Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Kirk's blog: Now What? The End of an Athlete's Career.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Ever notice how whenever sarah hughes comes up - someone must call this remarkable young woman fat? Isn't it enough that she won the olympics, successfully competed for years at the highest levels, not only gained admittance to a top school but also graduated and by all accounts is a true role model - but the conversation moves to how three men had to pick her up? Maybe they're just wimpy... This weight obsession drives me crazy...
    Very well said!

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I just saw pictures of Sarah graduating from Yale. She looks great and happy. Really nice to see. I'm curious to see what she will do next. Does anybody know?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I just saw pictures of Sarah graduating from Yale. She looks great and happy. Really nice to see. I'm curious to see what she will do next. Does anybody know?
    In press coverage of her Yale graduation, it said that she would skate for 3 years, probably as a professional, then she would enter law school.

I really do not see the fuss over Emily. She is most likely an excellent academic but that does not mean she is an excellent skater. She has made in the past, a number of URs and absolutely no transitions into her toe-jumps. What else can we say about her on the plus side? Spins, footwork, etc, all ok, but quite ordinary.

I can't imagine Disson looking to hire her. She is not entertaining to draw viewers into the arenas or turn to on the TV channels, imo. Let us see what she can do at Eastern Sectionals. If she skates well, I will be the first to welcome her at US Nats, where at the moment I am looking forward to seeing: Caroline; Rachael; Mirai; Kimmie; Wagner, Czisny and, of course, Sasha.

There is a vacant Ladies GP spot at SA. I think our up-and coming skaters Gilles or Bereswill should get that spot

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Are her legs bigger compared to her amateur skating days? Sure. Are they overweight? Absolutely not. She was two years removed from elite training, probably having the time of her life in University and getting back on the ice for a fun skating show. She looks happy and healthy in those pictures so that is all the matters.
    Agreed.

Anyway, she is FAR from it now. Take a look here:

http://twitpic.com/9ulkv/full

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I can't imagine Disson looking to hire [Emily Hughes]. She is not entertaining to draw viewers into the arenas or turn to on the TV channels, imo. Let us see what she can do at Eastern Sectionals. If she skates well, I will be the first to welcome her at US Nats, where at the moment I am looking forward to seeing: Caroline; Rachael; Mirai; Kimmie; Wagner, Czisny and, of course, Sasha.
    She may not be a Czisny or a Yuna Kim in terms of skating talent but I liked her show performances. she knew how to entertain an audience imo. Even if it's just random appearances in shows, I'd welcome her back (same with her sister BTW). But it's obvious that she (Em) wants to try for the Olys again by taking a year off. The national competition has gotten quite fierce and I think that even at her best, her chances would have been great 3 or 4 years ago, but not so much now. That said, she has experience that the other young girls (save Kimmie) don't have and that could play to her advantage in terms of pre-qualifying nerves.
    Last edited by R.D.; 07-31-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: clarify quote

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Agreed.

Anyway, she is FAR from it now. Take a look here:

http://twitpic.com/9ulkv/full
    Agreed. In that photo, she could almost pass for Emily!

since I do not follow 'show' skating unless there is nothing more on TV for me to watch. . I like competitions between individuals (Golf,Tennis, figure skating, Diving, etc.) as well as the New York Mets,BUT if Live from Lincoln Center is on, that's what I'll watch (or even attend). Disson is just not that mind grabbing.

btw, Disson shows are thematic. No? Everyone skates to a special theme, like for the Holidays. SOI has more of repertoire programs featuring Soloists backed up by a corps of top skaters for each number to an original theme.

I really do love Artistry and I can only find it in a handful of skaters. But there are more than a handful of competitive skaters.

On the Ice
    since I do not follow 'show' skating unless there is nothing more on TV for me to watch. . I like competitions between individuals (Golf,Tennis, figure skating, Diving, etc.) as well as the New York Mets,BUT if Live from Lincoln Center is on, that's what I'll watch (or even attend). Disson is just not that mind grabbing.

btw, Disson shows are thematic. No?
    Disson shows are formulaic, and all feature the same basic "cast" of skaters; a skating equivalent of a repertory company. But it seems that Disson are now the sole producer of entertainment skating on T.V.

Disson's desire to subsidize their productions by having a live audience limits what they can do. Significant changeovers of camera angles, costumes, props etc. or more complex ensemble numbers are precluded by the fact that these things would cause unacceptably long waiting time for the audience.

There are a number of factors that have contributed to the downturn in T.V. viewership of skating, and Disson's cookie cutter(interchangeable/identical) productions, must be, at least a small factor.

^^^
    I respect what you are saying, but for me, Disson shows all look alike. And those inverviews interspersed with the skating are so contrived. Why should they last on TV? Seen-one-seen-em-all!

I would imagine they are produced for the kiddies at holiday time. No?

On the Ice
    ^^^
    I respect what you are saying, but for me, Disson shows all look alike. And those inverviews interspersed with the skating are so contrived. Why should they last on TV? Seen-one-seen-em-all
    Read my post (#39). That's exactly what I was saying.

Still, the Disson shows are on TV, while viewer interest in major competitions like the Grand Prix seems to have dropped to zero.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Still, the Disson shows are on TV, while viewer interest in major competitions like the Grand Prix seems to have dropped to zero.
    What's more, I believe the ratings for the Disson shows are in the same league as the ratings for Skate America. In other words, there's no additional interest in watching skaters compete vs. watching skaters as entertainment.

I do believe skating is viewed by many as entertainment much more so than sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cohen View Post
    Read my post (#39). That's exactly what I was saying.
    Sorry about that. Didn't read your note about Made for the Kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    If there is a lull in competitive skating then get more into your life to fill that gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    What's more, I believe the ratings for the Disson shows are in the same league as the ratings for Skate America. In other words, there's no additional interest in watching skaters compete vs. watching skaters as entertainment.

I do believe skating is viewed by many as entertainment much more so than sport.
    I would hardly call it entertainment if there is no competition. At least Pageants have a winner. :sheesh: Who cares about the Disson Ratings? There is no doubt that Disson shows are kiddie entertainments and who cares if there is no competition? And I agree interest in competitive skating in the US has dropped significantly. The kiddie shows have replaced it. Mumsies and Daddies will have something to keep their kids quiet.

As for watching skaters compete vs. watching skating as kiddie entertainment just means the interest of the opinionator does not have to know the difference between a Fall and an Underrotation.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 08-01-2009 at 06:32 PM.

I would hardly call it entertainment if there is no competition.
    What a strange thing to say. I just came back from the theater. There was no competition. But I still felt entertained by the show.

Who cares about the Disson Ratings?
    I do. People vote with their remotes. I like Kristi Yamaguchi and Friends the best.

If you don't enjoy these entertainments, OK. Different strokes for different folks.

If there is a lull in competitive skating then get more into your life to fill that gap.
    ? I'll try.
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-01-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast