She thinks I was crazy for competing so soon. A month later in April I pulled off a silver in my freeskate and a bronze in my interpretive FS. I've been gaining and gaining in my skills this past month stuggling to breathe. Now I just have to get over the cold and infection and get use to my asthma meds. The preventative makes me feel a bit dizzy but I noticed I could breathe a bit better through the nose and the salbutomol opened up my lungs a bit but with the infection, it might take until tomorrow before I don't have pain in my lungs. I'm hoping
I feel much better tomorrow so I can skate. It was hard to stay home and not skate.

I slept until 1pm today. Everytime I tried to wake up, I'd fall back
asleep. I guess, struggling to breathe really takes it out of you.

Can't wait until the cold and infection are gone.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Today was a lot of fun! I landed a toe-loop! Not just one but a lot of them and they weren't half bad! Yippy! So much fun!!!!

singerskates- make sure to get good and rested before you go skating. If you're sick your body needs rest, the ice will always be there:)

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
dlkksk8fan - CONGRATS on the toe loops! You sound like you're still bouncing along.

Singerskates - sure hope the meds kick in soon and that you're feeling well and back on the ice in no time.

luenatic

On the Ice
blurrysarah said:
Just one question: What does a falling leaf look like anyway? I know what the split falling leaf looks like because of Michelle Kwan, but I've never seen the falling leaf minus split.

A regular falling leaf is very similar to split falling leaf. The take off edge is the same: RBO entrance. It's a half revolution edge jump. The major difference between the two is the "split". Obviously, Michelle does the best split falling leaf with a perfect toe-pointed split. Regular falling leaf doesn't require the split position. So it's kind of like an upside down "Y" in the air.

singerskates

On the Ice
First day back on the ice didn't happen. I had my skates in the van but never took them out. I thought I'd see how I could handle the cold just sitting outside of the rink watching for a few minutes. My lungs weren't ready so the skates stayed in the van and I saved on Ticket Ice costs. I had to go to the rink anyway because we have our coaching fee payments due every month on the 15. So I watched the ticket ice and then most of the 1st club session before leaving to go home. I'm thinking I'll be OK by Friday to skate. Just wasn't ready today. I do feel more alert
and not dizzy or spaced out like yesterday from my asthma medication though.

Well, will you guys share with me what you did on the ice today? What was eye popping and what was Aye Yi YI?

Brigitte

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Aye Yi Yi - I had a so-so skate practice today. Just afterwards I was scheduled to participate in an on-line legal proceeding having to do with a former employee, so my mind was not on the ice. I was concerned that by "not paying attention" I might wind up doing something harmful. And yet I SO wanted to pick up where I'd left off yesterday.

So ... my spins started off crappy. Someone here once said something about the horror of "when camels attack," and my camel spin was definitely off. So was the back sit. I switched to sit and back scratch spins, which were o.k., and then moved to some jumps. But I was not real peppy and somewhat lethargic. I tried the Trigger footwork to "trick" myself that I was happier than I felt. It was only partically successful.

Eye-Opening: Well it wasn't eye-popping, but I then decided to do a program run-through, focusing on RELAXING into the program so I don't hyperventilate. I felt like all of the elements were a bit scratchy and forced, but I met my goal of not making myself crazy during the program. I think it looked better from the outside than it felt from the inside. I then did 5 minutes of endurance skating, which left me sweaty and happier for the day. Tomorrow's my skating day off, so I'm pinning my hopes on several great run-throughs on Friday's session.

(Note to Brig - sorry you weren't quite up to it yet, but good girl for listening to your body and holding off. You'll be back on ice soon.)

blurrysarah

On the Ice
Eye-popping: Jumps were quite satisfying today. Every loop jump worked, did one huge toe loop that felt like I was flying. It seems I either have good jumping sessions, or good spinning sessions. Today was the jumping session I'm afraid.

Aye Yi Yi: Scratch spin, ergh. Scratchy and slow and travelly. I think I was tired by that time in the session. Coach wanted me to try a camel and a sit spin, but if my basic scratch spin is off, there's just no point. Another irritating little element, the LBO3 turn. Every turn that involves turning to the right - takes me ages to master. RBO3, LFO3, RFI3, all came instantly. RFO3 took me longer than the LFO3, LFI3 is always a battle, and LBO3, well, I fell backwards onto my butt trying it, enough said.

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Aye yi yi - I skated yesterday for an hour and a half. On the one hand, I wasn't as "gung ho" as I had planned, probably because I STILL have not been able to do one clean run-through of my program.

Eye-popping - On the other hand, the first one was complete except for my axel (I would have run into some people), and while elements were scratchy and not as polished as they are when I do them individually, I think overall it would have passed. My camel/sit/back sit was back and fully rotated (at least 4 in each position). The footwork was Tigger-y, sit spins were great, axel was o.k. but I was sort of tired and stopped doing them after only a couple. My back spin (not in the program) was awesome. Probably got about 10+ really fast revolutions, and all was centered.

Aye yi yi - The second run-through, though, I ran out of steam in the middle, so I was only able to do the first part and the last part, less a small chunk in the middle. Guess that's why I have to keep working on it!

Eye popping - In order to feel better, I made sure I practiced the elements individually (all were fine) and also did my endurance at the end (really not winded at all). I was also better at "calming" myself down during the actual skating.

So now I've just got to convince myself that if the test had been on the line, I would have given myself that last kick in the butt to make sure that I didn't weenie out in any way.

Ai yi Yikes - less than 3 weeks. I can hear the clock ticking!

Lee

Rinkside
Wheeeeeeee!!!! Did my first 3-turn last night! It certainly wasn't pretty and some of the lurching is causing me a wee bit of pain in the back this morning, but I did it.

I also managed going down the length of the ice doing the one side of one of the Prelim Skills exercises (mohawk, rbo, lbo, crossover, L step forward, RFI).

Have learned *what* to do in the forward and back edge exercises but need to get a blade adjustment before I can work more on the backwards stuff -- I'm falling to the inside so badly on the right side, it's pathetic.

When I get the blade fixed the Canasta should go better too.

Stamina is getting better -- I stayed on the ice for over 1 1/2 hours last night and got off only because Brat Son (younger than Brat Daughter) is working as a rinkrat and kept hounding me for food -- momma skaters must still take care of the wee ones, it appears, even if said wee ones ARE old enough to make their own sandwiches and take them to work...yes, I'm a marshmallow...

Monday will be the first Monday session I've been able to attend this year -- looking forward to it. I LOVE the Fridays after a week of teaching. I get out of the school as soon as the buses leave and it's just very cathartic and relaxing to get on the ice and focus on me. I'm REALLY glad I've done this...

:D

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Lee-
I'm having problems with holding the back left outside edge and am falling to the inside edge. When you mentioned adjusting the blade that could be what my problem is. I'll have to have my blades checked too.

This week I got to skate twice. On Friday I went to what is called the "coffee" club, which is really just a adult session. The instructor comes up to us individually and will work on something that you need working on (which for me is everything!). Anyway got her to look at my entry to my spins which were all wrong. Now I am entering my spins correctly and I am able to get my spin centered a lot better. :)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Skipped skating on Thursday--coach has a neuroma on the bottom of one foot and was getting it treated. After a stressful few weeks (details will follow at some point) I decided to sleep in, which was a good move.

Today was my make-up lesson and it was the best skate I've had in ages. We worked on one foot spins, took it to the next level, learning to bend, bring it around and then rise up, and of course, there went the revs as I was learning to revise it. The thing that struck me most was, on my first try with a deep skating leg knee bend then coming up I lost my balance and nearly went over backward. That really rattled me, but I took a few deep breaths and got it back together and was able to go one. I lost revs, but according to my coach, they were still by best one foot spins every, technique -wise. The best thing was, my energy level was finally back to normal.

We also worked on spirals, and I think finally have the "lock and load" :p position down. I FINALLY did a few without a bent free leg, and it seems I still get better extension on left spirals. Did my first left backward, and it was better than the right that we practiced earlier. Major good day for energy and technique.

Best of all, my hubby's coach's daughter placed 6th in Senior Ladies at South Atlantics, her best finish ever. She's second alternate for Easterns, and we're all thrilled for her. Whoo hoo!!!! :)