Lambiel will be back | Golden Skate

Lambiel will be back

Medusa

Record Breaker
http://www.stephanelambiel.ch/

Figure skater Stéphane Lambiel, 24, has decided to make a comeback into competitive sport. The Swiss: “I would like to qualify for the 2010 Olympic Games and achieve a top score in Vancouver.” The two-time World Champion (2005 and 2006) retired from competitive skating in October 2008 due to an injury to his left adductor muscle which made training at full capacity impossible. The injury continues to bother him says Lambiel, but thanks to physical therapy the pain is now “manageable”.

I am so beyond happy.

EDIT:
Neue Zürcher Zeitung - in German
Press release from Art on Ice
Tribune de Genève - in French

Last edited:

Rhyme

Rinkside
Stéphane Lambiel wants another go at Olympic Games

Figure skater Stéphane Lambiel, 24, has decided to make a comeback into competitive sport. The Swiss: “I would like to qualify for the 2010 Olympic Games and achieve a top score in Vancouver.” The two-time World Champion (2005 and 2006) retired from competitive skating in October 2008 due to an injury to his left adductor muscle which made training at full capacity impossible. The injury continues to bother him says Lambiel, but thanks to physical therapy the pain is now “manageable”.
http://www.stephanelambiel.ch/upload/media/lambiel_pr_090725_en.pdf

http://www.stephanelambiel.ch/

I'm so happy!!!!!!! :biggrin::love:

sorcerer

Final Flight
So soon to call it a "Comeback".

Just "Didn't go" lol .... but a happy thing for sure! Great news!

SusieH

On the Ice
Wow, I can't believe my eyes! What wonderful news! That's so great! Stephane, just stay healthy and have fun. So happy, happy to have you back!

It's gonna be a great olympic season with so many people coming back! :clap:

PS It seems the Swiss have become the main source of my joy nowdays. I'm still squeeing with happiness about the Federer babies. And now comes this? So happy :party2:

alekzu

Rinkside
:party2: :party: WOW!!!!! I just watched some news about Daisuke, saw parts of his training for the new programs (awesome!). There are so many great comebacks now, it's insane! Next season is going to be fantastic! :rock:

Edit: After careful reading, Lambiel will participate in Nebelhorn trophy to secure a spot for Olympics, and also in Japan Open. Are there any others for him to participate in? Finlandia Trophy I suppose. Any others?

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
Kind of makes a joke out of "retirement" with all these comebacks. I'll believe no one after this. I enjoyed his skating but all these "comebacks" after being gone imo is an afront to those who've toughed it out by staying and competing all along to earn their spots. Venting!

That said, it worries me that he's going to get into such intense training again with that injury still not healed. Pain "manageable?" is still pain and increases risk for long term damage. Is it worth it? I guess it is to him.

We'll see what we'll see. Bring it on.

efreedman

On the Ice
I sensed a comeback when I saw him skate at Festa On Ice; more specifically his Sunday evening performance. Some on FSU pooh-poohed my observation. I'm glad that I'm vindicated:clap:

beep_beep

Medalist
:rock:

*jumps up and down of happiness*

I should know better not to get over excited about this, after all his injury is still there and he still has to qualify for the games, but still... yay!

Medusa

Record Breaker
Kind of makes a joke out of "retirement" with all these comebacks. I'll believe no one after this. I enjoyed his skating but all these "comebacks" after being gone imo is an afront to those who've toughed it out by staying and competing all along to earn their spots. Venting!
Lambiel always said that he didn't know for sure if it was the end. He was also injured.

So he is an affront to skaters (and I guess you mean Mr. Lysacek with that) who "have toughed it out by staying and competing all along to earn their spots."? Lambiel doesn't even have a spot at the Olympics right now. Lambiel always did everything on his own, he has no teammates who can earn spots for him when he is injured or unavailable - in contrast to Mr. Lysacek who attended Worlds 2009 courtesy of Johnny Weir and Stephen Carriere, who both had to stay at home.

I am sorry that I sound like an uber on this, I am not blind, I know Lambiel isn't perfect. But he attended 7 consecutive Worlds, winning twice and placing 3rd once. He attended 7 European Championships, two Olympics, where he came in 15th and 2nd. He won the Grand Prix Final twice.

He sat out one, just one season. How is that an affront?

Or do you feel offended because on any given day Stéphane Lambiel has better skating skills, spins, musicality, artistry, jump technique, footwork and star power than Lysacek?

Audrey19

On the Ice
Wheeeeeeeee!!!!! Now that was the news I was waiting for all the time! I soooooo hope he's gonna make it and win that gold medal. there's just noone out there who is as good as he is :love: and he's soooo deserving to be crowned the olympic champion! Go for it!!!! :rock:

THERE IS A GOD​

I'm surprised but delighted.

On the Comeback Trail: 2 Gentlemen, 1 Lady, 1 Pairs. Will we see more?

i love to skate

Medalist
Or do you feel offended because on any given day Stéphane Lambiel has better skating skills, spins, musicality, artistry, jump technique, footwork and star power than Lysacek?

Is sure seems that you are offended that somebody has a different opinion than you :rolleye:

Why bring Evan into this? Evan is the reigning World Champion which is quite an accomplishment. Seems like you want respect for Stephane but don't extend that courtesy to other skaters.

seniorita

Record Breaker
there is no rule that the same who earn the spots for next season will go to Olys, each season starts like a blank paper, like a no-memory system, so there is no reservation of seats as in theatre, it is a sport, and goes by rules.

And it will be tough anyway to earn his spot in germany and it needs a tone of guts in general to return to competitive form, so All kudos to him, GO Stephan!:rock:
I m not sure i still have realised it since morning! I need an emoticon that smiles up until the sky!
Medusa I love your banner, I mean I LOVE IT!!!

evangeline

Record Breaker
I AM SO, SO, SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY!!!

This news has definitely made my day. Yes, Yes, YES!

*goes off and burns some incense at her Lambiel fangirl shrine*

seniorita

Record Breaker
I forgot to add that now my King is back+my Little Prince is back and this thread will go for sure over 1000 posts as well!:rock:
First time i want summer to end!

Is Ant a fan of Lambiel or I will need a double effort now?:cool:

Medusa where did it go your little red zebra skating, I fell in love:love:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Is sure seems that you are offended that somebody has a different opinion than you :rolleye:

Why bring Evan into this? Evan is the reigning World Champion which is quite an accomplishment.
merrybari is an intense Lysacek-fan, I normally respect that. But I found her comment uncalled for. And it sounded to me like she disrespects Lambiel because he took a year off, contrasting that with skaters who "toughed it out" - which sounds to me like "Lysacek". If she didn't think of Lysacek - fine, I apologise. I just tried to find out why she felt the need to put down Lambiel.
Seems like you want respect for Stephane but don't extend that courtesy to other skaters.
And I have always respected Lysacek. Yes, I still think he is inferior in every single one of those points I mentioned - but he is e.g. way more consistent (Lambiel was actually kind of lucky to have as much success as he has had - in another time he might have ended up as the Swiss Aleksandr Abt) and has a better sitspin. Evan is also a fierce competitor who seems to respect his colleagues and his coach enormously.

I don't need to want respect for Lambiel. He is probably the most respected skater of his generation, praised immensely by nearly every important personality this sport has. He is one of the most impressive artists this sport has ever seen - and still managed to combine that with athletic feats.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
YAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I`m not sure I can think of anything that could make me happier!:bow::love::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

shine

Record Breaker
I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I want a ticket to the Men's SP and LP at Vancouver!!!!!!!!!

shine

Record Breaker
?
Stephane Lambiel toughed it out THROUGHOUT his competitive career. He's had a chronic knee injury that he has had to fight since, what, 2004? Not to mention he won 2 World Championships and 1 Olympic silver with those injuries. And what do you mean by "earning their spots"? Like the article said, he still has to go through the process of competing at an Olympic qualifier (Nebelhorn Trophy) to get a spot for Switzerland even with his credentials.

ETA: replied before I went through the thread to see Medusa's response to merrybari. WTG, great posts!

Last edited: