Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Speculating on Retirements after 2010

Custom Title
    If B&A don't win Olympic gold, they will stay for another season (if for some reason they are unsuccessful at 2010 Worlds). Linnie would definitely talk them into it. Especially if Domnina and Shabalin retire after beating B&A.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I also wonder will the new generation be able to jump up to the current level of the retiring skaters or will figure skating level drop over all after this years olympics and worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    She has said so.
    If she wins she will have nothing else to prove. She will be national champ many ties over, World champ and Olympic champ.
    If she dosen't win I really can't see her maintaining that level of skating for 4 more years, taking into account all her injuries.
    YuNa said so 2 or 3 years ago when she was not so popular. But, now, everything is different. She skates in a far better condition. Actually, she never said so again. So, I am not sure she still plans to retire after 2010.

Kostner once said she wants to skate for other seasons ahead (assuming that she wants to skate for more than this season only)
    Others says she will retire, instead.

My humble hopinion is that, whether she medals in Vancouver, she may take it in serious consideration.

We should consider how hard is for an athlet to maintain his/her regular life. They're always postponing studies, time with family/friends/boy-girl friends - husbands, wives .. it's all postponed to skating. Some of them live on the other side of the planet. It's not easy at all. After a good amount of years on the top (Kostner and Ando, for example, are top skaters ever since they medaled at Junior Worlds in 2003) this can become harder and harder to handle as time goes by, even if medals come.

All the other Kostner's fans will disagree with me, but if she medals in Vancouver she may consider herself more than satisfied with what she did and think about retiring and have a life beyond skating.

If she does not medal, she may think about another season or two, but continue to Sochi will be very hard - it means another 4 years skating at very high levels.

I think it's not about how old are you (Kostner will be 27 in 2014), it's about how long have you been on the very top of the field- as a conseguence, how long have you been training extra-hard to keep yourself on that top.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    If B&A don't win Olympic gold, they will stay for another season (if for some reason they are unsuccessful at 2010 Worlds). Linnie would definitely talk them into it. Especially if Domnina and Shabalin retire after beating B&A.
    I doubt it. They have stated for years they want to finish in 2010. Their chances to win a big title wouldnt increase in the future with younger teams like Virtue/Moir, Davis/White around. They are definitely done after 2010.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delobelfan30 View Post
    I doubt it. They have stated for years they want to finish in 2010. Their chances to win a big title wouldnt increase in the future with younger teams like Virtue/Moir, Davis/White around. They are definitely done after 2010.
    That's right. And that is what made their Worlds 2009 so disappointing. They knew it was probably their last worlds. So you can pretty much say they will never be world champions.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    That's right. And that is what made their Worlds 2009 so disappointing. They knew it was probably their last worlds. So you can pretty much say they will never be world champions.
    Well I thought they should have won, and Davis/White should have been on the podium. Domnina/Shabalin and Virtue/Moir were both overscored for what they produced on the ice at the recent Worlds. It is dance though, what can you do really.

Custom Title
    I thought of that possibility too, although i just have a feeling Linnie will really push them to go on once Domnina and Shabalin are out of her hands. She urged L&A to continue on to the 06 Olympics and Denkova & Staviiski for 2010 but they already won world titles so they just retired. B&A haven't and if they lose the Olympic gold will most likely go to Worlds that year.

also I've heard V&M don't want to stay around long.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    YuNa said so 2 or 3 years ago when she was not so popular. But, now, everything is different. She skates in a far better condition. Actually, she never said so again. So, I am not sure she still plans to retire after 2010.
    I really hope Yuna will stay competitive even after 2010...

Custom Title
    Well I thought they should have won, and Davis/White should have been on the podium. Domnina/Shabalin and Virtue/Moir were both overscored for what they produced on the ice at the recent Worlds. It is dance though, what can you do really.
    I agree that B/A should've won and the D/W should've medaled. I think they (B/A) will give a world title one more go in 2010 depending perhaps on their Olympic placement. I'm hopeful for their record Nationals title in 2010, too!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    thank you cosmos. I was almost sure of her retirement after 2010, but if she didn't repeat her purpose in the past years, maybe we can hope a little.

Custom Title
    Yuna has been pretty vague about her career after 2010. I can see her pursuing acting or music industry and come back for Sochi. Her decision might be affected by how the Korean ladies perform.

Custom Title
    Yu Na is a HUGE star in her own country, and not just in figure skating. Her career opportunities outside skating will be endless if she wins the OGM, and will extend well beyond her own country.

If she wins a medal other than gold, though, it's a tossup whether she will continue eligible skating. She may see another Olympic cycle as a loss of opportunity rather than another shot at the OGM.

Custom Title
    About Yuna:
    It's true that she really may retire after Olympics (or rather 2009-2010 season may be the last for her career). The reason for staying or not staying is not about proving something, but rather the fact that Yuna wanted to live (and enjoy) another kind of life besides the life of a very good skater. So it's not important whether she wins or no the Olympic games.
    However, as she was able to stay healthy this season there is also a possibility, that she will decide to stay as skater for more time. It looks like she will decide it after the Olympics.

I think that from the technical point of view, being only 19 years old (at the Olympics) she is really young to retire at that age keeping in mind that there are much older skaters that are still competitive (like Fumie Suguri, Sarah Meier, etc). However I will be happy by any decision she will take. She doesn't have to prove anything to anyone.

Yuna has been pretty vague about her career after 2010. I can see her pursuing acting or music industry and come back for Sochi. Her decision might be affected by how the Korean ladies perform.
    One of the things, that I want to make clear, is that Yuna stated several times that she WONT do any entertainment career (acting, singing, etc). She has a lot of possibilities besides that.

About Mao Asada:
    I really don't think that Mao will retire. There is just no reason for that. I don't know her very much, but from what I know, she will stay for long time.

I think, in theory, they both can stay until Sochi.

I wish Yu-na would seriously considering staying in, even if she wins OGM (same goes with Mao) although Mao has said that if she doesn't win she can win in Sochi.

I know Yu-na wants a shot at a normal life, although I don't think that will happen in Korea now, BUT, the thing is that the window of opportunity for skating career is small, she'll have the whole rest of her life to pursue other things.

I agree about Yu-na having tons of opportunities. Nike is apparently thinking of doing promotions with Yu-na in North America.

Yu-na has stated though she doesn't want an entertainment career that instead she wants to do skating tours and then coach skating. I also assume go to college.

I hope she at least doesn't give up eligibility, so that she can have her options. I think Yu-na especially could be a huge hit in the States, and could bring the popularity of figure skating, (she's such a pretty girl) up if she stays in. Part of the problem now I suspect is so many of the stars like Kwan retired.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast