Jennifer Kirk's blog: Now What? The End of an Athlete's Career. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Jennifer Kirk's blog: Now What? The End of an Athlete's Career.

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
Entertainment skating can be worth watching, if it's well-produced, well choreographed and well photograped, but the problem is, that(at least on American T.V.) it's been a long time since it has been done well.
I can't blame the fans of competition skating for being turned off by the sameness of the Disson productions.

For the Disson shows, I think it is only fair to look at the demographics of the targeted audience before passing judgement.

If you took your grandkids to the Kristi Yamaguchi and Friends Disson special last year you got awesome live music by the Jonas Brothers :rock: ::love: :party2:, plus you got to see performances by skaters like Keara Hedican and Adain Hamilton!

Here's Keara and Mom.

http://cdn.ripple6.com/b03f3ca8-a620-410f-b095-cf391c11bc65-326_400.jpg

If that doesn't warm the cockles of your wee heart, I don't know to say. :)

When is the next Muppet Show coming to town? :yes:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's not my style though.

For me, something like this year's SOI- no nonsense, no live bands, no props, just skating.

Not saying using props is bad- if used correctly they can add to a performance- but for me, less is better.

^ That's what I am saying, RD. Since you are not nine years old, you do not have any interest in the Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana.

The Disson shows target families with young children. Folks who do not fall into that demographic enjoy other forms of entertainment instead. YMMD. Something for everyone. That's a good thing.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
There is nothing wrong with only liking competitions.

There is EVERYTHING wrong with the way you patronize everyone on this board and make condescending remarks. We should all bow down to your greater maturity and knowledge of the arts:rolleye: puh-lease.

Ant

:rofl:

:laugh: Joe, I replied to your continuing condescending and patronizing statements - if you wanted the discussion "off the table", you could just stop saying such things. In fact, this discussion has died out several times, only to be started up again by more rude statements from you.

"Rash but apologetic statement"?!? You said that people who like to watch skating shows should get lives instead, then defended your statement several times before declaring that you were only acknowledging you were condescending because another poster deleted his response to you.

You then followed that so-called "apology" by announcing that you have "matured" beyond "kiddie entertainment" like skating shows and now appreciate superior "artforms" instead, suggesting that people who watch shows are immature and unappreciative of the arts. When people respond to that, you cluck your tongue and accuse everyone else of not letting your statements go.

Unbelievable.

Believe it...:rofl:

Joe, you certainly have a way with people... I want to be Joe when I grow up! unapologetically honest, blunt and cranky - so awesome :bow::bow:

But of course, as usual, Mathman's charming ways and positive personality rule the day...:love::love:

^ That's what I am saying, RD. Since you are not nine years old, you do not have any interest in the Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana.

The Disson shows target families with young children. Folks who do not fall into that demographic enjoy other forms of entertainment instead. YMMD. Something for everyone. That's a good thing.