Jennifer Kirk's blog: Now What? The End of an Athlete's Career. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jennifer Kirk's blog: Now What? The End of an Athlete's Career.

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
^^^
I respect what you are saying, but for me, Disson shows all look alike. And those inverviews interspersed with the skating are so contrived. Why should they last on TV? Seen-one-seen-em-all

Read my post (#39). That's exactly what I was saying.

Still, the Disson shows are on TV, while viewer interest in major competitions like the Grand Prix seems to have dropped to zero.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Still, the Disson shows are on TV, while viewer interest in major competitions like the Grand Prix seems to have dropped to zero.

What's more, I believe the ratings for the Disson shows are in the same league as the ratings for Skate America. In other words, there's no additional interest in watching skaters compete vs. watching skaters as entertainment.

I do believe skating is viewed by many as entertainment much more so than sport.

Read my post (#39). That's exactly what I was saying.
Sorry about that. Didn't read your note about Made for the Kiddies.

If there is a lull in competitive skating then get more into your life to fill that gap.

What's more, I believe the ratings for the Disson shows are in the same league as the ratings for Skate America. In other words, there's no additional interest in watching skaters compete vs. watching skaters as entertainment.

I do believe skating is viewed by many as entertainment much more so than sport.
I would hardly call it entertainment if there is no competition. At least Pageants have a winner. :sheesh: Who cares about the Disson Ratings? There is no doubt that Disson shows are kiddie entertainments and who cares if there is no competition? And I agree interest in competitive skating in the US has dropped significantly. The kiddie shows have replaced it. Mumsies and Daddies will have something to keep their kids quiet.

As for watching skaters compete vs. watching skating as kiddie entertainment just means the interest of the opinionator does not have to know the difference between a Fall and an Underrotation.

Last edited:
I would hardly call it entertainment if there is no competition.

What a strange thing to say. I just came back from the theater. There was no competition. But I still felt entertained by the show.

Who cares about the Disson Ratings?

I do. People vote with their remotes. I like Kristi Yamaguchi and Friends the best.

If you don't enjoy these entertainments, OK. Different strokes for different folks.

If there is a lull in competitive skating then get more into your life to fill that gap.

? I'll try. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for cheering for Disson, but I just can't. Tired of the same old camels, same old 3Ts, same old peppy music and all with the same old smiles. There is no variety that I see.

Much prefer 3As, 3x3s which will not be seen in a Disson shows, but will be judged in competitive skating. Betcha more people will watch figure skating from Vancouver where the TV Ratings will zoom past anything Disson got previously including the holiday nonsense.

btw, Thank you but no need for the advice, I haven't seen a disson show on TV since Witt and Her Friends. I am guilty of disliking them glorified.

pippa

Rinkside
will not be seen in a Disson shows, but will be judged in competitive skating. Betcha more people will watch figure skating from Vancouver where the TV Ratings will zoom past anything Disson got previously including the holiday nonsense.

Joe, of course the ratings in Vancouver will be higher than for a Disson show (or for any other skating competition, for that matter). I don't think anyone has ever disputed that skating gets the most attention once every four years at the Olympics. But some people like to watch it other times, too - both in competition and in shows.

It is pretty condescending of you to judge people who enjoy shows by suggesting that they "get more into their lives" instead of watching them. :sheesh: I'm sure you enjoy some forms of entertainment that others do not, but no one is telling you that you need to get more of a life instead of doing so. Perhaps you should refrain from being so judgmental about the lives and pursuits of people you don't know.

It was condescending of me to write that, and I did apologize for saying it. Rash statements are hard to control in the heat.

Would you consider this a condescending statement?

Quote:

It reads to me, that there are no exceptions to his views of skating: One could be satisfied with either competition or seeing an ice show. Just not true for me, and I was not saying anything about doing away with Disson shows, but my sentiments brought about retorts which I believe were unnecessary. I've apologized for my rashness and hope this ends the discussion on Competitive Skating v. Disson Skating.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It was condescending of me to write that, and I did apologize for saying it. Rash statements are hard to control in the heat.

Would you consider this a condescending statement?

Quote:

It reads to me, that there are no exceptions to his views of skating: One could be satisfied with either competition or seeing an ice show. Just not true for me, and I was not saying anything about doing away with Disson shows, but my sentiments brought about retorts which I believe were unnecessary. I've apologized for my rashness and hope this ends the discussion on Competitive Skating v. Disson Skating.

:rolleye: Just say my name.

In any case, I don't see what's wrong with liking both. I will say that I prefer actually attending ice shows to watching them on TV. The only time I watched a Disson show on TV was when they were being shown in HD (I also watched Sarah Hughes' special I think in 2006).

I've never attended a skating competition but I don't think I see myself doing so in the near future (there are other sporting events I haven't been to that I'd like to experience first). However, I do watch the major events on TV. OTOH, ice shows really have to be seen first-hand IMO. they are boring to watch on TV (for the most part) but being there, it's not bad at all.

:rolleye: Just say my name.

In any case, I don't see what's wrong with liking both.
There never was anything wrong with watching them both. I did that 100 years ago. But maturity set in and I found other more interestig Artforms. So I watch competitive skating as a sport. No need for me to watch a condensed version of the tricks in show skating.

My opinon, therefore, was to inject into the discussion of my dislike of Disson shows and not to agree that that they are equal to competitions. Ratings or not. I'm a big boy now and maybe I stand alone. I stand by that!

If there is something wrong with just liking competitions, let me know what.

PS If Disson features Kwan, Browning or Brezina in a show, please let me know. I will watch. I do discriminate for what I consider entertainment.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nothing wrong with liking one of them, or both.

To clarify, my point was to say that skating shows and non-major competitions (like Skate America) get about the same amount of viewers on TV. In other words, in the view of NBC, there's no real business advantage to airing the GP series over the disson shows, especially since IIRC, NBC is paid by Disson to showcase these programs, whereas NBC would have to pay for the rights to show GP events. They probably would not be able to break even if they did the latter. So the skating shows make more money for NBC- that's all they care about in the end

pippa

Rinkside
But maturity set in and I found other more interestig Artforms.

There is nothing wrong with just liking competitions, Joe, nor has anyone suggested that there is.

There is, however, something wrong with suggesting that people who like skating shows are less mature than you are and don't appreciate the "more interesting artforms" that you do in your superior maturity. :rolleye:

I've never attended a skating competition but I don't think I see myself doing so in the near future...

Dawg, you MUST get yourself to a major live competition! There's nothing like it. It will make you throw away your television set -- or sell it for plane tickets. :) :cool:

Sit in the front row so you end up with ice chips in your teeth. :cool: And don't forget to check out the practice sessions. :yes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Dawg, you MUST get yourself to a major live competition! There's nothing like it. It will make you throw away your television set -- or sell it for plane tickets. :) :cool:

Sit in the front row so you end up with ice chips in your teeth. :cool: And don't forget to check out the practice sessions. :yes:

If it's within commuting distance of where I am I *MIGHT* consider it, but I definitely would not fly/stay at a hotel. It would have to be a day trip (like the SOI show I went to- just a train ride down and a train ride back up)

antmanb

Record Breaker
There never was anything wrong with watching them both. I did that 100 years ago. But maturity set in and I found other more interestig Artforms. So I watch competitive skating as a sport. No need for me to watch a condensed version of the tricks in show skating.

My opinon, therefore, was to inject into the discussion of my dislike of Disson shows and not to agree that that they are equal to competitions. Ratings or not. I'm a big boy now and maybe I stand alone. I stand by that!

There is nothing wrong with only liking competitions.

There is EVERYTHING wrong with the way you patronize everyone on this board and make condescending remarks. We should all bow down to your greater maturity and knowledge of the arts:rolleye: puh-lease.

Ant

There is nothing wrong with just liking competitions, Joe, nor has anyone suggested that there is.

There is, however, something wrong with suggesting that people who like skating shows are less mature than you are and don't appreciate the "more interesting artforms" that you do in your superior maturity. :rolleye:
It seems to me that you wish to continue keeping my rash but apologetic statement on the table.

There is nothing wrong with only liking competitions.

There is EVERYTHING wrong with the way you patronize everyone on this board and make condescending remarks. We should all bow down to your greater maturity and knowledge of the arts:rolleye: puh-lease.

Ant
Easy Ant. Your pent up dislikes are showing, and belittling me at least lets the air out.

pippa

Rinkside
It seems to me that you wish to continue keeping my rash but apologetic statement on the table.

:laugh: Joe, I replied to your continuing condescending and patronizing statements - if you wanted the discussion "off the table", you could just stop saying such things. In fact, this discussion has died out several times, only to be started up again by more rude statements from you.

"Rash but apologetic statement"?!? You said that people who like to watch skating shows should get lives instead, then defended your statement several times before declaring that you were only acknowledging you were condescending because another poster deleted his response to you.

You then followed that so-called "apology" by announcing that you have "matured" beyond "kiddie entertainment" like skating shows and now appreciate superior "artforms" instead, suggesting that people who watch shows are immature and unappreciative of the arts. When people respond to that, you cluck your tongue and accuse everyone else of not letting your statements go.

Unbelievable.