Walter Cronkite - Passed Away... | Golden Skate

Walter Cronkite - Passed Away...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow - talk about a legend! Walter Cronkite was one of the biggest in the world of broadcasting. He broke the news of JFK's assasination and when the Apollo landed on the moon and Neil Armstrong did HIS famous Moonwalk (not the MJ version) Walter Cronkite covered that momentus event as well.

Here are some of his famous moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8Q3cqGs7I

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-cronkite-appreciation18-2009jul18,0,5128038.story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlvEGR1hhk8

:bow:

A sad day indeed....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
"And that's the way it is."

Quite possibly the best journalist the US will ever have... this is the first of the long line of "celebrity deaths" that has me devastated.

heyang

Record Breaker
CBS will be airing a restrospective on Sunday 7pm eastern time.

I just ordered a used copy of his autobiography at www.bn.com. It was just $1.99 + shipping of $3.99 for a like new hardcover.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks for the heads up, Heyang....

I'm incredibly annoyed that MSNBC did a two hour thing right after the news broke and now it's business as usual (aka back to the Michael Jackson drama) seriously, if there was a man to tribute right now it'd be Walter Cronkite. He's a flipping journalist for crying outloud a little nod would be nice (FoxNews broke in with the news then when immediately back to their tribute to the first moon walk...) It really annoys me.

RedHeadSkatingFan

Spectator
I just watched the CBS retrospective, it was well done I felt. Random, but I had a Cairn Terrier grown up named Walter Cronkite, I will miss them both!

heyang

Record Breaker
thanks for the heads up, Heyang....

I'm incredibly annoyed that MSNBC did a two hour thing right after the news broke and now it's business as usual (aka back to the Michael Jackson drama) seriously, if there was a man to tribute right now it'd be Walter Cronkite. He's a flipping journalist for crying outloud a little nod would be nice (FoxNews broke in with the news then when immediately back to their tribute to the first moon walk...) It really annoys me.

I think there's at least a couple of reasons why Uncle Walter doesn't get as much coverage as MJ.

1. He's been off the air for a long time now. Anyone born after 1983 probably doesn't have an awareness of him. He was definitely out of the limelight for a long time now.

2. He died in his 90's vs MJ dying at the young age of 50. Plus, he had been in failing health for a while, whereas MJ's was sudden and unexpected.

3. CBS owned a lot of the rights to his work. Availability to MJ's work was more readilly available.

4. MJ's career covered many genre's - singer, songwriter, producer, personality, scandal - broke the color barrier. Walter had a great career as a journalist and news anchor, but not as flamboyant or as entertaining to recap.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^ sorry, don't care. I think that's the excuse the media uses to sell sensationalism.