Lambiel will be back | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lambiel will be back

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
OMG. I so did not expect this. Now all we need is for Michelle to offically announce her competitive return and we will every top skater from the last 5 years fighting it out at Vancover.

That being said, I don't see him toping his silver at Torino. The men's field is as thick as molasses right now.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
That being said, I don't see him toping his silver at Torino. The men's field is as thick as molasses right now.

True, but Olympics is especially the event when meltdowns are the norm--just look at the 2006 Olympics. If Lambiel can get back to a reasonable form, he's talented enough that he can probably make the Olympic podium as long as he doesn't completely implode. After all, his triple axels deserted him in 2006 and he still was able to win the silver nonetheless.

bellarina

Spectator
Wow, this makes me really, really happy! I was so upset when he left competitive skating, and I'm so glad he's decided to come back and try the best he can. :clap:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
merrybari is an intense Lysacek-fan, I normally respect that. But I found her comment uncalled for. And it sounded to me like she disrespects Lambiel because he took a year off, contrasting that with skaters who "toughed it out" - which sounds to me like "Lysacek". If she didn't think of Lysacek - fine, I apologise. I just tried to find out why she felt the need to put down Lambiel.
I can't speak for merrybari, but I read it as directed towards the general trend of skaters un-retiring rather than Stephane specifically. Of all the returning skaters, I really don't think one can hold anything against a guy who had to take a year off for medical reasons - unlike skaters who had to take three years off to do shows. If Stephane had announced like Dai that he was injured and out for the year, nobody would be complaining. Maybe he really thought he was done for good.

But I do feel for all the skaters who've put in the effort to stay in competitive skating despite the difficulty, the injuries and the cost: it's not just Lysacek, but people like Joubert, Johnny Weir, Robin and Aliona, Caro Kostner. On the other hand, it could end up being like Lillehammer, in which case only Shen and Zhao will win ;). And if the best skaters in Vancouver end up being from the group who took time off, well, I hope it'll be with fantastic performances and not some blah Torino-like "may the least awful skaters medal".

Re Stephane, my main concern is that his ambition in this case is not in his best interest medically. I would hate to see him jeopardize his health, esp. since he's not pain-free at this time and will have to do really intense training to be ready for the season. Of all the announced comebacks, this one worries me the most. It would be awful for him to go out there and cause the kind of damage to his hip/knee that would impact him not just on the ice, like what happened with Yagudin. What is left for Stephane to prove?

Of course, if this does work out, I would love to see Stephane on the podium. In fact, the 2008 Euros podium works for me, just not in that order :biggrin:.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hmmm....makes me think of Elvis Stojko returning to compete at the Olympics after his injury. Did not work so well for him. Good luck to Stephane.

shine

Record Breaker
Re Stephane, my main concern is that his ambition in this case is not in his best interest medically. I would hate to see him jeopardize his health, esp. since he's not pain-free at this time and will have to do really intense training to be ready for the season. Of all the announced comebacks, this one worries me the most. It would be awful for him to go out there and cause the kind of damage to his hip/knee that would impact him not just on the ice, like what happened with Yagudin. What is left for Stephane to prove?
I'm sure when he announced his retirement back in late 2008, he was serious about it, and felt that it wasn't worth it anymore to be fighting injuries all the time just to win skating competitions. There was an article that came out more recently in which he talked about having found a very good physical therapist in Toronto and it has helped him greatly. I don't think he'd be jeopardizing his health for the Olympics especially with Plushenko's come back. If he's just in for the Olympic gold there's simply too much of a cost. He knows very well that he's not guaranteed the gold (or any medal) and he wouldn't be doing this if he didn't feel that his health and training are balanced. I think he's smart enough to know what he's doing at this point.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I really don't think one can hold anything against a guy who had to take a year off for medical reasons - unlike skaters who had to take three years off to do shows. If Stephane had announced like Dai that he was injured and out for the year, nobody would be complaining. Maybe he really thought he was done for good.

But I do feel for all the skaters who've put in the effort to stay in competitive skating despite the difficulty, the injuries and the cost: it's not just Lysacek, but people like Joubert, Johnny Weir, Robin and Aliona, Caro Kostner

B?:pTaking years off to do shows sounds to me a bit simplified when we speak about athletes. Like Sasha or Plush i guess?The reason someone retires is completely personal, they maybe tired, they maybe completely fed up, their body cant hold intense training anymore or they have fullfilled their personal ambitions, or even they want this show money since fs is not a sport that pays off.

And if costner , weir, lysacek, jouby or anyone you mentioned had won an olympic medal maybe they would have retired as well. Actually i m sure about some of them. Isnt their effort to keep skating their personal choice to fullfil their dreams maybe?I dont see it as a sacrifice.

And despite the difficulty and the injuries the retired athletes had stayed also in competitions once upon another time. It is not like their road was full of roses.

Personally I find it normal stephan or anyone can change his mind a million times, cause I change mine about what to eat every two hours. If they can be back, it is good. I dont mind if stephan will manage the podium cause just the applause is enough.:clap:And i hope he stays healthy! But i wish he will be on the podium. :rock:Actually I just realised I need a biiiiiiiiiiigger podium:biggrin:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
To make the men´s event at these Olys truely perfect, all we need, for me anyway, is for Alexei Yagudin to return!!!! (like that´s ever going to happen!)

madibe

On the Ice
I AM SO EXCITED!! :clap:Anyone know if he will reprise his Tango that he was to use last season? This, IMO was great for shows and already had some IJS elements built into it. If he reuses it, he will have time to focus on other things and continue to rehabilitate.

Comparing Lambiel and Lysacek is preferring tea over coffee. It shouldn't matter. They are competitors and should be respected as such. Neither did anything wrong.

I think what is behind the passion for comebacks (from whomever) is something innate in a person in whatever sport he's returning to, to compete.

We screwed up making figure skating a major sport with silliness. Let's enjoy what's left of the little sport we have without quibbling.

I for one welcome them all back. as Ricardo Montaban would say "Everybody into the pool"..

merrybari

Final Flight
Comparing Lambiel and Lysacek is preferring tea over coffee. It shouldn't matter. They are competitors and should be respected as such. Neither did anything wrong.

I think what is behind the passion for comebacks (from whomever) is something innate in a person in whatever sport he's returning to, to compete.

We screwed up making figure skating a major sport with silliness. Let's enjoy what's left of the little sport we have without quibbling.

I for one welcome them all back. as Ricardo Montaban would say "Everybody into the pool"..

:clap::thumbsup: Good post Joe! ITA!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I AM SO EXCITED!! :clap:Anyone know if he will reprise his Tango that he was to use last season? This, IMO was great for shows and already had some IJS elements built into it. If he reuses it, he will have time to focus on other things and continue to rehabilitate.

According to his press release in the first post of this thread Stephane has not chosen his SP yet, but his LP will be an enhancement of his Tango program which he choreographed before his retirement.

Welcome back Stephane!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's always amazing in an Olympic season how many skaters who have "retired" or have taken time off due to injury suddenly surface. I never thought it was fair to the new set of skaters for skaters to return for another shot at the Olympics after they have left the scene, but after Boitano pushed for the rules to change, it seems to be the case. At one time most skaters only participated in one Olympics - maybe two at the most. I imagine they still have that "hunger" for the gold. I remember when Torvill and Dean returned to the 1994 Lillehammer, Norway. I thought they would skate a way with the Gold again, but alas it was not meant to be. They wound up with the bronze.

http://everything2.com/title/Torvill+and+Dean

It's going to be interesting in 2010 at Vancouver to see who does and does not turn up.

jjane45

On the Ice
Everyone please skate safely. That's millions of pounds of force on ankles and knees throughout the competitive season... :bow:

i love to skate

Medalist
I don't need to want respect for Lambiel. He is probably the most respected skater of his generation, praised immensely by nearly every important personality this sport has. He is one of the most impressive artists this sport has ever seen - and still managed to combine that with athletic feats.

I find these points quite an exaggeration. However, I do agree with the rest of your post.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wow!!!!!!

Now we need an announcement from Buttle, so we could have Torino Olympic remake.:biggrin: (I believe Buttle won't come back. He is too smart.)

Are you sure that Lambiel's retirement a year ago was not, at least partly, because of his lacking of motivation? Now he found the motivation he needs, so he wants to compete again?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I just read about this over on Icenetwork.com, and though happy, I'm not surprised, as Evgeni Plushenko already told us he would return several months ago. :)

Truth be told, I've always had a secret crush on Stephane Lambiel, for purely aesthetic reasons, lol, because in my humble opinion he looks like the fabulous German actor, Marco Hofschneider, who in turn looks exactly like my late father (though daddy was a blonde).:love:

Let The Games Begin -- citius, altius, fortius -- and out come the gladiators, the quad kings: Plushenko, Lambiel, Joubert!!!!:clap::bow:

waxel

Final Flight
The stakes just keep getting higher! Shaping up to be a spectacular Men's season. Let's just hope Stephane can train sufficiently while staying healthy.

I assume its too late for GP assignments? Probably best to sit them out anyway. Do the early competitions to "test" the waters, Swiss Nats, Euros and Olys.

I really hope he makes it. Just to see those spins again. Ahhhhhh.