Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Kirk's blog: Now What? The End of an Athlete's Career.

Custom Title
    The whole Hughes family is brilliant, they remind me of the Kennedys, and I'm sure whatever Sarah puts her mind to do she will. A brilliant mind!

p.s. Rachael Flatt reminds me a lot of Sarah.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Gosh, you make her sound like an automaton. She's a grown woman!
    Yes, but family pressure and tradition are dictating things. Her parents both have degrees from Cornell, as do her two brothers. Her oldest sister has a degree from Harvard, Emily is presently at Harvard, Sarah has the degree from Yale, and the Youngest sister Taylor(who prefers Hockey!) is expected to follow the family tradition in the near future.

Yes, Sarah is a grown woman and her career should be her decision, but in her situation it is hard to say no. No one(especially Sarah) expected that she would actually win anything at the Olympics. Undoubtedly, Sarah & her family thought that the Olympics would mark the end of her skating days, and that she would then finish high school and go off to her Ivy League studies. She was in 4th place going into the final round in the 2002 Olympics. As she has remarked, she didn't think that she had any chance of winning anything, and that she should just go out there and enjoy herself for the final round of the competition. With that stress-free, nothing to lose attitude, she went at it with everything she had and found herself with an unexpected gold medal.

But her family, with their heavy emphasis on Ivy League education, wanted what THEY wanted, and to a certain extent, it is how she had been programmed. Even before she became an Olympic contender, her family arranged to have her introduced to an early 1950's Olympic gold medalist Ladies figure skater who immediately went on to study to be a doctor, with the idea that this(now elderly) ex-skater should be a role model for Sarah's future.

Anyhow, the bottom line is this: Sarah will be skating in ice show tours for the next three years, finally being permitted to receive some(much deserved) profit from her gold medal. She has this talent. It would be a shame not to use it. She can always study for the law degree later in life.
    Last edited by Phil Cohen; 07-26-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added word

Down With It
    Anyhow, the bottom line is this: Sarah will be skating in ice show tours for the next three years, finally being permitted to receive some(much deserved) profit from her gold medal. She has this talent. It would be a shame not to use it. She can always study for the law degree later in life.
    You seem to know a lot. Is all this actually true? I haven't heard anything from any of the Hughes' (I follow her and Emily on Twitter) that would indicate that she is interested in skating again. In fact, I heard her say somewhere (was it in People?) that she wasn't looking to return to skating any time soon. Besides, I thought she already made plenty of $ and exposure off the Gold, what with all the shows and specials she did in the months after Feb 2002.

In any case, I enjoyed her show pieces (for the most part) after she won that gold. I agree with you though- you can only skate at a certain level for so long, but can learn as long as you live. If it's true she wants to resume skating, I'll look forward to seeing her again.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I have not heard anything about Sarah doing shows again either. She did do one season with Stars on Ice in 2003-4 (i think) and then went to school. I do not get the impression that either one of the Hughes girls are being put through Ivy Leauge schools against their will. They seem to be very smart girls who love academics and want to carry on their family's academic tradition.

On the Ice
    It was stated in some of the media coverage of her Yale graduation that she would resume skating for 3 years(though she had yet to decide whether to ever compete again), and that after 3 years of skating that she planned to go to law school.

Down With It
    well, her competitive days are LONG over. She could do some Disson shows, or maybe participate in the post-Olympic SOI tour though.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Former senator and pro basketball player Bill Bradley once said of retiring from sports, "An athlete has two deaths."

Didn't I read that she put on a few extra pounds and the men in SOI were complaining too heavy to lift? Well, too much weight for solo skating will not win me over either, but then again I do not watch show skating.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Didn't I read that she put on a few extra pounds and the men in SOI were complaining too heavy to lift? Well, too much weight for solo skating will not win me over either, but then again I do not watch show skating.
    Yeah, she was heavy in that SOI tour, but they had three guys lifting her. There could be many reasons for the weight gain, for example:

1.She Grew to her full adult size

2.She was not a naturally thin person, and had been using extreme dieting to remain thin for quite a few years, and she got tired of dieting. Some people on the internet have suggested this. One person said, "Her body decided to be normal"

or(and this is a remote, but real possibility)
    3. She may have been conflicted between a desire to skate and her desire to satisfy her family's Ivy League traditions, and this conflict may have caused her to seek escape through overeating. It should be noted though, that her intellectual and academic abilities are every bit as accomplished as her skating. She was in the top 2% for grades in her high school's 12th grade class. She is very brainy. Her whole family are brainy,highly driven superachievers.There's no doubt about that. The question is what she really wants. Only she knows.

Shoe Diva
    Ever notice how whenever sarah hughes comes up - someone must call this remarkable young woman fat? Isn't it enough that she won the olympics, successfully competed for years at the highest levels, not only gained admittance to a top school but also graduated and by all accounts is a true role model - but the conversation moves to how three men had to pick her up? Maybe they're just wimpy... This weight obsession drives me crazy...

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Ever notice how whenever sarah hughes comes up - someone must call this remarkable young woman fat? Isn't it enough that she won the olympics, successfully competed for years at the highest levels, not only gained admittance to a top school but also graduated and by all accounts is a true role model - but the conversation moves to how three men had to pick her up? Maybe they're just wimpy... This weight obsession drives me crazy...
    If you look at recent pictures of Sarah she's now quite thin.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    But look at the video footage(if you or your friends recorded it) of Sarah Hughes' last full ice show tour("Stars on Ice") where she was indeed quite overweight. And she was indeed lifted by three men. Or you can see the still photos at www.scratchspin.com

By the way, here's another trivia note: after the U.S.A. tour dates, she dropped out of the tour, not participating in the Canadian dates, which is quite ironic, because she's a first generation Canadian-American. She was only permitted one semester off from her university studies, and was packed off back to Yale.
    She was replaced(for the Canadian tour dates) by Shae-Lynn Bourne.

On Ms. Hughes' last(to date) televised skating appearance(in the "Sarah Hughes & Friends" T.V. special), after participating in the initial ensemble number, she was not seen again(aside from off-ice New York City sightseeing footage) until the halfway point in a 2 hour show, and her two solo numbers featured no jumps whatsoever, because,presumably she was too far out of shape to do them. It was a rather sad way for her performing career to end.....but now(apparently) it's not going to be the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cohen View Post
    But look at the video footage(if you or your friends recorded it) of Sarah Hughes' last full ice show tour("Stars on Ice") where she was indeed quite overweight. And she was indeed lifted by three men. Or you can see the still photos at www.scratchspin.com
    Ughhh, she was NOT overweight! She developed into a HEALTHY women's body with breasts and hips. The normal skater's body is not healthy and should not be held up as the "ideal". Sarah looks amazing here
    http://www.scratchspin.com/2005/hughes05/0508492.jpg

And people wonder why skaters struggle with body image issues and eating disorders

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Ughhh, she was NOT overweight! She developed into a HEALTHY women's body with breasts and hips.
    Her breasts & hips are not the issue. It's her legs that appeared overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cohen View Post
    Her breasts & hips are not the issue. It's her legs that appeared overweight.
    Are her legs bigger compared to her amateur skating days? Sure. Are they overweight? Absolutely not. She was two years removed from elite training, probably having the time of her life in University and getting back on the ice for a fun skating show. She looks happy and healthy in those pictures so that is all the matters.

I think you need to redefine your definition of overweight.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast