Speculating on Retirements after 2010 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Speculating on Retirements after 2010

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
YuNa said so 2 or 3 years ago when she was not so popular. But, now, everything is different. She skates in a far better condition. Actually, she never said so again. So, I am not sure she still plans to retire after 2010.

thank you cosmos. I was almost sure of her retirement after 2010, but if she didn't repeat her purpose in the past years, maybe we can hope a little.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Yuna has been pretty vague about her career after 2010. I can see her pursuing acting or music industry and come back for Sochi. Her decision might be affected by how the Korean ladies perform.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yu Na is a HUGE star in her own country, and not just in figure skating. Her career opportunities outside skating will be endless if she wins the OGM, and will extend well beyond her own country.

If she wins a medal other than gold, though, it's a tossup whether she will continue eligible skating. She may see another Olympic cycle as a loss of opportunity rather than another shot at the OGM.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
About Yuna:
It's true that she really may retire after Olympics (or rather 2009-2010 season may be the last for her career). The reason for staying or not staying is not about proving something, but rather the fact that Yuna wanted to live (and enjoy) another kind of life besides the life of a very good skater. So it's not important whether she wins or no the Olympic games.
However, as she was able to stay healthy this season there is also a possibility, that she will decide to stay as skater for more time. It looks like she will decide it after the Olympics.

I think that from the technical point of view, being only 19 years old (at the Olympics) she is really young to retire at that age keeping in mind that there are much older skaters that are still competitive (like Fumie Suguri, Sarah Meier, etc). However I will be happy by any decision she will take. She doesn't have to prove anything to anyone.

Yuna has been pretty vague about her career after 2010. I can see her pursuing acting or music industry and come back for Sochi. Her decision might be affected by how the Korean ladies perform.
One of the things, that I want to make clear, is that Yuna stated several times that she WONT do any entertainment career (acting, singing, etc). She has a lot of possibilities besides that.

About Mao Asada:
I really don't think that Mao will retire. There is just no reason for that. I don't know her very much, but from what I know, she will stay for long time.

I think, in theory, they both can stay until Sochi.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I wish Yu-na would seriously considering staying in, even if she wins OGM (same goes with Mao) although Mao has said that if she doesn't win she can win in Sochi.

I know Yu-na wants a shot at a normal life, although I don't think that will happen in Korea now, BUT, the thing is that the window of opportunity for skating career is small, she'll have the whole rest of her life to pursue other things.

I agree about Yu-na having tons of opportunities. Nike is apparently thinking of doing promotions with Yu-na in North America.

Yu-na has stated though she doesn't want an entertainment career that instead she wants to do skating tours and then coach skating. I also assume go to college.

I hope she at least doesn't give up eligibility, so that she can have her options. I think Yu-na especially could be a huge hit in the States, and could bring the popularity of figure skating, (she's such a pretty girl) up if she stays in. Part of the problem now I suspect is so many of the stars like Kwan retired.

Kasey

Medalist
Of other skaters, I could see Abbott, Preaubert, Poykio, Didier, pair V/M, both dance D/S and some other "second tier" type skaters retire as well.

szidon

On the Ice

It's not true.

She mentioned that she wanted to perform in ice shows and to coach young skaters after retirement. Actually she quite strongly denied any possibility of being a singer or an actress in a TV talk show in 2008.

YuNa said so 2 or 3 years ago when she was not so popular. But, now, everything is different. She skates in a far better condition. Actually, she never said so again. So, I am not sure she still plans to retire after 2010.

Cosmos is right. Recently Yu-na has avoided mentioning retirement. We must not jump to the conclusion that she would leave amateur competitions right after the Vancouver Olympics.

Last edited:

lise

On the Ice
i don't think Joannie will retire after 2010. She has mentioned on several occasions that she will take it 1 season at a time after 2010, so I can see her sticking around until 2013 to make sure that she's leaving a strong ladies program so we don't go back where were in 1995.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If Yu-na is pain-free I would be surprised if she did retire after Vancover, no matter what the outcome. Sure, if she wins, she will have been there, done that, but really why stop. She could go from champion to legend by hanging around a few more years.

Joannie too. I think she finally hit a grove, and it is not exactly as if she has a lot of competition from her own country. I would like to see her stay on a few more years, and I think she will.

i love to skate

Medalist
i don't think Joannie will retire after 2010. She has mentioned on several occasions that she will take it 1 season at a time after 2010, so I can see her sticking around until 2013 to make sure that she's leaving a strong ladies program so we don't go back where were in 1995.

I agree. I definitely see her staying around for at least one more year so she can break the National Senior Ladies Titles record.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Yu-Na is retiring? Well with her plan to break 215.00 mark yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. But if Mao and Yu-Na retires, then ladies figure skating wouldn't be as interesting as it is now:no::cry:

Mao wouldn't retire I don't think... Even if she gets the gold medal at the OGM. She said it in several interviews that she would want to continue until Sochi!

Yu-Na is so artistically amazing and Mao is technically brilliant!

I hope they won't retire after 2010

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm not sure the name has come up; but does anyone think Ashley Wagner is going to retire after 2010? In interviews she has expressed the wish to attend Georgetown Unversity in Fall 2010. Since we've seen with Emily that combining a high standard university study with figure skating does not work; I'm not sure if we will see a lot more of her after this season...
Personally, I would be devestated if she left the sport after this season; I think she's getting better and better and might have her peak in the next Olympic cycle.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Ashley's future will depend on what type of success she has this season, and if she feels she has more to acomplish and whether it'd be worth it. I commend her for wanting to continue her education.

yunaddiction

Rinkside
I know Yu-na wants a shot at a normal life, although I don't think that will happen in Korea now, BUT, the thing is that the window of opportunity for skating career is small, she'll have the whole rest of her life to pursue other things.

I agree about Yu-na having tons of opportunities. Nike is apparently thinking of doing promotions with Yu-na in North America.

Yu-na has stated though she doesn't want an entertainment career that instead she wants to do skating tours and then coach skating. I also assume go to college.

She definately wants a normal life as she mentioned many times and it is only possible when she stay abroad like Toronto Canada. There is no other way.
So I expect she will continue to skate as far as she can.

jaws12345

Match Penalty

I hope it turns out that way. She is always a strong contender and will be missed much if she leaves.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
Yu-Na is retiring? Well with her plan to break 215.00 mark yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. But if Mao and Yu-Na retires, then ladies figure skating wouldn't be as interesting as it is now:no::cry:

Mao wouldn't retire I don't think... Even if she gets the gold medal at the OGM. She said it in several interviews that she would want to continue until Sochi!

Yu-Na is so artistically amazing and Mao is technically brilliant!

I hope they won't retire after 2010

Even if any one of them does leave competitive skating after the Oly, that doesn't mean they would stay away from competitions forever. There is always such a thing as 'comeback,' and considering their being only 19 and many retired skaters coming back to competitions every 3-4 years, I think it is quite possible they will do the same. I am sure (or hope) that they will still have another Oly and a couple of Worlds in them no matter how they do in Vancouver. Besides, 2013 is the year they graduate from college. Wouldn't they want another run at the Olympics then?

Last edited:

szidon

On the Ice
She definately wants a normal life as she mentioned many times and it is only possible when she stay abroad like Toronto Canada. There is no other way.
So I expect she will continue to skate as far as she can.

How do you know that? Are you YU-Na Kim?

Actually she recently has not mentioned about retirement at all.

russell30

Final Flight
Olympic Gold can do strange things and you can earn a lot of money from it.

Most Olympic champions will turn professional because they have earned the most coveted prize in sport. I know I would retire if I won OL gold.

I can assure you whoever takes gold in vancouver will not go to worlds and turn pro shortly after.

The silver and bronze medalists would stick around for worlds and as with any olympic cycle you will see a lot of retirements from the veterans of the sport.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can assure you whoever takes gold in vancouver will not go to worlds and turn pro shortly after.

The silver and bronze medalists would stick around for worlds and as with any olympic cycle you will see a lot of retirements from the veterans of the sport.

In the recent past, this has happened in ladies' singles:

'92 Olympics: 1) Yamaguchi, 2) Ito, 3) Kerrigan
'92 Worlds: Yamaguchi & Kerrigan competed

'94 Olympics: 1) Baiul, 2) Kerrigan, 3) Chen
'94 Worlds: No Olympic medalists competed

'98 Olympics: 1) Lipinski, 2) Kwan, 3) Chen
'98 Worlds: only Kwan competed

'02 Olympics: 1) Hughes, 2) Slutskaya, 3) Kwan
'02 Worlds: Slutskaya & Kwan competed

'06 Olympics: 1) Arakawa, 2) Cohen, 3) Slutskaya
'06 Worlds: only Cohen competed

So, it's hard to really predict which of the Olympic medalists will attend the following Worlds.