My favorite tv show this summer Is... | Golden Skate

My favorite tv show this summer Is...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Okay, the summer doldrums have hit. Not much happening in the Figure Skating world to discuss and tv shows are pretty scarce, however, I have been watching reruns of Road to Avonlea every evening after work and really enjoying this little Canadian program. Of course, it is based on several books by L.M. Montgomery - of Anne of Green Gables fame. The series stars Sarah Polly who is now a director and doing quite well. The reasons I love the show is first it takes place in the turn of the century - love the clothes. The scenery is breathtaking - filmed in beautiful Prince Edward Island. The time is gentler and the acting is terrific - many big name actors and actresses have graced the set.

Here is some info:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098900/

So fellow GS members here is the task - name a show you are watching this summer and why you like it .

Have fun!!

:biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm obsessed with the Food Network's "Chopped" series... loving the new season...

Honestly don't watch a lot of the new shows, watching a lot of reruns of tv shows from generations past (right now I'm reliving my childhood sitcoms... Golden Girls topping the list lol)

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I'm obsessed with the Food Network's "Chopped" series... loving the new season...

Honestly don't watch a lot of the new shows, watching a lot of reruns of tv shows from generations past (right now I'm reliving my childhood sitcoms... Golden Girls topping the list lol)

Me too...I am even going to my Library and checking out old series like "Upstairs Downstairs", "All Creatures Great and Small" and all the great BBC productions. Our library has a wonderful stock of VHS and DVD movies. Best thing - it's free of charge!!!

heyang

Record Breaker
My summer addiction is So You Think You Can Dance. I love watching all the different genres of dance with quality contestants. It's categorized as a reality show, but it's talent/personality contest IMO. I'm glad that the last season of Lost won't begin until the Fall season of SYTYCD is over.

I also watch Chopped and Next Food Network Star, but totally prefer Top Chef over any other cooking reality contest show. Enjoying Top Chef Masters this summer and the new season of TC will begin in 3 weeks or so.

Ladskater - I loved the Anne of Green Gables mini-series. Don't get the Road to Avonlea aired here - just checked the TiVo. I have the mini-series on DVD and watch it every so often. Megan Follows was the perfect 'Anne' IMO. Have you read Budge Wilson's Before Green Gables? She really kept the essence of 'Anne' IMO.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got caught up in Bravo

NYC Prep
The Housewives
The Fashion Show
Top Chef

Also watching

So You Think You Can Dance

Big Brother

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mary's screaming has become so grating that I don't watch religiously any more... it bums me out because I love watching the dance, but I just don't like having to press mute umpteen times in an hour long program.

heyang

Record Breaker
I got caught up in Bravo

NYC Prep
The Housewives
The Fashion Show
Top Chef

Also watching

So You Think You Can Dance

Big Brother

I watched The Fashion Show, too. Definitely not as good as Project Runway, which is starting up soon on Lifetime. Anyway, FS is definitely more wearable vs PR.

Watching BB, as well. This cast has certainly been shaking things up and it's only week 2.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heyang, do you find that there are several good points to the Fashion Show. I almost believe that they could take Project Runway's ratings away. Looking at the cast, I like the fact that Isaac Mizrahi is a designer and looks at the designer's projects with that designing eye. Having Fern Malis as a judge, who could be better? I think I also like how they have audience opinions about the designer's projects. I noticed there were several of the models from Project Runway and also several of the Project Runway contestents at the final showing. The Fashion Show setup is much nicer than Project Runway. I just think that Fashion Show has some very strong points about it. Have you heard if there is going to be another one???

Heyang said:
Definitely not as good as Project Runway
What are your opinions of why you don't think it is as good???

heyang

Record Breaker
Heyang, do you find that there are several good points to the Fashion Show. I almost believe that they could take Project Runway's ratings away. Looking at the cast, I like the fact that Isaac Mizrahi is a designer and looks at the designer's projects with that designing eye. Having Fern Malis as a judge, who could be better? I think I also like how they have audience opinions about the designer's projects. I noticed there were several of the models from Project Runway and also several of the Project Runway contestents at the final showing. The Fashion Show setup is much nicer than Project Runway. I just think that Fashion Show has some very strong points about it. Have you heard if there is going to be another one???

What are your opinions of why you don't think it is as good???

I miss Tim Gunn!!! LOL! One thing I did like about The Fashion Show was that it's supposed to be about making clothes that are wearable, unlike PR where it's more about the collection and look. I just didn't think the challenges were very interesting or as challenging as PR's. I didn't think the casting was done well either.

Editing to add: It still annoys me when designers groan about designing for 'real' women and only want to work with tall skinny models.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Mary's screaming has become so grating that I don't watch religiously any more... it bums me out because I love watching the dance, but I just don't like having to press mute umpteen times in an hour long program.

Same here!!! I have my thumb on the mute button on my remote controll when It's Mary's turn. I wonder how Nigel has not gone deaf sitting next to her. I don't know how he stands it. Ruins the show for me...

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Where would we be without the mute button. I've been watching "The Waltons". Thank goodness for Amazon.com. I started with season 1 and am waiting patiently for the mailman to deliver seasons 6 and 7..........42

John King

Final Flight
CSI:NY, in part because of my admiration for Gary Sinise as an actor, musician, philanthropist and patriot, but also because of the beautiful Greek Goddess Melina Kanakaredes.

backspin

On the Ice
I've been enjoying Royal Pains, which is cleverly written & funny.

I also love Chopped. I've started getting more experimental w/ my cooking from watching those people!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Since I've been suffering from reality burn out - I've missed most of the shows discussed... however I am a total fan of Merlin! I know its campy, corny and doesn't stay true to the mythology at all but I love love love this show... so awesome!

I'm also digging the Philanthopist and interested to see how NBC and the nonprofit community will leverage this very cool concept into social action.