Thread: Which skaters will fill the gap after the 2010 retirements kick in?

Hybrid View

Rinkside

Which skaters will fill the gap after the 2010 retirements kick in?

I've been reading the predictions of various skaters' retirements after the 2010 season and sniffling in advance at the thought of many of my personal faves saying goodby to competition. Who is waiting in the wings to swoop in and rise to the top?

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Having not read the other thread, this is just off the top of my head. In the US in ladies, I would think Alexe Gilles, Angela Maxwell and Christine Musademba (sp?). In mens, Brandon Morz, Stephen Carriere (sp?), Austin Kallakan, Keegan Messing, Daniel O'Shea and Victor Travis. In pairs, I don't see M/B retiring unless they win a medal and/or injury inteferes. I'm drawing a blank on other teams right now. In dance, I would think the Hubbels would stick around and Chock and Zurelin, Samuelson and Bates.

I'm sorry, it's early yet. I may think of more later and I just don't know other countries' skaters well enough to speculate. I could venture some guesses about Canada, but I could be totally off the mark.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Flatt, Leonova, Zhang, Kozuka, Mroz, Rippon, Brezina, Grigoriev, Ten, Lutai, Amodio, possibly Chan, Verner, Abbott, Mukhortova/Trankov (who have often expressed their intent on competing to 2014), McLaughlin/Brubaker, Denney/Barrett, Iliushechkina/Maisuradze, Davis/White, Pechalat/Bourzat, Khokhlova/Novitski, Cappellini/Lanotte, Samuelson/Bates, Chock/Zuerlein, to name a few.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 07-20-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Men
    1) Tomas Verner
    Yes, he's been here for a while, but after 2010, he'll be the leading European guy.
    2) Patrick Chan
    No need to explain why
    3) Florent Amodio
    He'll be making his senior debut and has world champ potential
    4) Denis Ten
    He's got world champ stuff in him too
    5) Takahito Kozuka

Ladies:
    1) Laura Lepistö
    2) Caroline Zhang
    3) Rachel Flatt
    4) Alena Leonova

Pairs:
    1) Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA & Nodari MAISURADZE
    2) Keauna MCLAUGHLIN & Rockne BRUBAKER

Ice-dancing
    1) Virtue & Moir
    2) Davis & White
    3) Cappellini & Lanotte
    4) Rubleva & Shefer

Keegan Messing all the way, baby!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Men:
    Totally agree on Keegan Messing, Toni! And Adam Rippon. Maybe Douglas Razzano. Patrick Chan, Michel Brezina, Florent Amodio, Oda, Kozuka

Ladies
    Rachael Flatt, Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, Angela Maxwell, Kristine Musademba in the US, Leonova, Suzuki, Joshi Helgessen, Ivana REITMAYEROVA, Meite FRA

Dance:
    D&W, Shibutanis (maybe skating for Japan), Samuelson/Bates or Chock/Zuerlein, Khoklova & Novitski, Pechalat/Bourzat, Ralph/Hill

Pairs: Iluschkina/Maisuradze RUS, Castelli/Shnapir USA, Zhangs (I think they will stay in), James/ Bonheur FRA, Takahashi /Tran JPN, Wang&Zhang CHN, Sweigers/Lawrence CAN

Mine will be a bit more vague...

Ladies: For the ladies, it depends on who does end up leaving. If we lose Kim, Asada and Rochette (which, is very doubtful, especially because Kim and Asada are still not "old" and could attempt Sochi) I believe that it will be another age of the Americans. Zhang, Flatt, Nagasu, and Wagner will have a lot of pressure if they continue to improve, while Europeans like Lepisto will be in the game as well. I do think, however, that by Sochi, we will be talking about the rising Russian stars, like Sotnikova and Tuktamisheva, and if they can adapt. Luckily, I also think they will take the place of where Zhang and Flatt are today: the young stars who could potentially steal a medal.

Pairs: I believe that, atleast for a while, the Chinese dominance will slowly fade out, and the unstoppable ones may become Kawaguchi/Smirnov if they remain on the ice, with Murkhotova/Trankov and Volosozhar/Morozov there, but I do think that Duhamel/Bunton actually make a run at the podiums, just as Dube/Davison had, and who I have a really good feeling about. However, I think the American stars will be battling to podium contenders, so we'll see a lot more of McLaughlin/Brubaker and Denney/Barret. Who knows, after the Russian skaters move on, it could be an American era of pairs.

Dance: Honestly, I know it's simplifying things, but just as today theres Domnina/Shabalin and Belbin/Agosto fighting things out for the top spot, Virtue/Moir and Davis/White will take their spots. Although Virtue/Moir have had much more success...Davis/White showed this past season what they could do, and could very well win golds over Virtue/Moir, just as they did at 4CC. However, at any faulter, just as Delobel/Schoenfelder took advantage of mistakes by Dom/Shabs and Bel/Agosto, Pechalat/Bourzat could very well make runs at gold, potentially even a worlds championship. Eyes will definitely remain on teams like Carron/Jost and Crone/Poirier, who I think will began the third rivalry that will come after V/M vs D/W...against hopefully Samuelson/Bates. But time will tell, especially with Chock/Zuerlein and Shibutani/Shibutani coming up!
    Last edited by pista04; 07-21-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Totally agree on Keegan Messing, Toni!

I love watching him skate!