Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Speculating on Retirements after 2010

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjayjayyy View Post
    Omg why? WHy do you think Yuna will retire after the 2010?
    She has said so.
    If she wins she will have nothing else to prove. She will be national champ many ties over, World champ and Olympic champ.
    If she dosen't win I really can't see her maintaining that level of skating for 4 more years, taking into account all her injuries.

Tessa and Scott have stated that they want to accomplish their skating goals young so they have time to achieve other things in their life (ex. school, career). If they win gold in 2010 I can see them hanging up their blades.

I think Jessica and Bryce will retire. I can see Joannie sticking around for maybe one more year to beat the Canadian record for Senior titles held by Jennifer Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    At 2003 Worlds, Joubert was in his second senior season, and had already won two Euros medals and a GP (Skate America).

Lambiel was in his third senior season and second Worlds, but it would take him another two years to win a medal at an ISU championship: his 2005 win at Worlds was his first medal of any color at Euros/Worlds. Fun fact: Stephane first appeared at a World Championship in 1997, when he skated in the gala as the Swiss novice champion. The clip can be found online and is worth tracking down just to see how good he was even at that age.
    We, in the US did not see Euros often and did not know of Joubert and Lambiel winning or placing in competitions. Beg pardon, but I should have said that I had not seen (or even heard of them) prior to 2003 Worlds. Where that whole competition was about Plushenko and Goebel and their quads, there was little buzz in DC about Brian and Stephane except among the Europeans whom I happened to sit by. Stephane won me over with his SP at that event.

Re D/W and V/M, they will not retire in 2010 except maybe if Scott and Tessa win the OGM. Meryl and Charlie will have to stay in because they won't get on the podium at Worlds/Olys until B/A retire.
    IMO, the two teams are very special, and I can't wait to clear the air with the obvious podium at the Olys. I hope these kids battle it out in Bern.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    We, in the US did not see Euros often and did not know of Joubert and Lambiel winning or placing in competitions. Beg pardon, but I should have said that I had not seen (or even heard of them) prior to 2003 Worlds. Where that whole competition was about Plushenko and Goebel and their quads, there was little buzz in DC about Brian and Stephane except among the Europeans whom I happened to sit by. Stephane won me over with his SP at that event.
    Oh, I see what you mean. I thought Joubert might have gotten noticed because of the win at 2002 Skate America (the one in which Yagudin had to WD after the short). You have to look up Stephane at 1997 Worlds - it's adorable.

IMO, the two teams are very special, and I can't wait to clear the air with the obvious podium at the Olys. I hope these kids battle it out in Bern.
    2011 Euros will be in Bern. Worlds will be in Nagano that year so assuming D/W and V/M stay, that's where they'll be competing.

Great Teacher Oscilla
    Baring unforeseen circumstances, Mao will certainly stay at least until Sochi. She spoke many times about her plans for the future and she has very specific plans for the next 4 years. Also, both het and TAT spoke that one of their goals is to find such a training regime that would result in a body not susceptible to injuries, and possibly attend the next Olympics after Sochi (though, of course, plans can change over the course of the next few years).

YuNa - she spoke a few times after possibly retiring after Olys, but somehow I can't see the Korean Federation allowing her to do so. Figure skating is big in Korea, but if YuNa retires, there's no one to fill the void.

She will be national champ many ties over
    Funnily enough, she hasn't competed at Nats at all in the recent seasons. Though, of course, the Korean Fed granted her the title of Korean Champion anyway.

Miki - somehow it's hard to imagine her retiring, recently she seems more happy and motivated than ever. But, of course, there's the question of her recurring injuries and the doubtful 'pleasure' of training and competing while in pain. Also, recently she seemed to be quite enthusiastic about becoming a figure skating coach. I could see ehr becoming Morozov's assistant and/or a coach at Chuukyo University.

Daisuke - I think it will depend on the results from this season. He might stay around for a bit more if he's able to fully recover from his injury.

Nobunari - fans worry that he might retire after Vancouver, as he mentioned many times that he wants to finish school, work as a teacher and create a family. However, Nobu said that nothing's written in stone yet and he'll make a decision after Olys, after discussing the matter with his coach Nikolai Morozov.

Fumie - I think she'll retire for sure. She mentioned a few times that she wished she had retired after last Olys... Her last season was very successful, placing 2nd at Nats and making the Worlds team. I think that whatever happens this season she should be happy with her career.

Yukari, Akiko - I thought they might want to retire as welll... But with Fumie and (possibly) Miki retiring, their chances to make the Words team next season become much better. So, who knows?

Alissa, Bebe - I think they'll retire.

Evan, Johnny - I have a feeling that they might to call it a day as well.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Some unmentioned skaters:
    I have read that Yannick Ponsero is seriously considering retirement after this upcoming season. I also expect Kevin Van Der Perren (I now see where Buttercup mentioned him ) to retire, as well as Julia Sebestyen and Koffe Berntsson.

Hasn't there also been some hinting at retirement from Yuko Kavaguti? (not from Sasha Smirnov though).

I suspect Ryan Bradley will retire too. Shawn Sawyer may too. Perhaps Cynthia Phaneuf as well. Kimmie Meissner, also.

This is a sad, sad thread. The selfish side of me is really dreading the end of this upcoming season.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 07-19-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    This is a sad, sad thread. The selfish side of me is really dreading the end of this upcoming season.
    Word.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Some unmentioned skaters:
    I have read that Yannick Ponsero is seriously considering retirement after this upcoming season. I also expect Kevin Van Der Perren (I now see where Buttercup mentioned him ) to retire, as well as Julia Sebestyen and Koffe Berntsson.

Hasn't there also been some hinting at retirement from Yuko Kavaguti? (not from Sasha Smirnov though).

I suspect Ryan Bradley will retire too. Shawn Sawyer may too. Perhaps Cynthia Phaneuf as well. Kimmie Meissner, also.

Some of the names you have added made it even more sadder, Ponsero, KVdp, Ryan Bradley.....ummh

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by life684 View Post
    Some of the names you have added made it even more sadder, Ponsero, KVdp, Ryan Bradley.....ummh
    Seems like there would be a huge void in my heart come 2010-2011.

Custom Title
    Mostly all the skaters I know of and like will be retiring after 2010! it will be sad, indeed. It's gonna be almost a whole new crop of skaters in the 2010-2011 season.

Custom Title
    I could see some of the skaters who we are predicting will retire sticking around a little while longer if/when they see several of the top names retiring. They may see it as a better opportunity to make a World team, win international medals, etc.

Custom Title
    Just to compare....

2006: 4/4 gold medalists retire right after the Olympics; of the remaining 8 medalists, two retire (Grushina/Goncharov; Slutskaya) with a third leaving after Worlds (Cohen).

2002: 3/5 gold medalists retire. A fourth retires in the fall (Yagudin). Only one of the remaining seven medalists retire (Fusar-Poli/Margolio)

1998: 4/4 gold medalists retire (Lipisnki all but does, so I'll count it). 3/8 remaining medalists retire (Chen Lu, Woetzel/Steur, Candeloro)

Rinkside
    Pairs- Germans if win gold will retire, if not will stay. Shen/Zhou for sure retiring. Pang/Tong to retire. Zhangs maybe retire, maybe not. Dube/Davison to retire.

Men- Joubert, Lysacek, Weir, Plushenko, for sure are all through. Abbott will retire if he doesnt have a good season.

Dance- Domnina/Shabalin, Delobel/Schoenfelder, Belbin/Agosto all retiring. Virtue/Moir will retire if they win gold.

Ladies- Rochette, Ando, Nakano, Kostner, Meissner to all retire.

Just my hunch, no proof whatever at all,
    I think Poykio and Kostner will retire.

Rinkside
    Reading this thread made me very sad. What if all those skaters named here retire? I might loose the reason to watch figure skating.

After their retirement, we can expect to see them at the show, can't we?

I'm not sure if it's an appropriate question, but please let me ask. Who do you think we can keep watching as showskaters?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast