Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yu-Na Kim: The big question: What is she going to skate to this year?

Custom Title
    Good news for you.!!

Team YuNa won't keep the music secret any more. She released a statement today through her agent that she would announce the music in two weeks at the time of the Ice Show.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Good news for you.!!

Team YuNa won't keep the music secret any more. She released a statement today through her agent that she would announce the music in two weeks at the time of the Ice Show.
    Yay! I guess a number of us will be hovering around GS that day waiting to pounce on the report.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Good news for you.!!

Here is the video clip you referred to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDNlqiv43QI

All koreans, here is the brief translation.

What Yu-Na is saying is she will open her programs to the public in August before or after the Yu-Na's Show in Korea. And she has been planning to perform her Danse Macabre and another Exhibition number (Maybe Don't stop the music) at the show because lots of her fans love it.

Yu-Na also said "Apart from doing spins, spirals, jumps or else It will be honored for me to be with Michell Kwan on the same ice. I met her at the 2009 World Championship and talked a little bit. I respected her for a long time since I saw her for the first time on TV in 1998 Nagano Olympics and her performance moved me a lot all the time. IAS 2009 will be for MK to be the first comeback stage in about 3 years after her retirement." etc...

Anyway... her programs will be announced sooner or later! be cautious.
    I will be IAS 2009 or Yu-Na's show for 3 days in a row. I'll let you know what and how both Yu-Na and MK do at the show. Bye ~~

You can hear what Yu-Na said and Plushenko said on Lysacheck..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB_EVTo5-mY
    Last edited by dkyoun; 07-30-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: New Link

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Does it really matter what the music is? For me, whatever it is begs the question when she skates to it, "Did She Capture the Character of the Music? For the Ladies, they have to do a boring spiral sequence, a prescribed straightlined footwork passage; 7 jump passages with or without music and lots of pseudo ballet arms; convoluted spins; a few moves-in-the field, but only in the adagio part; and a dramatic ending, all of which will explain a story and get some fans thinking it is high art.

I think a few of the Men can skate the tricks and do it to the character of the music better than the Ladies JMO.
    I do think the skating music matters. It's more aesthetically pleasing to the viewer's ears. Plus, sometimes, sometimes when a skater can feel the music and skate to it, the program just looks totally magical. It's rare nowadays, but sometimes it does happen

But I agree about the spiral sequence part. Most of the spirals are boring, contrived, and don't seem to fit the music at all. It almost seems skaters do it just because they are required to do it. I often assume the spiral sequence is designed to help the skater catch her breath. I hope to see more spiral sequences like what Michelle Kwan did in her "East of Eden" program (the short haired verson). That is the kind of the spiral sequence that just seamlessly blends into the music.

--
    And great news! So glad to know they are to announce her music choices soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieH View Post
    I do think the skating music matters. It's more aesthetically pleasing to the viewer's ears. Plus, sometimes, sometimes when a skater can feel the music and skate to it, the program just looks totally magical. It's rare nowadays, but sometimes it does happen

But I agree about the spiral sequence part. Most of the spirals are boring, contrived, and don't seem to fit the music at all. It almost seems skaters do it just because they are required to do it. I often assume the spiral sequence is designed to help the skater catch her breath. I hope to see more spiral sequences like what Michelle Kwan did in her "East of Eden" program (the short haired verson). That is the kind of the spiral sequence that just seamlessly blends into the music.

--
    And great news! So glad to know they are to announce her music choices soon.
    But the spiral sequence is not so easy, because they have to change the edge in the middle and requires a lot of strenght, especially if they do it with a great flexibility.

"The long program is one of those programs that you can visualize on the final night for the ladies Olympic program. It's one of those great programs and you visualize people on their feet," said Orser, indicating that the choice is a piano concerto with "nice pacing" which people will recognize instantly.
    from Icenetwork.
    Rachmaninov?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    from Icenetwork.
    Rachmaninov?
    Moonlight Sonata? Image a battle of the Moonlights! and maybe the SP is "The feeling begins" another strong, sexy Kwan piece.
    Last edited by Tinymavy15; 07-31-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Liebestraum?

take off the oven mitts
    it's got to be tchaikovsky's piano concerto. it has a lot more... charge compared to other piano concertos frequently used. it opens with a crowd pleasing, instantly recognizable melody, and it has a rousing finish. just my uneducated guess

"Piano concerto" often indicates that there is an orchestra involved. Moonlight Sonata and Liebestraum are solo piano pieces.

There are not that many overly famous piano concerti. So it's either Rachmaninov, the famous Tschaikovsky concerto No.1 (Rochette used it in her 07/08 short program, Andreev uses the music in his long program right now), maybe Liszt (though I doubt that his piano concerti qualify as "instantly recognisable") or Beethoven, Mozart... Schumann could be a possibility, I love his piano concerto No.1 - or Chopin's masterpiece of a piano concerto. But all these aren't that well-known / well-used among skaters or the general population. Certainly not as much as Tschaikovsky's No.1 or Rachmaninov's No.2.

"Piano concerto" often indicates that there is an orchestra involved. Moonlight Sonata and Liebestraum are solo piano pieces.
    Thanks for enlightning me, but does Orser know that?

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Thanks for enlightning me, but does Orser know that?
    I suppose so. But what do I know.

Plus, I simply doubt that such a dramatic skater like Kim would choose solo piano music. Especially since she hasn't skated to music like that for quite a few years. Choosing it for the Olympic long program would be a big risk.

I suppose so. But what do I know.

Plus, I simply doubt that such a dramatic skater like Kim would choose solo piano music. Especially since she hasn't skated to music like that for quite a few years. Choosing it for the Olympic long program would be a big risk.
    OK, maybe so.

btw I like your zebra cartoon...to be followed...?

Quote Originally Posted by GiuliaPlum View Post
    But the spiral sequence is not so easy, because they have to change the edge in the middle and requires a lot of strenght, especially if they do it with a great flexibility.
    Neither is the Triple Axel which also requires a tremendous amount of flexibility. Maybe it is not like the coveted acrobatic kind, but try getting your muscles into a 3A without them being flexible.

Depending on how many young fans get into the stadium at the Olympics it may not be too disasterous for Kim. Young fans demand bravura performances at LIVE championships, and piano concerti does not allow for that. However, I think there will be sufficient number of adults to offset Kim's young fans from screaming at the wrong moments of the music.The older group will enjoy the music as is, plus her perfomance, and applaud wildly as the music ends with a standing Ovation if they believe she deserves it.

I remember S/Z at 2003 Worlds, the fans were on their feet at least a half a minute before the end of program. I love being there on such occasions, but the expenses of Olys are far to much for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast