Skate Detroit (July 22-25, 2009) | Golden Skate

Skate Detroit (July 22-25, 2009)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Schedule/roster: http://www1.sk8stuff.com/sk8dtw/

Alissa Czisny and Castile/Okolski are scheduled to debut their respective new short programs later today. Hopefully some people who attend this comp. will post their live impressions/reports and, if all goes well, there will be some home videos to share! :)

Some nice, helpful people are sending me unofficial results/scores and I am tweeting them here: http://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks! I hope some reports get out about Alissa's new programs. and Castille and Olkoski for that matter. They have the best programs.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I'm hyper excited!! The season officially began!
Thank you for all the posts/tweets Sylvia:clap:

Thank you Sylvia.

There are enough contestants here for packed house of families and friends to defray any costs to the Detroit Club.

Browsing through the lists, I did not see any single Men of fame, but there are listed a few involved in Pairs.

The Ladies that I know of:

Becky Bereswill
Alissa Czysny
Amanda Dobbs
Taylor Firth (the movie star)
Elene Gedevanishvili.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Ooooo~!!! Can't wait to hear about Alissa's! :3
2009-2010 season here we come!!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Browsing through the lists, I did not see any single Men of fame, but there are listed a few involved in Pairs.

I think Fedor Andreev, Jonathan Cassar, Eliot Halverson and Grant Hochstein are interesting in Senior men, and Ryan Hartley and Timothy LeDuc in Junior men.

Wrlmy

Medalist
By the way, Alissa won the sp scoring 63+!!
I almost wrote her off after worlds, even though I'm her biggest fan, but I have my hopes up again.:biggrin:
Her jumps look higher and better than ever! I'm impressed she looks less hesitant on double axel as well. The program needs some tweaking, and I'm not particularly fond of this version of Zorro. But the footwork section can be quite spectacular if she builds more confidence and really projects.
I'm just so happy and grateful she started off the new season with a clean program, just like she did last year at Liberty. Must be a good sign:rock:

madibe

On the Ice
Your wait is over..here is the link to Alissa's SP at Skate Detroit ..enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RdO1v55P8

Thank you so much for the link! I think Alissa looks great! As the poster said above, her jumps look better than they ever have and it's still early in the season. I can't wait to see the program with good lighting and professional camera work. Anyone know what her GP assignments are?

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Was surprised to see Mukhortova and Trankov in Sylvia's results. Did anyone see their program?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's a nicely detailed Senior Ladies SP highlights report that someone in attendance sent me for posting [I've edited in the scores that were sent to me]. Many thanks to that person for sharing! :)
Here are some notes for some of the senior ladies at Skate Detroit, from memory. I hope these are correct.

Group B:
1. Alissa Czisny [63.93]: 3Z+2T, 3F, 2A. Jumps looked completely secure and confident, best I've ever seen them, and her spins looked even faster than last year. Same gorgeous spirals and a level 3 step sequence. Looks ready for this year.

2. Christina Gao [56.35]: 3Z+2T, 3F, 2A. With GOEs, she got the most points on jumps of anyone in the group. Spins looked good too, but overall quality still looks a little juniorish. Still, probably the best I've seen her skate since EGL regionals 2008.

3. Angela Maxwell [54.56]: 3F, 3T+2T, 2A. The combo was intended to be 3-3, and she did it well in warm up but it didn't happen in the program. The flip was gorgeous, though, and the entire program was skated with attack and confidence. I thought she should have been 2nd.

4. Molly Oberstar [51.43]: 3S+2T, 3R<, 2A.

5. Diane Szmiett CAN [46.98]: 3Z fall, 3F hand down + 2T, 2A. I liked the version of West Side Story that she skated to.

6. Natasha Popova CAN [43.13]: 3S+2T high and nice, 3R landed around curve but clean, 2A. I'd never even heard of her, so it was a pleasant surprise.

7. Rebecca Stern [39.45]: 3Z fall, 3R fall out, 2A.

Random note: Meagan O'Leary popped an axel at the beginning and then put in a double axel later. Her announced score was higher than the official posted one, so I'm thinking they had trouble deciding what to do with this.

Group A:
1. Taylor Firth [52.63]: 3Z fall, 3F+2T, 2A.

2. Amanda Dobbs [50.76]: 3T+2T floaty and easy. It looked like she's definitely got room for triple on the 2nd jump. 2A gorgeous, 2S. Too bad about the double sal, because the program was wonderful, and everything else was really well done. I actually kind of thought she'd beat Firth anyway.

3. Becky Bereswill [49.74]: 3Z+2T nice, 3F fall, 2A. Looked like she didn't hold some spirals and spin positions long enough to get the levels she wanted, so lost a few points that way, but she had the highest components of the group and she looks quite a bit more mature on the ice than last year.

4. Christina-Maria Sperduto [47.24]: 3R+2T, 3S fall, 2A. She was a pleasant surprise; I hadn't seen her skate before. She did a change of edge on her layback.

5. Chelsea Morrow [44.88]: 3T nice, 2S+2T, 2A.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't wait for someone to give us updates on the Senior Men's SP. I need my Fedor fix! :p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I can't wait for someone to give us updates on the Senior Men's SP. I need my Fedor fix! :p
Hi Siberia, haven't seen you here in ages! But I thought Fedor skating might bring you back. Have you been working on your Azerbaijani citizenship request :p?

That's an awful score for M/T. If anyone saw the performance, I'd be interested to know what went wrong.

lmarie086

Medalist
That's an awful score for M/T. If anyone saw the performance, I'd be interested to know what went wrong.

None of the pairs had good scores. Like you, I'm interested to know what happened. Did they all really underperform, or were the judges stingy with the scores? I was really hoping for better from M/T and C/O, they're two of my favorite pairs.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
thanks, Sylvia for the update!

Glad to hear that Alissa skated a clean short. I can't wait to see Zorro myself!