Thread: Funny interview with Oda

I saw it a couple of days ago. It's a fun interview, and Nobu comes across as a thoughtful, funny, and very likeable guy.

I really liked his answer as to whether or not his low PCS at some events this past season had been unjustified:
    I don’t think it was. Because my goal of the season was to land a quad, I prepared the program so it would feature the quad, which worked! But I thought it was inevitable I would get lower PCS and I have to accept that it was justified. So I have to work on improving the PCS for next season!
    That's honest, and I like that he was willing to make the effort to get a consistent quad, even if it was costly in the short term. Throughout the interview it was obvious that Nobu wasn't giving stock answers.

And he wants to become a school teacher after he retires! Now that is very nice.

Rinkside

4-3-3 in Eric Bonpare

He just landed one quad and saying to do 4-3-3

Sounds very strange?

Besides, he looked very good person.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by younggrass View Post

Sounds very strange?

Besides, he looked very good person.
    Welcome to Goldenskate, younggrass! I agree with you... but he's young and bouncy so who knows?

Somehow I don't think a funny FP is a ticket to the Olympic podium so I wish he'd change his mind about that - but the audience will love it.

Is it just me or are all Japanese skaters, including Nobu, polite, humble, disciplined, and honest? I find them so admirable.

And now a special message for Nobu: Come over to my house any time. (I'm a middle-aged woman and I'm ready to be bewitched.)

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Well as far as I can remeber he only went for one quad, so his sucess rate is 1 for 1. pretty impressive. and that quad was REALLY impressive

Sounds very strange?
    Well, he is know to land incredible 4-3-3 in practise, so I guess it's not too unrealistic.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    When ever I look Oda I just see this bubbly child. I found it so cute when he was team japan captain and Miki called him grandpa. But after reading this article, he is very mature. I wish him the best and I'm really glad he likes his coaching arrangement. I really like the article thanks.

And he wants to become a school teacher after he retires! Now that is very nice.

Aw ...

Rinkside
    SPUN SILVER, Thank you for welcoming me.
    Since my English is no so good, I hesitated to join this forum.
    But posting a comment and having some replies was really exciting.

Now I know Oda's 4-3-3 is not impossible so we can expect three 4-3-3 jumpers this season. Plushenko, Kevin and Oda. Other than those three who can we expect this big combination from?

Anyway I can't imagin sexy and macho Oda as same as soft and lylical Brian Joubert.:chorus:

Your English is fine! Besides, what better way to practice than posting on a multinational skating forum? It's like me reading Passion Patinage, and your English is much better than my French.

But no joking about Brian, he can skate in a softer, more lyrical style (e.g. his Worlds EX). So maybe sexy/macho Nobu will work, too!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Well as far as I can remeber he only went for one quad, so his sucess rate is 1 for 1. pretty impressive. and that quad was REALLY impressive
    Not really!

Nebelhorn - no 4T
    Karl Schäfer - 4T fall
    GP JAP - 4T -1.92
    4CC - 4T< and fall
    WM - 4T-3T GREAT
    WTT - 4T fall

He jumped 5 4T in international competitions ... he received one downgrade and fall 3 times ... he had one bad one ... and at worlds, his quad was

Great Teacher Oscilla
    Great interview. Both the questions and the answers were very interesting to read. I was happy that the interviewer seemed to be very knowledgeable and really thought the questions over. Nice to see, especially when many interviewers recently seem to be just a tad bit too much in drama and shock factor, and can be really thoughtless and harsh sometimes.

I liked that the interviewer informed Nobu that Mishin appreciated his skating skills, and that a lot of fans appreciate his skating and think his PCS were too low.

And speaking of PCS, I really liked Nobu's humble attitude concerning his scores. Although I'm of opinion that he really was underscored at Worlds/WTT, it's refreshing and heartwarming to see a skater not throw a hissy fit over scores, but instead concentrate on improving the weak areas.

As for 4-3-3... I think that the moment his 4T becomes consistent, 4-3-3 will not be a trouble. He usually never misses his combos, as long as the first jump is fine (excluding rare freaky collisions with the boards). Since 2007, he never missed his 3A-3T-3L when attempted

Here are some of his 4-3-3s:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pIsEBXCeM
    (practice, see 00:47)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMVBi0w0Vz8
    (warm-up before the LP at NHK)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY_D9YN_quU
    (the most perfect one at practice at Worlds )

ETA: And, of course, being a teacher myself I'm excited to read that Nobu is still planning to pursue this career. It's definitely a rewarding and beautiful job... even if sometimes probably more stressful than competing at Olympics. Still, I hope Nobunari will not retire too early... I think he is just starting to fulfill his potential as a skater. I wouldn't mind if he stayed until Sochi. ( He still looks so young! )
    Last edited by Oscilla; 07-15-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    SPUN SILVER, Thank you for welcoming me.

Now I know Oda's 4-3-3 is not impossible so we can expect three 4-3-3 jumpers this season. Plushenko, Kevin and Oda. Other than those three who can we expect this big combination from? :
    Ryan Bradley was attempting them at the jump part of the Colorado Springs competition recently. And he landed 4t3t quite often this last year. However, I doubt he will get to Worlds or Olympics, given that he is older and that Lysacek,Weir, Mroz, Rippon, and Abbott are all in the running with him for those elusive berths to Worlds & Olympics. However, he does have GP events this year again.