Naomi Nari Nam! | Golden Skate

Naomi Nari Nam!

Thanks for the post, Lil. That was a pretty strong field, with Amber and Felicia in the group. The All Year Figure Skating Club seems to be the dominant force in that region.

BTW, I see one competitor is from Glacier Falls. Is that Glacier Falls, Montana? I lived there once, briefly. But that wouldn't be the Southwest Region. (?)

So, what does Naomi have to do next to qualify for Nationals?

Mathman

Fossi

Final Flight
Good for her! I'll never forget the image of that cute little girl spinning so fast! Or bumping her head. Such a bundle of energy! I love this girl. Come on back and win yourself a medal NNN!!! We love you.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I believe, but don't quote me on this, that the top finishers at regionals go to sectionals, then the tops at sectionals go to nationals. I don't know how many from each competition move on, though.

icenut84

Final Flight
tharrtell said:
I believe, but don't quote me on this, that the top finishers at regionals go to sectionals, then the tops at sectionals go to nationals. I don't know how many from each competition move on, though.

I'm not American but I think I know this. :) I think I remember reading somewhere that the top 4 from regionals go to sectionals, and the top 4 from sectionals go to nationals. Anyone know if I'm right? I think I am.

If one gets an international competition such as Angela and Johnny did, does that make them automatically ok for Nats?

Joe

megsk8z

On the Ice
Glacier Falls

Glacier Falls FSC is based in Anaheim, California. I used to skate there about 30 years ago. They're a pretty competitive club.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Joe,

Very few buys to Nats, and I believe they are getting stricter. My understanding is that top 6 from previous year's nationals get buys to the current year. However, I don't know how that works when a skater is at an international competition, but still needs to qualify. Maybe they have an opportunity to skate in a different region than their own? Or a buy to sectionals? All pure speculation on my part, but I do remember reading that buys into nationals were getting harder and harder to get. I believe they are even cutting down on injury buys.

Edited to add: It looks like NNN won the free skate too - ahead of Corwin and Beck. Congratulations to her. Was anyone there? How'd she skate?

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Angela got a bye to sectionals because of the schedule conflict with Finlandia. Unless she has another event at the same time as sectionals, she will have to compete and finish in the top 4 to pass on to Nats.

euterpe

Medalist
Angela wasn't nearly ready for Finlandia. She had just started practicing jumps two weeks before that competition. At Finlandia, she did mostly doubles and a single axel.

If she had gone to Regionals, she couldn't possibly have finished in the top 4, with those limited jumps, so it was smart on her part to accept Finlandia and get a bye to Sectionals. But----she has exactly 4 weeks to get her jumps in order for Sectionals. That isn't much time, and I'd say she is up against it.
:cry:

Bynx

On the Ice
euterpe said:

If she had gone to Regionals, she couldn't possibly have finished in the top 4, with those limited jumps, so it was smart on her part to accept Finlandia and get a bye to Sectionals. But----she has exactly 4 weeks to get her jumps in order for Sectionals. That isn't much time, and I'd say she is up against it.
:cry:

ITA!

She's still feeling the affects from not being able to train as much has she could've because of the shoulder surgery. I really hope Angela can get it together!

Dave Amorde

Rinkside
Because Amber Corwin has an assignment conflict, she will receive a bye from Sectionals. Therefore, the top five from SWP Regionals will advance. I believe Angela could have easily done this.
I have seen all of Naomi's outings so far this season, and she has steadily improved. She is extremely powerful, though her jump content has been somewhat erratic. However, her strategy (in general) has been to not attempt anything even remotely problematic. Whether or not that strategy will continue at Nationals is anybody's guess. I fully expect her to breeze through Sectionals, and given her rate of improvement, I am excited about her chances for a podium spot in Atlanta.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks lil_icesk8er915, :)

It's good to see NNN make a comeback......still have all her performances on tape.......right up to the "Evening W/Champions" show that was televised a couple of yrs. ago. Btw, out of all the skaters I have seen since Oksana Baiul, NNN is the only one that has ever reminded me of Oksana in terms of spark, effervescence, vivaciousness, et al........which too many people take for granted IMHO.......this is a rare quality, something that one has to be born with, not learned. Innate. Anyhow, she has it. JMHO.

***Note: have to admit that a number of yrs. ago, over on the old FSW, I was all for NNN switching to Korea & thus being able to compete in the Olympics. My hat goes off to her for not taking the easy route - Wow, what a fighter! GOOOOOOO NNN! :love: ***

Peace & Love, Nadine

"a dream is a wish your heart makes..."

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Good for Naomi and congrats to her! And congrats to Amber too while we are talking about the results from this weekend. Sounds like it was a good competition. I hope to see those gals at Nats in January! :D

And my heart ACHES for Angela to have a successful season. Come on girl, I know you can do it! :love: :D :) ;)