Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Yu-Na Kim: The big question: What is she going to skate to this year?

Custom Title
    Joesitz
    Depending on how many young fans get into the stadium at the Olympics it may not be too disasterous for Kim. Young fans demand bravura performances at LIVE championships, and piano concerti does not allow for that. However, I think there will be sufficient number of adults to offset Kim's young fans from screaming at the wrong moments of the music.
    I think, most of the fans will stay quiet until the end despite of their age.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    Joesitz

I think, most of the fans will stay quiet until the end despite of their age.
    I hope so. She deserves that. Have you been to LIVE competitions? Those screaming kids can ruin a performance for every move their favorite makes.

Oh, I don't think so at all. When the audience cheers at every highlight move, that just makes it all the more exciting. It might even influence the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Oh, I don't think so at all. When the audience cheers at every highlight move, that just makes it all the more exciting. It might even influence the judges.
    Cheers is one thing. I don't mind a polite applause, but screaming doesn't make the viewer have a pleasant time.

When Kwan did her signature change edge spiral to that lovely Spartacus adagio, the music could have been turned off with all that screaming. if that makes some happy, so be it. It doesn't for me but then I am an old curmudgeon

Custom Title
    Joesitz
    I hope so. She deserves that. Have you been to LIVE competitions? Those screaming kids can ruin a performance for every move their favorite makes.
    Sadly, I've never been to live competitions, so I can only judge by TV broadcasting. It looks like they are cheering only when Yuna does jumps or other effective moves.
    However before and after the performance some of them are so noisy, that sometimes she has to ask them to be more quiet

Custom Title
    I'm ashamed, I admit my original post to this topic was not in good sportsmanship. In fact I thought twice about posting it, especially since someone brought up the fact that Miki Ando has not announced her LP music either. I didn't know that.

I'll be honest, I want Mao to win because I think she has the best shot of breaking my favorite Sonja Henie's record, or at least tieing it. And her biggest rival in my humble opinion is Yuna Kim.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I honestly don't care if either one wins. Yes, I will be rooting for Mao, but I won't mind if Yuna wins. Lol, who knows, it just might be neither one, rather somebody out of left field!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    I'll be honest, I want Mao to win because I think she has the best shot of breaking my favorite Sonja Henie's record, or at least tieing it. And her biggest rival in my humble opinion is Yuna Kim.
    Besides Kim, Mao's biggest rival if she wants to challenge Sonia Henie's record is the ISU age limit.

Henie won her first World championship at 14 and her first Olympic gold medal at 15. Mao was not (quite) old enough for Torino under the new rules, so she is already four years behind Henie. When Henie was Mao's age (19) she was already going for her sixth straight World Championship (of 10 in all) and her second straight (of three) Olympic gold medal.[/QUOTE]

Custom Title
    You bring up some good points, Mathman, but I honest to God believe that she can do it! I know on paper it looks impossible, but I'm not one that relies on such things, I go with my gut/my instinct.

Mao Asada will be 19 yrs. old this coming Olympics, 23 in 2014, and 27 in 2018. It's not impossible. With a little luck, and a lot of hard work & determination, she can do it. And I hope to God that I live to see that day. Lol, I obviously won't be around in 100 yrs. or less. I'm hoping she's the one. And wouldn't it be nice for all those greats that came before her, in particular Midori Ito & Tonya Harding, her predecessors, their descendant...

Custom Title
    Are you seriously calling Tonya Harding Mao's predecessor?

being a "young fan" (read younger than Joesitz and/or Mathman) who has watched the sport with much delight for over 20 years... I do admit I do letting out the occasional "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" when a skater takes to teh ice, or after they finish. at nationals Keegan Messing has always gotten an overly excited response from me. It's one way to get the support heard...

I've also booed judges calls (Evan over Johnny at nationals 08 LP), but for the most part I sit silently during the skates

that being said it's not just my age group and younger that can't contain their enthusiasm, or have been downright rude... I've seen older people drunk at nationals almost brawl it out over which skater was better (men and women)... there are idiots in all shapes, sizes, and ages... I don't get the disdain by some on this board for the younger generation.

Sorry that I haven't reviewed the all posts. But is it still a secret, Yuna's music? I thought that Mao would keep it secret but didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Sorry that I haven't reviewed the all posts. But is it still a secret, Yuna's music? I thought that Mao would keep it secret but didn't.
    By IB Sports, Yu-Na's management company, on August, 12 or 13, Yu-Na's music will be announced to the public.
    Last edited by dkyoun; 08-09-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkyoun View Post
    By IB Sports, Yu-Na's management company, on August, 12 or 13, Yu-Na's music will be announced to the public.
    So it should be in a day or two. Hmmm....so we wait and speculate.

Ah, how easily skate fans are played with...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4