Speculating on Retirements after 2010 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Speculating on Retirements after 2010

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some unmentioned skaters:
I have read that Yannick Ponsero is seriously considering retirement after this upcoming season. I also expect Kevin Van Der Perren (I now see where Buttercup mentioned him ;) ) to retire, as well as Julia Sebestyen and Koffe Berntsson.

Hasn't there also been some hinting at retirement from Yuko Kavaguti? (not from Sasha Smirnov though).

I suspect Ryan Bradley will retire too. Shawn Sawyer may too. Perhaps Cynthia Phaneuf as well. Kimmie Meissner, also.

This is a sad, sad thread. :cry: The selfish side of me is really dreading the end of this upcoming season. :frown:

Last edited:

life684

Final Flight
Some unmentioned skaters:
I have read that Yannick Ponsero is seriously considering retirement after this upcoming season. I also expect Kevin Van Der Perren (I now see where Buttercup mentioned him ;) ) to retire, as well as Julia Sebestyen and Koffe Berntsson.

Hasn't there also been some hinting at retirement from Yuko Kavaguti? (not from Sasha Smirnov though).

I suspect Ryan Bradley will retire too. Shawn Sawyer may too. Perhaps Cynthia Phaneuf as well. Kimmie Meissner, also.

This is a sad, sad thread. :cry: The selfish side of me is really dreading the end of this upcoming season. :frown:

Some of the names you have added made it even more sadder, Ponsero, KVdp, Ryan Bradley.....ummh

KayMil01

On the Ice
Mostly all the skaters I know of and like will be retiring after 2010! it will be sad, indeed. It's gonna be almost a whole new crop of skaters in the 2010-2011 season.

gold12345

Medalist
I could see some of the skaters who we are predicting will retire sticking around a little while longer if/when they see several of the top names retiring. They may see it as a better opportunity to make a World team, win international medals, etc.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Just to compare....

2006: 4/4 gold medalists retire right after the Olympics; of the remaining 8 medalists, two retire (Grushina/Goncharov; Slutskaya) with a third leaving after Worlds (Cohen).

2002: 3/5 gold medalists retire. A fourth retires in the fall (Yagudin). Only one of the remaining seven medalists retire (Fusar-Poli/Margolio)

1998: 4/4 gold medalists retire (Lipisnki all but does, so I'll count it). 3/8 remaining medalists retire (Chen Lu, Woetzel/Steur, Candeloro)

delobelfan30

Rinkside
Pairs- Germans if win gold will retire, if not will stay. Shen/Zhou for sure retiring. Pang/Tong to retire. Zhangs maybe retire, maybe not. Dube/Davison to retire.

Men- Joubert, Lysacek, Weir, Plushenko, for sure are all through. Abbott will retire if he doesnt have a good season.

Dance- Domnina/Shabalin, Delobel/Schoenfelder, Belbin/Agosto all retiring. Virtue/Moir will retire if they win gold.

Ladies- Rochette, Ando, Nakano, Kostner, Meissner to all retire.

younggrass

Rinkside
Reading this thread made me very sad. :cry:What if all those skaters named here retire? I might loose the reason to watch figure skating.

After their retirement, we can expect to see them at the show, can't we?

I'm not sure if it's an appropriate question, but please let me ask. Who do you think we can keep watching as showskaters?

Enthusiast

On the Ice
If B&A don't win Olympic gold, they will stay for another season (if for some reason they are unsuccessful at 2010 Worlds). Linnie would definitely talk them into it. Especially if Domnina and Shabalin retire after beating B&A.

enlight78

Medalist
I also wonder will the new generation be able to jump up to the current level of the retiring skaters or will figure skating level drop over all after this years olympics and worlds.

cosmos

On the Ice
She has said so.
If she wins she will have nothing else to prove. She will be national champ many ties over, World champ and Olympic champ.
If she dosen't win I really can't see her maintaining that level of skating for 4 more years, taking into account all her injuries.

YuNa said so 2 or 3 years ago when she was not so popular. But, now, everything is different. She skates in a far better condition. Actually, she never said so again. So, I am not sure she still plans to retire after 2010.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Kostner once said she wants to skate for other seasons ahead (assuming that she wants to skate for more than this season only)
Others says she will retire, instead.

My humble hopinion is that, whether she medals in Vancouver, she may take it in serious consideration.

We should consider how hard is for an athlet to maintain his/her regular life. They're always postponing studies, time with family/friends/boy-girl friends - husbands, wives .. it's all postponed to skating. Some of them live on the other side of the planet. It's not easy at all. After a good amount of years on the top (Kostner and Ando, for example, are top skaters ever since they medaled at Junior Worlds in 2003) this can become harder and harder to handle as time goes by, even if medals come.

All the other Kostner's fans will disagree with me, but if she medals in Vancouver she may consider herself more than satisfied with what she did and think about retiring and have a life beyond skating.

If she does not medal, she may think about another season or two, but continue to Sochi will be very hard - it means another 4 years skating at very high levels.

I think it's not about how old are you (Kostner will be 27 in 2014), it's about how long have you been on the very top of the field- as a conseguence, how long have you been training extra-hard to keep yourself on that top.

delobelfan30

Rinkside
If B&A don't win Olympic gold, they will stay for another season (if for some reason they are unsuccessful at 2010 Worlds). Linnie would definitely talk them into it. Especially if Domnina and Shabalin retire after beating B&A.

I doubt it. They have stated for years they want to finish in 2010. Their chances to win a big title wouldnt increase in the future with younger teams like Virtue/Moir, Davis/White around. They are definitely done after 2010.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I doubt it. They have stated for years they want to finish in 2010. Their chances to win a big title wouldnt increase in the future with younger teams like Virtue/Moir, Davis/White around. They are definitely done after 2010.

That's right. And that is what made their Worlds 2009 so disappointing. They knew it was probably their last worlds. So you can pretty much say they will never be world champions.

delobelfan30

Rinkside
That's right. And that is what made their Worlds 2009 so disappointing. They knew it was probably their last worlds. So you can pretty much say they will never be world champions.

Well I thought they should have won, and Davis/White should have been on the podium. Domnina/Shabalin and Virtue/Moir were both overscored for what they produced on the ice at the recent Worlds. It is dance though, what can you do really.

Enthusiast

On the Ice

I thought of that possibility too, although i just have a feeling Linnie will really push them to go on once Domnina and Shabalin are out of her hands. She urged L&A to continue on to the 06 Olympics and Denkova & Staviiski for 2010 but they already won world titles so they just retired. B&A haven't and if they lose the Olympic gold will most likely go to Worlds that year.

also I've heard V&M don't want to stay around long.

jayjayjayyy

Rinkside
YuNa said so 2 or 3 years ago when she was not so popular. But, now, everything is different. She skates in a far better condition. Actually, she never said so again. So, I am not sure she still plans to retire after 2010.

I really hope Yuna will stay competitive even after 2010...

merrybari

Final Flight
Well I thought they should have won, and Davis/White should have been on the podium. Domnina/Shabalin and Virtue/Moir were both overscored for what they produced on the ice at the recent Worlds. It is dance though, what can you do really.

I agree that B/A should've won and the D/W should've medaled. I think they (B/A) will give a world title one more go in 2010 depending perhaps on their Olympic placement. I'm hopeful for their record Nationals title in 2010, too!