Lambiel will be back | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lambiel will be back

The stakes just keep getting higher! Shaping up to be a spectacular Men's season. Let's just hope Stephane can train sufficiently while staying healthy.

I assume its too late for GP assignments? Probably best to sit them out anyway. Do the early competitions to "test" the waters, Swiss Nats, Euros and Olys.

I really hope he makes it. Just to see those spins again. Ahhhhhh.
There are TBAs in Russia, China (2) and Canada. But I am not sure he would qualify by the Rules.

Wicked

Final Flight
Personally I'm tired of any athletes saying they're retired and unretiring, not just skaters. That's probably because the Brett Favre situation is driving me crazy right now!

I hope Stéphane can do it and I would love to see his tango program with enhanced technical content. I worry that he will get hurt and cut his comeback off before even getting to Vancouver.

MasterB

Final Flight
Now if Kwan announces her return officially, my mega dream is complete.

To all of you complaining about their return, too bad. Competition is competition, let the best one win, even if not my favorite. Besides, what else is there to do for these champions, sell drugs (I know, poor taste in words). And before you say that they can do ice shows, remember that these champions were fierce competitors first.

Besides, what else is there to do for these champions, sell drugs?

This sounds so grim. Actually, these young people have the same opportunities as anyone else. They can go back to school, they can get a job, they can train for a profession, they can devote themselves to charitible works, they can start a business, they can get married and live happily ever after.

Being a successful athlete need not close any doors, and it may even open a few.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hee hee, I'm sure you're over the moon, Medusa! Can't wait to see him back on the ice... it's like having old friends coming back for a visit

KayMil01

On the Ice
If Sasha got GP assignments, why couldn't Stephane? h's only been away 1 season, and he did win the GPF in 2007 (Im not sure of all the rules though.) and that's if Stephane wants GP assignment(s).

psycho

On the Ice
If Sasha got GP assignments, why couldn't Stephane? h's only been away 1 season, and he did win the GPF in 2007 (Im not sure of all the rules though.) and that's if Stephane wants GP assignment(s).
He would have if he decided to comeback say in April, and not the end of July. The GP assignments were done in May, the only way he gets assignments now if people drop out.

madibe

On the Ice
Given his fragile physical condition, it may be best for Stephane not to have a full Grand Prix schedule. He could save energy and lessen the risk for injury by shortening his schedule to the B competitions required to qualify for the Olympics, the Swiss Nationals, European Championships, and then Olympics. If a vacancy appears in a Grand Prix event, he's sure to be at the top of the invite list, but at most I think he should follow Plushenko's lead and skate 1, not 2 events.

Medusa

Record Breaker
hee hee, I'm sure you're over the moon, Medusa! Can't wait to see him back on the ice... it's like having old friends coming back for a visit
Oh, I am dancing on the very top of the moon (well, technically the moon doesn't have a top). :biggrin: I also feel the desperate need to create lots of new Lambiel graphics - but I am currently at my parents' place and lack the required equipment for designing.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Is Ant a fan of Lambiel or I will need a double effort now?:cool:

Lambiel is a tough one for me in that I love his skating but i hate his COP programmes. He's one of the few skaters who's exhibitions i prefer to his competitive skates. He's one skater that is far to confined by the COP and spinning is just the tip of the iceberg. He is by far and away the best male spinner in forever, and when the judging system fails to recognise that, you know you have a faulty judging system.

The only LP of his i've really liked was his flamenco LP which was genious (and based on an exhibition. I hope he uses it for his LP and puts out a clean version of it when it counts.

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
medusa please please please I adore this zebra banner, dont ever take it off....it is soooooo amazing cute like stephan :eek: (sorry Plushy)
Lambiel is a tough one for me in that I love his skating

Thats ok:), so ...one left to go...:biggrin:
;)

He would have if he decided to comeback say in April, and not the end of July. The GP assignments were done in May, the only way he gets assignments now if people drop out.
I think we need someone who can explain the ISU Rules on this. Isn't there an ISU List that gives the next skater on that list a chance use a TBA or a WD?

Meanwhile, Ant, the fact that he demonstrates the performance portion of his program better than any other competitor, describes one of the many weaknesses of the CoP? But you are correct, he's an artist and not just a point-getter. All hail to the points!!

sillylionlove

Medalist
this announcement excites me about as much as the Plushenko announcement excited me.....so that would be zero excitement here. But good luck to him anyway....personally I think the next Olympic champion is oing to be someone that no one expected to win!!

Aw, you didn't like his Chocolat LP? :love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVH-UWB4EaM
Shine - Thank you so much for this clip. I saw that LIVE in Wash,DC Worlds and was stunned by the magnicent combination of musicality and tech. Closest thing to John Curry and I can't choose between the two as the BEST. No matter. I can enjoy both.

I do understand Ant's importance of the Tech as the competitive device to see who can jump the most barrels.

and, I am not against that. I am,maybe, the only fan to say DUMP the SPs and LPs and lets just easily judge the Tech with the CoP. No music is really necessary.

shine

Record Breaker
Joe, you were so lucky! I wish I had seen that performance live! It was that performance that really made me a Stephane uber!

Medusa

Record Breaker
He's one of the few skaters who's exhibitions i prefer to his competitive skates.
The exhibitions since 2007 were really great. But before that I was actually quite underwhelmed with his exhibitions. I mean, that Tosca exhibition in 2005 in that absolutely Tosca-inappropriate costume? And in 2006 he had those completely random popsongs. He has of course the means to make everything look great with his good skating skills and the fantastic spins - but in my opinion he only began skating imaginative and outstanding exhibitions in 2007.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I do understand Ant's importance of the Tech as the competitive device to see who can jump the most barrels.

I honestly have no idea where you drew this conclusion from my post Joe :scratch:

Slowly now to see if you understand what i meant: I said that I love Labiel's skating, but for me me the COP is too constricting for a skater as talented as Lambiel. In his exhibitions he has shown absolute genius in his skating, moves that match the music, true musicality and elements that belong in the programme and above all beautiful spins that work within the programme.

I don't enjoy his COP programmes anywhere near as much as his exhibition programmes because of the fact he has to include 8 jumping passes (regardless of whether the music calls for it) spins and footwork that have to artificially made difficult for levels. This for me, is a bizarre feeling because I tend not to like show skating as much as competitive programmes.

Correct me if i'm wrong but it's you who is all in favour of turning skating into barrel jumping with no music and and costumes no?

EDIT: Shine - i'll have to look up his chocolat LP when i'm not in work (youtube is blocked!) to give it another viewing - i did watch the competition but can't remember this programme.

Ant

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
The exhibitions since 2007 were really great. But before that I was actually quite underwhelmed with his exhibitions. I mean, that Tosca exhibition in 2005 in that absolutely Tosca-inappropriate costume? And in 2006 he had those completely random popsongs. He has of course the means to make everything look great with his good skating skills and the fantastic spins - but in my opinion he only began skating imaginative and outstanding exhibitions in 2007.

Aww but that's part of Lambiel's charms - inappropriate costumes were his thing then :) Seriously though I thought the pop song programmes were absolutely great and the greatest COP antidote. His programme to You're Beautiful more or less in jeans and a long sleaved t-shirt was great - the straightline step seuqence in that program wasn't filled with COP crap, every step and movement (and those gorgeous spread eagles :love:) matched every phrase in the song. The spins that went on forever with subtle changs in position as the melody shifted......it actually made me like some of the songs he skated to just because they reminded me of his skating!

Ant