Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Qualifiers?

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar

Olympic Qualifiers?

I'm a little confused as to the rules about how many countries have qualified how many berths. I know that up to a certain amount of berths could be distributed here at Worlds; the rest are reserved for the Nebelhorn Trophy, but I'm not sure if anyone outside the top twelve qualified anything. Does anyone know whether it's top twelve only or they keep going until they hit the magic number:

If they keep going, I believe the pairs berths stand thus:

1. GER
    2. GER
    3. CHN
    4. CHN
    5. CHN
    6. RUS
    7. RUS
    8. RUS
    9. UKR
    10. UKR
    11. CAN
    12. CAN
    13. USA
    14. USA
    15. FRA
    16. GBR

If it's only the top twelve, Britain doesn't qualify, and five spots will be handed out at Nebelhorn.

I'm not sure - it depends on how many places are up for grabs at Nebelhorn.

I would guess that the 16 listed in your post all qualify (Kemp & King have been notified that they have qualified both a place through worlds and passed the BOC rules too). Then another 4 places are up for grabs at Nebelhorn. Presumably National federations have to notify the ISU if they will field the full number of allocated spots at some point to allow skaters further down (like Switzerland and Estonia) if they get bumped up the list?

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Presumably National federations have to notify the ISU if they will field the full number of allocated spots at some point to allow skaters further down (like Switzerland and Estonia) if they get bumped up the list?

Ant
    Actually, one thing I do know is you can't get bumped up with Worlds placement; it's the first 16 spots qualified and that's it. If any of the federations decide not to use the spots, they too are given away at Nebelhorn. Though if the BOC have given the green light(they can be very strict sometimes, so I was worried about that) then the only spot here that's at all iffy is the second Ukraine spot, and the Ukraine doesn't seem to mind sending low-ranked teams; they sent one in the ice dance in 2006. Though I don't think Vanessa James has French citizenship, so she and Bonheur can't use the spot they earned, but I think it likely Canac and Coia will get to go instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    Actually, one thing I do know is you can't get bumped up with Worlds placement; it's the first 16 spots qualified and that's it. If any of the federations decide not to use the spots, they too are given away at Nebelhorn. Though if the BOC have given the green light(they can be very strict sometimes, so I was worried about that) then the only spot here that's at all iffy is the second Ukraine spot, and the Ukraine doesn't seem to mind sending low-ranked teams; they sent one in the ice dance in 2006. Though I don't think Vanessa James has French citizenship, so she and Bonheur can't use the spot they earned, but I think it likely Canac and Coia will get to go instead.
    Yes from memory they said that the BOC standard is no longer top half of the draw at worlds (like it was when Marika and Vitaly had to work hard to coinvince the BOC to let them go despite their 16th place finish) rather:

Singles - 24 or above
    Pairs - 16 or above (Kemp and King clearly through)
    Dance - 19 or above.

EDIT - I think the BOC standard has been dropped more or less to - if you qualify a spot you get to go because the men e.g. will get a chance to go to the Olympics if they finish in the top 5 at Nebelhorn.

Ant

Dance Qualifiers

Someone else already calculated the men's spots; the information is available on IceNetwork.

1. RUS
    2. RUS
    3. RUS
    4. USA
    5. USA
    6. USA
    7. CAN
    8. CAN
    9. FRA
    10. FRA
    11. GBR
    12. GBR
    13. ITA
    14. ITA
    15. ISR
    16. LTU
    17. UKR
    18. JPN
    19. GER

I suspect, however, Britain won't use their second spot, and I'm not sure Lithuania has an eligible team(or could Copely grab citizenship? Anyone have any idea?), so that could be as many as seven spots handed out at the Nebelhorn Trophy.

Ladies Qualifiers

1. KOR
    2. KOR
    3. CAN
    4. CAN
    5. JPN
    6. JPN
    7. JPN
    8. USA
    9. USA
    10. FIN
    11. FIN
    12. RUS
    13. RUS
    14. SUI
    15. SUI
    16. GEO
    17. GEO
    18. ITA
    19. SVK
    20. EST
    21. GER
    22. POL
    23. GBR
    24. TUR

Not certain, however, that Switzerland will care to send a second skater, or if Georgia even has one to send...possibly as many as eight spots initially given at the Nebelhorn Trophy, and since Germany refused to send Dytrt after she failed to make top eight at Europeans in 2006, the first alternate from there should also keep herself prepared.

Someone else already calculated the men's spots; the information is available on IceNetwork.

1. RUS
    2. RUS
    3. RUS
    4. USA
    5. USA
    6. USA
    7. CAN
    8. CAN
    9. FRA
    10. FRA
    11. GBR
    12. GBR
    13. ITA
    14. ITA
    15. ISR
    16. LTU
    17. UKR
    18. JPN
    19. GER

I suspect, however, Britain won't use their second spot, and I'm not sure Lithuania has an eligible team(or could Copely grab citizenship? Anyone have any idea?), so that could be as many as seven spots handed out at the Nebelhorn Trophy.
    Apparently the BOC are allowing a couple who don't meet the criteria by coming in 19 or above at worlds to achieve the score of the 19th place finishers at worlds at teh British Championships and they will be sent.

Given that the judges were corrupt enough to mark T-G&P as they did at this year's championships i have no doubt they'll get teh necessary marks next year.

Ant

1. KOR
    2. KOR
    3. CAN
    4. CAN
    5. JPN
    6. JPN
    7. JPN
    8. USA
    9. USA
    10. FIN
    11. FIN
    12. RUS
    13. RUS
    14. SUI
    15. SUI
    16. GEO
    17. GEO
    18. ITA
    19. SVK
    20. EST
    21. GER
    22. POL
    23. GBR
    24. TUR

Not certain, however, that Switzerland will care to send a second skater, or if Georgia even has one to send...possibly as many as eight spots initially given at the Nebelhorn Trophy, and since Germany refused to send Dytrt after she failed to make top eight at Europeans in 2006, the first alternate from there should also keep herself prepared.
    One spot only for Italy and 2 spots for Georgia which doesn't have any skater besides Elene is the real paradox. I'm so sad for Marchei...

Wait so 7 spots to be handed out for the men at Nelbourn, that makes the odds VERY good in Fedor Andreev's favor!!!

Custom Title

BOA should stop deciding who has the best chance to medal etc, they should sent all the qualified athletes to the games, you never know what a competition and experience gathered from a competition can do to your confidence. I hope they would have learned this from their past mistakes, and stop playing almighty.

As far qualifiers are concerned, i am surprised that russian had the best results, qualifying 16 athletes an 10 teams (who would have thought that result was possible in 2007). US also managed to qualify 10 teams, but 15 athletes.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    Wait so 7 spots to be handed out for the men at Nelbourn, that makes the odds VERY good in Fedor Andreev's favor!!!
    Actually, there are 6 free berths for the guys.

1. JPN
    2. JPN
    3. JPN
    4. USA
    5. USA
    6. USA
    7. CAN
    8. CAN
    9. CZE
    10. CZE
    11. FRA
    12. FRA
    13. ITA
    14. ITA
    15. KAZ
    16. KAZ
    17. RUS
    18. RUS
    19. BEL
    20. ESP
    21. POL
    22. SLO
    23. SWE
    24. UKR

Btw, cloudkicker09, you should consider updating your signature.
    Last edited by siberia82; 07-26-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post

Btw, cloudkicker09, you should consider updating your signature.
    Yeah I know

I am trying to figure out what to say, give me a hand will ya?

STILL 6 olympic breaths up for grabs that is still GOOD and IN FEDOR's favor right I mean its a good thing?

Custom Title
    practising Smetana's Macbeth and the Witches...
    Any idea who KAZ could send, apart from Denis Ten?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicja View Post
    Any idea who KAZ could send, apart from Denis Ten?
    Abzal Rakimgaliev obviously... he finished 14th at this year's 4CC and made the cut for the LP at last year's worlds. He's only sixteen years old and is not as impressive as Ten but has a lot of talent. Unless KAZ has a really picky Olympic comitee I can definetly see him being sent.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    Abzal Rakimgaliev obviously... he finished 14th at this year's 4CC and made the cut for the LP at last year's worlds. He's only sixteen years old and is not as impressive as Ten but has a lot of talent. Unless KAZ has a really picky Olympic comitee I can definetly see him being sent.
    He definitely has talent too, and a completely different style from Ten. I think he did a 3A at 4CC. So I don't think he would completely embarrass himself.

I am also happy for Brezina, During Verner's freeskate I was imagining Brezina, how he probably realised with every jump Verner rotated and landed - that the Olympics will become reality for him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast