Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yu-Na Kim: The big question: What is she going to skate to this year?

Based on the quotes and all the speculation there's not doubt left in my mind. Yuna will definitely be skating to the Birdie Song.

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Based on the quotes and all the speculation there's not doubt left in my mind. Yuna will definitely be skating to the Birdie Song.

Ant
    Like this one?

Actually someone used to dub Yuna's 2006 TEB perfomance with this Snoopy clip, and named it "Yuna Kim, you're a good skate" or somthing like that. I saw it at youtube last year or so. It was quite cute! Pity I can't find it now

Custom Title
    SusieH
    Like this one?
    Thank you! This one made my day

lol I had a weird dream last night that I was watching this year GP series and Yuna was skating to Phantom of the opera, wishing you were somehow heare again. A sad and slow song. I know this year she said her music was powerful, so out of topic...

The reason people are so hung up over Yu-Na's decision to keep her music secret is because she publicly announced that she's not going to reveal it until her first GP event. If she just didn't announce her music like Miki hasn't yet, it wouldn't be a big deal. Some people just prefer to wait a bit. But if you're going to say "I'm just not telling anyone until the season starts" that will get attention. Don't announce the music but don't say you're not announcing it either, if that makes any sense.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Thanks ant! Patty deserved her win and got appropriate marks!

Skylark

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post

Ant
    Yes !! her life has been such dramatic and thank you SusieH what a video clip it is ! But I would rather recommend Yu-Na do her “Lark Ascending” again.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Hmm..knowing Yu-Na's previous seasons...
    probably something rather generic and overly-dramatic.
    It would be nice if she did a program again like "Lark" but after she saw how well the melodramatic programs worked for her this year I doubt she will do something that gentle again.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    You know what this reminds me of, the book by Maynard F. Thomson entitled Dreams of Gold, which came out in the year 2000 (one of the better skating books in my humble opinion, my favorite in fact).

However, unfortunately, Yuna reminds me not of the heroine (Maggie), but rather of the other tragic figure at the end. The girl that had everything ~ looks, talent, athleticism, It, the girl that literally had it all ~ however she & her coach decided not to let the public know what music she would be skating to at the Olympics (nor the quad she had planned). They let the public think she would be skating to last year's routine & music, then when the moment came they planned to stun them all with this secret glorius music, costume, quad, et al. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way, yes, the opening music was phenomenal (as well as her costume exquisite) & the crowd was entranced, as planned, but then that's when things went wrong. I won't spoil the nail-biting end, it was one for the ages though. But I will say it was the 3Axel girl that triumphed.

Come on, Orser & Yuna, let us know what she will be skating to, don't leave it till the last moment. Seriously, it's your prerogative, do as you wish, it just makes the Olympic Season that much more exciting!
    Naahh.. things like these stay in books. It's too risky to try out in real life. (At least I hope Yuna and Orser won't give it a go!) It would be amazing if someone really did that and triumphed though.

I think Yuna and Orser don't plan to reveal the music until the Grand Prix starts. Were they secretive about the music last year as well?

Quote Originally Posted by SusieH View Post

Anyway, here goes my hope for a "The Lark Ascending" redux.*sigh* Contrary to Orser, I actually believe she suits "soft and slow" very well.

Ladies tends to be my least-favourite of all of the events because of all that soft stuff that is soooo badly done, but when Yuna does it, it's perfection!

Custom Title
    LeCygne
    Don't announce the music but don't say you're not announcing it either, if that makes any sense.
    I'm pretty sure that if she did so, someone would say the same thing but inversely.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mycelticblessing View Post
    I think Yuna and Orser don't plan to reveal the music until the Grand Prix starts. Were they secretive about the music last year as well?
    Not at all. Last year they announced it pretty early. We even had an advance cam-version footage of her practicing the short program (taken by her fan) to enjoy during the summer.

ETA: I'm sorry for quoting too much. Thank the moderator for taking time to edit my post
    Last edited by SusieH; 07-28-2009 at 09:02 PM.

take off the oven mitts
    i too would like to see the lark redux! yes, slow fluff for me, any time, long as it's well designed and skated by yu-na.

but of course she has to choose music that stirs her competitive fire--i'm sure she and her team have made a good choice.

i'll cross my fingers that one of her exhibitions will be slow fluff--then her encore can be sassy and sexy.

Does it really matter what the music is? For me, whatever it is begs the question when she skates to it, "Did She Capture the Character of the Music? For the Ladies, they have to do a boring spiral sequence, a prescribed straightlined footwork passage; 7 jump passages with or without music and lots of pseudo ballet arms; convoluted spins; a few moves-in-the field, but only in the adagio part; and a dramatic ending, all of which will explain a story and get some fans thinking it is high art.

I think a few of the Men can skate the tricks and do it to the character of the music better than the Ladies JMO.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by kandidy View Post
    lol I had a weird dream last night that I was watching this year GP series and Yuna was skating to Phantom of the opera, wishing you were somehow heare again. A sad and slow song. I know this year she said her music was powerful, so out of topic...

Oh.. no more Phantom of the Opera! I am sick of it.. to hear the same songs again and again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast