Yu-Na Kim: The big question: What is she going to skate to this year? | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: The big question: What is she going to skate to this year?

christinaskater

Medalist
A lot of my friends are all amped and all are asking , what is she going to skate to this year?

I heard she maybe skating to a medley......can't wait to find out!

Wrlmy

Medalist
If the medley part is true (source?), you probably know lot more than most of us here. I'm hoping it's something completely original or even shocking. It will be a huge letdown after all the drama and secrecy if it turns out she's skating..............................................to CARMEN! actually that would be shocking for a completely different reason.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
There are several things that are known: first of all, generally, the style will be the same, so it probably will be something dramatic, passionate, tragic, etc; then the melody should be familiar to the most of the spectators; and third, that must be something that is not used too much (I'm not sure about this, but I think it's the most logical thing anyway).

Yuna selected the music herself, as she did with "Danse Macabre" and "Sheherazade".

So as you can see there is almost no clues. The only thing that I'm sure about - it won't be any kind of Korean music.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
There are several things that are known: first of all, generally, the style will be the same, so it probably will be something dramatic, passionate, tragic, etc; then the melody should be familiar to the most of the spectators; and third, that must be something that is not used too much (I'm not sure about this, but I think it's the most logical thing anyway).

Yuna selected the music herself, as she did with "Danse Macabre" and "Sheherazade".

So as you can see there is almost no clues. The only thing that I'm sure about - it won't be any kind of Korean music.

I have been screaming arirang since i saw her lark ascending program.

SusieH

On the Ice
IFS magazine

Just read the latest issue of International Figure Skating Magazine. There are some passages related to Yuna's new programs in the cover story "Yu-Na Kim: Riding a Golden Wave" (You have to PAY and subscribe to read the whole thing, but you can see the picture and some opening passages at their website. Just click the column at the very left)

Here are some quotes:
Orser said the short will be "dynamic and powerful": "The key word is rhythm. We have to go with how she competes best, the type of music she responds to that makes her competitive and fierce." Orser explained, “She is not a fluff skater. She doesn’t respond well to soft and slow.”

The long program will also be refreshing. "We have moved away from a theme where there's the motivation and inspiration of a story. ."

--
Riddles riddles riddles. Have fun with it everyone! :cool:

Anyway, here goes my hope for a "The Lark Ascending" redux.*sigh* Contrary to Orser, I actually believe she suits "soft and slow" very well.

--
I enjoyed reading this article a lot. Many interesting quotes from Orser and Yuna, and some from her fellow skaters (such as Chan, Weir, Tessa and Scott), Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning [he compared her to Tsunami!]). After reading it, I strengthened my belief that she does have the greatest team anyone can ask for in the whole world. She claimed that "they [her team] really love me and I really love them all," that she is very happy to be able to prepare for the olympic season here with them. Pity IFS doesn't post the whole thing. Here are some pieces of information I found intersting (mostly from Brian Orser because I like him a lot :)):

From Orser:
On Yuna's "invalid" spin element in her long program at worlds:
“I became consumed with her last spin being deemed invalid and tried to figure out where I went wrong.” Orser admitted. “I could not enjoy the moment as much because I felt that I had let her down. You know, being the captain of this team, I let something slip through…I should have been more on top of it.”

(He is a perfectionist, isn't he? I don't think anyone gave much of a thought to that since that element didn't change anything, not even close. And I think it was sweet of Yuna to tell the media it was all HER fault to not get the element checked right after the competition.)

Orser also said that he wants to keep everything as normal as possible in her Grand Prix preparation.

Yu Na also is quoted in the article expressing her appreciation for her North American fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

szidon

On the Ice
Thanks for the recap!

--
Anyway, here goes my hope for a "The Lark Ascending" redux.*sigh* Contrary to Orser, I actually believe she suits "soft and slow" very well.

Me, too! I think Yu-Na responds well to what makes her competitive and fierce AND she's very lyrical and delicate. :) I can't forget the moment when I first watched Yu-na skate to "The Lark Ascending" in 2006. :love:

From Orser:
On Yuna's "invalid" spin element in her long program at worlds:
“I became consumed with her last spin being deemed invalid and tried to figure out where I went wrong.” Orser admitted. “I could not enjoy the moment as much because I felt that I had let her down. You know, being the captain of this team, I let something slip through…I should have been more on top of it.”
(He is a perfectionist, isn't he? I don't think anyone gave much of a thought to that since that element didn't change anything, not even close. And I think it was sweet of Yuna to tell the media it was all HER fault to not get the element checked right after the competition.)

It was considerate of Yu-Na to ascribe an invalid spin element in LP to herself. :yes: What a connection Yu-Na & Brian have made!

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel5555

On the Ice
"We have moved away from a theme where there's the motivation and inspiration of a story. We are going somewhere different though somewhat familiar. I think what we have chosen will be the perfect Olympic vehicle."
Oh, yes... I forgot about that. The long program will be different for sure.

Contrary to Orser, I actually believe she suits "soft and slow" very well.
I also think so... Probably he says that because the "Danse Macabre" program was somehow more powerful than the "Sheherazade", but I think that both programs were amazing.

Nadine

Record Breaker
You know what this reminds me of, the book by Maynard F. Thomson entitled Dreams of Gold, which came out in the year 2000 (one of the better skating books in my humble opinion, my favorite in fact). :)

However, unfortunately, Yuna reminds me not of the heroine (Maggie), but rather of the other tragic figure at the end. The girl that had everything ~ looks, talent, athleticism, It, the girl that literally had it all ~ however she & her coach decided not to let the public know what music she would be skating to at the Olympics (nor the quad she had planned). They let the public think she would be skating to last year's routine & music, then when the moment came they planned to stun them all with this secret glorius music, costume, quad, et al. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way, yes, the opening music was phenomenal (as well as her costume exquisite) & the crowd was entranced, as planned, but then that's when things went wrong. I won't spoil the nail-biting end, it was one for the ages though. But I will say it was the 3Axel girl that triumphed.

Come on, Orser & Yuna, let us know what she will be skating to, don't leave it till the last moment. :) Seriously, it's your prerogative, do as you wish, it just makes the Olympic Season that much more exciting!:agree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Here are the quotes:
Orser said the short will be "dynamic and powerful": "The key word is rhythm. We have to go with how she competes best, the type of music she responds to that makes her competitive and fierce." Orser explained, “She is not a fluff skater. She doesn’t respond well to soft and slow.”

The long program will also be refreshing. "We have moved away from a theme where there's the motivation and inspiration of a story. We are going somewhere different though somewhat familiar. I think what we have chosen will be the perfect Olympic vehicle."

--
Riddles riddles riddles. Have fun with it everyone! :cool:

First, thanks so much for posting :)

Judging by theses hints my predictons are:
SP: Bolero. I can't image a piece where the tempo is so important. It is dynamic, powerful and had been used by the Reigning men's champ who is skating to the music from Yu-na's former freeskate. Return the favor. :rofl:
It is a piece of music she can show off her personality, like in Dance Macrbe, she can be sexy, powerful and even a little sultry. Not to mention it has also been used by Michelle, who seems to be her role model, and is a perfect olympic warhorse.

For the Free:
Thougher. I am going with the Gadfly Suite or else some classical pieces...saint senes?

bekalc

Record Breaker
The girl that had everything ~ looks, talent, athleticism, It, the girl that literally had it all ~ however she & her coach decided not to let the public know what music she would be skating to at the Olympics (nor the quad she had planned

Well it's not like Yu-na is going to wait to unveil her programs at the Olympics or the GPF (didn't Plushy try that with his long) She will be skating her programs in competition for as long as Mao will.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Nadine
I am not very sure about this, so correct me, if I am wrong, but I think that Mao also keeps her music a secret...
So it's not like only Yuna do that right now. They just want to make it as exciting as possible. I don't think we really have to put some tragic emphasis here...

evangeline

Record Breaker
Nadine
I am not very sure about this, so correct me, if I am wrong, but I think that Mao also keeps her music a secret...

Actually, Mao has announced her music quite awhile ago. Her SP is to Khachaturian's Masquerade Suite, her LP is to Rachmaninoff's 'Bells of Moscow' and her EX will be to one of Paganini's 'Caprices.'

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't think Miki has announced her music yet. Joubert hasn't announced his free program yet either. I'm not really seeing the big deal.

Now it would be stupid if Yu-na waits to unveil her program till the Olympics. But while I think not announcing the music is a bit silly, I don't think it's going to hurt her.

SusieH

On the Ice
First, thanks so much for posting :)

Judging by theses hints my predictons are:
SP: Bolero. I can't image a piece where the tempo is so important. It is dynamic, powerful and had been used by the Reigning men's champ who is skating to the music from Yu-na's former freeskate. Return the favor. :rofl:
It is a piece of music she can show off her personality, like in Dance Macrbe, she can be sexy, powerful and even a little sultry. Not to mention it has also been used by Michelle, who seems to be her role model, and is a perfect olympic warhorse.

For the Free:
Thougher. I am going with the Gadfly Suite or else some classical pieces...saint senes?

You are welcome :)

Um, not very sure if Bolero fits the category of "dynamic." To me this piece always sounds a bit monotoous and even slow for skating music.
I would rather Yuna sticks to the very Joubert-like dynamic soundtrack piece that I read about from some other skating board a few weeks ago ;) (But I don't think that source is very reliable)

lol at the Evan mention. But no, I don't think Yuna should return the favor since it is pretty obvious that it was Michelle Kwan instead of Yuna that Evan had in mind when he chose his music. :p

As for her lp, I've kept reading that it's gonna be a medley. Is it confirmed?

Daniel5555

On the Ice
evangeline
Actually, Mao has announced her music quite awhile ago. Her SP is to Khachaturian's Masquerade Suite, her LP is to Rachmaninoff's 'Bells of Moscow' and her EX will be to one of Paganini's 'Caprices.'
OK, thank you.

SusieH
As for her lp, I've kept reading that it's gonna be a medley. Is it confirmed?
As far as I know, nothing is confirmed yet. But if that's serious we will know about it somehow for sure.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Based on the quotes and all the speculation there's not doubt left in my mind. Yuna will definitely be skating to the Birdie Song.

:rofl:

Ant

SusieH

On the Ice
Based on the quotes and all the speculation there's not doubt left in my mind. Yuna will definitely be skating to the Birdie Song.

:rofl:

Ant

Like this one? :biggrin:

Actually someone used to dub Yuna's 2006 TEB perfomance with this Snoopy clip, and named it "Yuna Kim, you're a good skate" or somthing like that. I saw it at youtube last year or so. It was quite cute! Pity I can't find it now :)

kandidy

Final Flight
:cool:lol I had a weird dream last night that I was watching this year GP series and Yuna was skating to Phantom of the opera, wishing you were somehow heare again. A sad and slow song. I know this year she said her music was powerful, so out of topic...:biggrin:

LeCygne

Final Flight
The reason people are so hung up over Yu-Na's decision to keep her music secret is because she publicly announced that she's not going to reveal it until her first GP event. If she just didn't announce her music like Miki hasn't yet, it wouldn't be a big deal. Some people just prefer to wait a bit. But if you're going to say "I'm just not telling anyone until the season starts" that will get attention. Don't announce the music but don't say you're not announcing it either, if that makes any sense.